) Five times African Wrestling Champion, Odunayo Adekuoroye of Ondo State, on Monday defended her 57kg category title by defeating Bayelsa’s Patience Kakanda by technical superiority at the Gov. Dickson National Wrestling Classics.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Adekuoroye won the gold medal in the first 25 seconds of the bout by pin fall known as technical superiority.
NAN also reports that Adekuoroye’s gold medal had automatically qualified her to represent Nigeria at the 12th African Games holding in Morocco in August.
Adekuoroye was a bronze medalist in the 2015 World Championships in Las Vegas, U.S, and a silver medalist at the 2017 World Championships in France.
She was also a gold medalist at the 2016 Grand Prix of Azerbaijan and a 2014 and 2018 Commonwealth Champion.
Adekuoroye was also a 2017 sports woman of the year awardee and 2018 wrestler of the year awardee in Nigeria.
She told NAN after her victory that work had just begun, saying the task ahead was to win the gold at the African Games.
“I give God all the glory, this is possible because of His grace. Now I have to intensify more efforts to train ahead of the African Games,” she said.
The states taking part in the competition are Akwa Ibom, Cross Rivers, Delta, Edo, Bauchi, Kano,Kogi, Ondo Oyo, Ogun, Osun, Niger, Nassara, Bayelsa, Lagos,Plateau,Adamawa, Kebbi,Sokoto,Zamfara,Ebonyi and Enugu.
The FCT as well as clubs such as Federal Road Safety Corps, Nigeria Navy, NSCDC, Nigeria Army, Ayala Club,Purity Club,Robinson Club, Calabar Cannan Club, Nigeria Police Force and Edo Club are also participating.
NAN reports that no fewer than 513 wrestlers and 150 officials are participating in the competition which commenced on June 24 and will end on Monday.
( Edited by Mufutau Ojo)
- LASG grants three-month moratorium to MSMEs
- 10,000 farmers to benefit from World Bank assisted project in Lagos — Commissioner
- Canada’s current account deficit up
- U.S. House speaker says George Floyd “murdered” at hands of police
- Court acquits man charged with sexually assaulting neighbour’s child
- U.S. blueberry growers see huge opportunity in China
- Libya, Malta sign anti-illegal immigration deal
- Roundup: Italy records over 150,000 COVID-19 recoveries, death toll at 33,142
- El-Rufai, others laud Amaechi’s selfless service at 55
- Most UN humanitarian aid programs will have to end in Yemen: panel
- Jordan reiterates rejection of Israeli annexation of Palestinian territories
- COVID-19: Abia records three new confirmed cases, total number rises to 10
- Cypriot cabinet ratifies agreement on EastMed pipeline project
- COVID-19: Nigerian-British bilateral relationship remains strong – envoy
- Brazil unemployment rises to 12.6 pct amid COVID-19 lockdown
- Stakeholders urge Enugu Assembly to review state urban, regional plan law
- Returning to old, discredited frameworks, systems “out of the question,” says UN chief
- Fire rips through crowded Cameroon prison
- Zamfara: Police partner ex bandits, rescue 12 kidnap victims -PPRO
- LG polls: Benue PDP chairman optimistic of victory