Gombe State Agricultural Development Programme (GSADP) says cereal crops planted late are at high risk of stem-borer infestation.
According to him, some farms in Gombe are destroyed by stem-borers following late planting of the crops.
He said although the rain started early in some places and late in others, adding that the ones that experienced late rainfall were at high risk of stem borer because of late planting.
“The escape mechanism for stem borer is to plant early or look for early maturing varieties of crops.
“Those who were unable to plant early should make arrangements to apply some chemicals against the pest,” he said.
Stem-borer is a common pest in many African countries which makes holes in the stem of cereal crops.
He said during a visit to a Sasskawa Demonstration Farm in Filiya Shongom Local Government Area of the state, the entire farm was devastated by the pest.
He said some farmers across the state reported similar cases to the ADP seeking for some technical support.
Kaltungo said the pest could be devastating if not addressed immediately because it mostly attacked the brain of the crops thereby distorting the growth process.
He said that even if the crops affected by stem borer were treated and some portions of the farm were recovered, definitely the yield would still be low.
He advised farmers to inspect their farms regularly and report any changes to ADP for technical advice.
- FMC Yenagoa marks 20th anniversary with free medical outreach for host community
- Anambra: Ojukwu varsity inducts 47 doctors, as Obiasor carts home 12 awards
- NNPC set to take measures to curb oil theft
- Gov. Ishaku tasks state governments on Human Rights promotion
- International Human Rights Day: U.S. Consulate urges empowerment of local leaders empowerment to protect citizens rights
- National security: Air Chief assures best training for NAF personnel
- Abuse: Create platforms for students to rate lecturers anonymously- Gender Activist
- DMO clarifies Nigeria’s external debt
- 35 land grabbing cases pending in Lagos courts – attorney-general
- LSFVCB arrests 30 sellers of pirated films
- Don calls for integration of orature into universities curriculum
- Lagos courts to go digital in 2020 — AG
- Anchor Borrowers:CBN tasks cotton farmers on prompt repayment of agric loans
- ICMPD to train 500 teacher-trainers on mainstreaming trafficking in persons into NCE
- College of Insurance partners international organisations to boost status
- Hate speech: NBC urges FG to promote news literacy, professional journalism
- Improve capacity building in medical image analysis, computer vision- Expert
- Jigawa, Kaduna, Delta tops 2018 states budget transparency – Report
- Swedish envoy urges strategic action, awareness creation against gender-based violence
- N80 bn budget for 23 Kaduna LGAs scales 2nd reading
- Nigeria supports global efforts on elimination of Nuclear weapons
- Yuletide: Stop using fake, substandard tyres to avoid road crashes- Olagunju
- NDLEA destroys 11,669 kg of illicit drugs worth N1.65bn in Nasarawa
- British Council presents development grants to women groups in Adamawa
- UN wants Somali youth to promote human rights protection for stability
- Institute solicits FG’s support to provide detailed survey, soil resources mapping
- Boris Johnson under fire as health survey finds many die in emergency wait
- 4 Brigade Troops arrest 5 for suspected murder, armed robbery
- Russian separatists in Ukraine signal support for peace deal
- Minister expresses concern over human trafficking
- Experts advocate mental health therapy for GBV victims
- Yuletide: Oyeyemi warns transport unions against overloading, speeding
- Israel reaffirms commitment to partnering Nigeria on agric technology, entrepreneurship devt
- Promote rule of law over self interest, Oyo Speaker urges lawyers
- Berlin declares emergency in climate
- Emir of Karaye lauds NMA over contribution to community health
- Nigeria Immigration Service Deputy CG, Anene, retires
- SWAN commends Gov. Abdulrazaq over baseball park renovation
- Germany working on defense system to protect airports from drones
- Buhari calls for multilateral approach to combat terrorism
- NECO: EFCC arrests vice-principal, 2 others over exam malpractice in Ilorin
- No reprieve for Hungary in EU grilling over rule of law concerns
- Without convergence, single currency will be catastrophic – ECOWAS Commission President
- Forgive me, Fayose begs aggrieved PDP members
- $22.7 loan request meant for infrastructure- FG
- A’Ibom 2020 budget: Group says N4bn for education “too paltry”
- Katsina state govt. establishes 5 new irrigation schemes
- Sudan: Al-Bashir questioned over 1989 coup that brought him to power
- FG launches N46.83bn agric. scheme in 9 oil producing states
- Zambia gov’t says ready for talks to abolish death penalty