Connect with us

Health

Abuja National Hospital treats 50,000 patients in 6 months – CMD

Published

on

Abuja National Hospital treats 50,000 patients in 6 months – CMD


Dr Jeff Momoh, Chief Medical Director (CMD), National Hospital, Abuja, says the hospital attended to no fewer than 50,000 patients for routine care in the past six months.

Momoh disclosed this at a joint meeting of Minister of Health and Medical Directors of Government Hospitals in Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Catchment on Thursday in Abuja.

“This year, so far, we have had over 50,000 out patients care at National Hospital compared with 2019 that we had 65,000 patients.

“So, it looks like patients are not coming for routine check because of fear COVID-19.

“In patient admission are over 5, 000 compared with over 6,000 this time last year, again, a slight drop, but nevertheless we have not stop caring for patients,’’ he said.

He told the minister that the hospital had not stopped caring for patients despite lockdown caused by the COVID-19.

“We are still caring for patients and our cancer centre has not shut down for one hour.

“We have witnessed increased patronage because people that supposed to travel abroad now come to us,’’ he said.

According to him, the National Hospital, which is recognised as cancer centre of excellence, has also braced up to treat COVID-19 patients.

“All tertiary hospitals have been faced to manage COVID-19,  so we were asked to set up isolation centre and holding areas, so were able to increase five-bed isolation centre to 28-bed.

“Initially, we were not designated as treatment centre for COVID-19, but we were prepared in case other tertiary hospitals were overwhelmed.

“In short period, all our beds space were filled up. We had to open up a holding area for patients not yet tested. It has helped us to handle emergencies.

“We have a 17-bed holding area and we have seen 118 patients in holding area, not yet tested in our holding area, but critically ill at the point of arrival,’’ he said.

The CMD told the stakeholders that late presentation of cases to the hospital was one of the challenges the hospital had been facing, as those cases would be difficult to handle.

“I want to appeal to Nigerians to always come to the hospital early whenever they are not feeling fine,’’ he said.

In addition, he said the hospital had succeeded in treating 97 COVID-19 patients, discharged 66; 44 currently on admission while six had died.

Earlier, the Minister of Health, Dr Osagie Ehanire, said the ministry in collaboration with the FCTA had established new measures to address issues of very sick persons being denied medical attention in hospitals.

“Efforts to control COVID- 19 was being carried out by most healthcare workers in and around the FCT such that it is getting challenging for patients with other diseases to be attended to, the way they ought to be.

“We must not be at the expense of allowing other diseases that are equally life threatening to begin to thrive and increase mortality.

“It would be a serious setback, if medical services, especially emergency medical service, begin to deteriorate in the wake of fighting COVID-19,” he said.

The minister said his office had been inundated by frequent reports of very sick persons being rejected and abandoned by our hospitals.

“Many have died having been denied attention in hospitals, or told there is no bed, often after they have made marathon journeys from one hospital to the other in search of help.

“This is not acceptable;’’ the minster told the medical directors.

Edited By: Kamal Tayo Oropo/Wale Ojetimi (NAN)

 

Cecilia Ologunagba: is a graduate and a professionally trained journalist, with experience in national news reporting/editing and verification at the News Agency of Nigeria. NNN is a Nigerian online news portal that publishes breaking news in Nigeria, and across the world. Our journalists are honest, fair, accurate, thorough and courageous in gathering, reporting and interpreting news in the best interest of the public, because truth is the cornerstone of journalism and they strive diligently to ascertain the truth in every news report. Contact: editor[at]nnn.com.ng

General news

Renaming Abuja Stadium after Abiola will rub off on sport development — Oramah

Published

on


A leading sports administrator, Mr Ifeanyi Oramah, has said that the recent unveiling of Abuja National Stadium as MKO Abiola Stadium would spur more Nigerians to help develop the country’s sports infrastructure.


In a statement on Monday, Oramah commended President Muhammadu Buhari for renaming Abuja National Stadium after late Chief MKO Abiola, the acclaimed winner of the June 12, 1993 Presidential Election.

Oramah, Chief Executive of Oramah Sports Academy, said President Buhari’s gesture was beyond politics and had reignited unusual interests in sports infrastructural development among benevolent Nigerians.

“With this progress, I see Nigeria returning to our glorious years in sports where we had upwardly mobile Nigerians like the late Chief MKO Abiola nurturing to success, great clubs and investing heavily in sports development.

“It is a natural thing that when people know that their legacies would be nurtured even in death, they would not think twice to venture into promoting whatever they believe in and evolve legacies and infrastructure that would outlive them,” said Oramah.

He also commended Ministers of the Federal Capital Territory, Musa Bello as well as Sports and Youth Development, Sunday Dare, for their undaunted efforts toward the realization of the renaming.

According to him, the sports minister has exhibited uncommon brilliance, quality leadership and humanity in the discharge of his duties

Oramah called for revival of grassroots and school sports in order discover new talents and regain Nigeria’s lost sporting glory.

“In the past, youth sports events, including inter house sports, produced budding athletes who later grew into top sports men and women.

“What happened to the Head masters’ Cup, Principal Cup, The Academicals a.k.a Acada Cup, the Nigeria  university Games (NUGA), to name but a few.

“These were competitions that exposed young talents which the country had harnessed in the past for sports laurels such as the Under 17 World Cup, Atlanta ’94 and the Olympics etc,” Orama said.

He noted that most of the players were products of local age grade football competitions and urged government to create the environment for private sector participation in sports development.

“Sport is serious business and should not be left only in the hands of government,” he said.

Edited By: Wale Ojetimi (NAN)

Continue Reading

Entertainment

COVID -19: Naira Marley Abuja concert generates criticism on social media

Published

on


Nigerians have criticised the “Drive in Concert,” hosted by Nigerian Singer, Azeez Fashola, popularly known as Naira Marley, on Saturday in Abuja.


Most Nigerians who took to their social media handles on Sunday, described the concert as careless disobedience to guidelines  amidst the raging Coronavirus pandemic ravaging the world.

The Drive In concert, organised by Play Network Africa,  took place at the Jabi Lake Mall car park, Abuja,  from 4pm- 9pm with over 100 FCT residents in attendance to watch Naira Marley as he performed on stage.

The News Agency of Nigeria recalls that the Federal Government had ordered social distancing  and inter-state travel ban in Nigeria to help curb the spread of COVID-19.

The organisers of the event had initially announced on Instagram (IG) @playnetworkafr,  that it was hosting a 100 car capacity event with a maximum of four persons in a car.

However, the event took a turn,  when the Mafo Crooner, started performing and party lovers stepped out of their cars to party and take videos, pictures.

NAN reports that Naira Marley,  also known as the president of his controversial fan base, “Marlians”.

Nigerians had however, gone on several Social media outlets to express their dissatisfaction on the turn of events,  stating how the FG violation by the party attendees could be a threat to other innocent Nigerians who did not attend the event, in relation to the pandemic. 

Here are some comments concerned Nigerians left on Instagram and Twitter.

On IG, responding to a post of the concert by the popular @instablog9ja,@datenaija1 said: “It was supposed to be a park in concert. They were supposed to remain in their car. Everything was going fine until Naira Marley stepped to the  stage and unfortunately Marlians don’t have manners.

@mzadapearl said: “Naira Marley and rule breaking is like 5 and 6.

@sylvastores said: “I guess we have gotten to the stage where we say may the best immune system win.

On Twitter, @NaijaViralz said: “Despite the exponential rise of COVID-19 cases, singer, Naira Marley performed on stage at a concert with massive attendance by other ‘COVIDIOTS’  in Nigeria’s capital city, Abuja.

@E-zrael Ani said “They restricted inter-state travels yet Naira Marley still round a way to teleport himsef and his team from Lagos to Abuja.

@Instablog9ja said: “So Naira Marley has a concert in Abuja in the middle of a pandemic and the place was packed full of people. Do people not care about their lives or they don’t believe COVID -19 is real?.

NAN also reports that in attendance with Naira Marley from Lagos was Chinonso Opara A.K.A Kim Oprah, Ex-BBNaija housemate as he had shared on his IG page @nairamarley, a video of when he, Kim Oprah and his crew landed Abuja.

#Nairamarley for the past 3 hours,  trended on Twitter,  as number one with so many people commenting about the controversial concert.

Those who were unable to get tickets to the venue as all tickets were sold out on Nairabox, stared at the stage from the top car park of the mall for free and partied alongside those who had access to the stage.

Edited By: Chioma Ugboma/Sadiya Hamza (NAN)

 

Continue Reading

Foreign

269 Nigerians stranded in India arrive Lagos, Abuja

Published

on


The Nigerian in Diaspora Commission (NiDCOM), on Saturday, confirmed the arrival of 269 Nigerians that were stranded in India in Lagos and Abuja.


The commission, who announced their arrival on its Twitter handle, said that the the 269 Nigerians arrived Nigeria at  2:00 a.m.

NiDCOM said that evacuees were received from India at the Lagos and Abuja airports.

” 103 in Lagos and 166 in Abuja passages arrived today, Saturday, June 13, at about 2:00 a.m, after a few hours of delay.

“All evacuees are now on compulsory 14 days Self Isolation according to the new Protocol, ” it said.

It was gathered that 103 evacuees arrived at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos, while 166 others landed at the Nnamdi Azikwe International Airport, Abuja.

Edited /Felix Ajide

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

NAF inaugurates Helipad along Kaduna-Abuja highway to tackle banditry

Published

on


The Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Sadiq Abubakar, on Friday, inaugurated a Helipad at Katari village along Kaduna-Abuja highway to strengthen the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) response to security challenges in the area.


Katari general area was a notorious base of bandits and kidnappers who terrorised motorists plying the Abuja-Kaduna highway.

“It’s paramount for our surveillance aircraft to utilize this platform with a view to have easy access to fuelling without necessarily extending their flight to either Kaduna or Abuja axis,” Abubakar said.

The Air Chief, who was represented by the Air Officer Commanding Air Traing Command Kaduna, AVM Musa Mukhtar, said the helipad was crucial to ending security challenges along Kaduna-Abuja expressway and its environs.

“It is generally known that before now, plying this highway has been a nightmare to motorists because of the persistent attacks by bandits and kidnappers.

“It is out of the wisdom of the Chief of Defence Staff that originated the idea of deploying NAF Special Forces to compliment the initial deployment initiated by the Nigerian Army, Nigeria Police and Civil Defence as well as Defence Intelligence Operations.

“With the joining of the NAF Special Forces, I deem it necessary to establish a helipad so that it will give greater endurance for helicopters operating within Kaduna and Abuja as they refuel here.

“I am also pleased to state that with the establishment of this formation, we are gradually moving to the threshold of total destruction of kidnapping cells and banditry within Kaduna State and environs.”

The Air Chief said that in the last four months, there  has been no incident of kiddnaping along the Kaduna-Abuja highway.

“Our air offensive in the on-going military campaign in the Zamfara and Birnin Gwari have so far, greatly contributed to the achievements of the Nigerian Military offensive against banditry.

“However, this is not the time to relent. We have to continue fighting until all the local communities are free to live their normal lives.

“That is why we deemed it imperative to deploy Special Force and Air support for both surveillance and striking.

“It is our duty to protect the lives and properties of law abiding citizens, it is also part of our mandate to frustrate the effort of bandits and kidnappers from terrorising the locals,” Abubakar said.

He appreciated President Muhammadu Buhari’s overwhelming support to the Air Force, and challenged the personnel to give their all in the fight against security challenges.

“It is therefore our collective responsibility to sanitise our major roads for commutters and liberate the locals from the fear of Armed robbery, kidnapping and bandits attacks.

“Our loyalty and service to the nation must always be our motivation.”

Earlier, the Commander Operation Officer, Air Training Command, Air Cmdr Nnaemeka Ilo, said the inauguration of the helipad would strengthen the ongoing Operation Thunder Strike and boost the morale of personnel in confronting contemporary threats to National Security.

Also, the Chairman of Kachia Local Government, Mr Peter Agite appreciate the efforts of the NAF and the military in dealing with criminals elements in the area.

Agite appealed to the locals to support the military by providing useful information on the movement of criminals in the locality for prompt action.

Edited By: Maharazu Ahmed (NAN)

Continue Reading

Contact US: editor @nnn.com.ng, nnnnews247 @gmail.com

COVID-19 Update in Nigeria – NCDC Coronavirus Records VIDEO: Hydroxychloroquine is a CURE for COVID-19, Dr Stella Immanuel insists Over 6,800 illegal immigrants rescued off Libyan coast in 2020 Obaseki denies alleged unfair award of contract to ICPC Dollar slips as yields dive on recovery worries Oil prices snap four-day winning streak as COVID-19 cases grow Mobile Police Training School, not personal asset of I-G – Police CAS task NAF cadets on core values of integrity, service before self COVID-19: Nigeria’s total hits 44,433 as NCDC announces 304 new cases, 910 deaths PPMC fixes ex-depot price of PMS at N138.62 per litre MNJTF assures surrendered Boko Haram terrorists of humane treatment 95% of students in exit classes resume in FCT   Obaseki’s administration has restored pride, dignity of Edo people – Shaibu Gov. AbdulRazaq sets up commission of inquiry on Kwara assets Buhari congratulates new NMA President, Prof. Innocent Ujah on election UN, United States commiserate with Lebanon over deadly explosions Manchester City sign Valencia winger on 5-year deal Ex-lawmaker emerges Ondo PDP chairman Nadal to skip United States Open due to COVID-19 concerns, as organisers announce entries Bank robbery: Police arrest 3 more suspects in Oyo Food sufficiency: Osun commissioner inaugurates ‘Wave City’ project Fulham back in EPL after Bryan’s extra time double in playoff final Safety Compliance: LASWA impounds engines of 6 erring ferry operators Resumption: Unity schools’ Principals in Lagos assure parents, guardians of students’ safety Police warn private owners against opening schools to all students New York’s health commissioner resigns over COVID-19 handling LASG holds consultative forum for Y2021 Budget, adopts holistic approach to COVID-19 Limit your speed on highways to avoid crashes, FRSC urges motorists Resumption: Lagos schools comply with COVID-19 protocols Robogarden set to empower education stakeholders on coding technology Gov. Sule condemns killing of journalist, others in Nasarawa state Opposition lawmakers leading anti-corruption investigations says Elumelu Edo 2020: Nothing unusual about lawmakers backing candidates of their choice – Edo speaker Man, 18, docked for allegedly smoking Indian hemp publicly  Kaduna State maternity, paternity leave bill to be ready by end of 2020- El’Rufai’s wife Risks of COVID-19 infection through breastfeeding negligible — WHO Zamfara Govt directs schools to resume on August 9 NSE: Trading sustains positive trend, up by 0.31% 30 stranded Nigerians in Lebanon rescued, among 150 awaiting evacuation – NIDCOM ILO records universal ratification on Child Labour Convention Flood: FCTA demolishes 102 houses in Gwagwalada 75% of vehicles plying 3rd Mainland Bridge ‘ll still be captured-  FRSC Kaduna govt spends N16 bn on security in 5 years – El-Rufai Nigeria Airforce partners local Engineering coy for improved services High turnout of students as schools resume for exit class in FCT APC working towards having data bank for members – Sen. Ali Intervene in 37-year-old kingship tussle in Ikire, Residents urge Osun govt. EEDC nabs 2 suspected electricity installation vandals Sokoto: BESDA pledges to enrol 300,000 out-of-school children in 4 years Police arraign man, 40, over alleged N162,000 fraud Security Challenges: You must rejig security strategy, Buhari tells Security Chiefs Alleged $3m bribe: Appeal Court dismisses Farouk Lawan’s no-case -submission