ADRON Homes, a property management company, has unveiled ex-international, Peter Rufai, former queen of the tracks, Mary Onyali, and a former heavyweight boxing champion, Bash Alli, as sports ambassadors.
also reports that the fourth edition of the games tagged, ‘Festival of Fitness, ‘ would hold between Oct. 11 and Oct. 13 in Ibadan.
Rufai, who said that the importance of sports and fitness could not be overemphasised, commended the company for promoting sports through the competition.
“I want to emphasise on the importance of sports which Adron homes had taken on with a real big jump in organising this festival of fitness.
“The claim I want to make, everyone here understands, that what I studied in school was just apprentice electrical engineering
“Sports made me a graduate of Business Administration and who I am today,” he said.
He stressed that the initiative would further help in repositioning sports and the future of a family.
Aisha Falode, the Chairman of Nigeria Women Premier League, canvassed the incorporation of women footballers in the country into the company’s housing plans.
Falode said that housing was very critical to their retirement, saying the players would all love to key into such arrangement at subsidised rate.
She commended Adron Homes for promoting healthy living through the fitness festival.
Alli, on his part, said that regular exercise was the best way to cut hospital bills.
“My first bout in Nigeria was in 1987 against US Kevin Wagstaff. I started my career here in Ibadan and I’m glad to be here and promoting this good initiative,” he said.
Earlier, Adetola Emmanuelking, the Group Managing Director of the company, said the games was an annual fitness and bonding initiative aimed at promoting a healthy life style and physical fitness.
Emmanuelking said that sports was a rallying activity in most cultures and also considered as big business all over the world.
“We created the games to cement friendship and unity among corporate organisations and our nation.
” The last three editions were held in Lagos.
“But now the games is going through different states hence the venue of Oyo State for this year’s edition,” he said.
He acknowledged the victorious performance of the country’s athletes at the recently concluded All African Games in Morocco.
“Our national football team were top three at the 32nd edition of the African Cup of Nations. We have a world heavy weight boxing champion.
“These shows that sports give recognition and also command attention, it is universally known as the key to building a better future.
“Unfortunately we often take sports and leisure for granted. Our goal is to promote and uphold sports generally,” he said.
Emmanuelking said government and other corporate organisations must begin to encourage and appreciate the power in sports generally.
“The positive impact of sporting activities on individuals and society cannot be over emphasised.
“The value and effect of playing sports is bountiful, so we want to get more people being physically active and safely from young age.
“When fit, one will be active throughout their life no matter their economic or social background,” he said.
He added that Adron as a socially responsible organisation was convinced that sports and physical activity were essential to enhancement of well-being.
reports that the event, which also featured the unveiling of the Adron Games 2019 Logo, was attended by some Nigerian ex-internationals, including Mutiu Adepoju, Ajibade Babalade and Ike Shorunmu.
(Edited by Mufutau Ojo)
- Ebonyi NOA, UNICEF move to raise awareness on safe practices for healthy living
- 2019 INAC: Ogun woos visitors to explore tourism assets
- Centre trains Armory managers from 15 countries to curtail arms proliferation
- Gridlock: Lagos Assembly asks Sanwo-Olu to focus on scheduled maintenance
- KDSG urges religious leaders to spread messages of peace
- Lagos House of Assembly approves N250bn loan for capital projects
- AFRIMA- Stakeholders urge artistes to utilise digital platforms for distribution
- Artist drums up support for the Art sector
- Experts call for private sector participation in health security
- Ogun govt. advocates modern teaching techniques for special schools
- A.Y partners Chinese firm to produce new movie `30 days’
- NAN Acting MD tasks staff on commitment “in spite of financial challenges”
- Plateau: NPC launches 2018 NDHS report
- Chris Brown welcomes second child with girlfriend
- ENSG targets 1m children in immunisation plus days
- Resign, aggrieved APC NEC members tell Oshiomhole
- INAC 2019: Culture agency provides free skills training
- Friendly environment: Minister urges public-private sector collaboration
- Why God’s ways remain unpredictable, incomprehensible – Don
- Air Chief pleased with maintenance progress on Alpha Jets In NAF Base
- EU tasks AU on solidarity, unity for AfCFTA to succeed
- Town Hall meeting stakeholders advocate interface reps
- Webber donates N9m sports facilities to alma mater
- Lawmaker lays foundation for block of six classrooms in Badagry
- Kwara Govt. tasks new NURTW executives on peace, unity
- Customs Comptroller-General to sack officers living above earnings
- NIS begins E-passport, biometric visa issuance in Japan
- Burundian Ambassador calls for proper funding of science innovation
- Ghanaian Parliamentarian says Nigeria closure of border affects trade
- NiMet predicts sunny, thundery activities for Saturday
- Nigeria, S’Africa mull MoU on assets recovery -Magu
- I’m not going to attempt 3rd term, says Buhari
- Army: Over 1,000 persons benefit from free medical care in Ibadan
- VC’s not against IPPIS: Prof. Kimbir
- EFCC uncovers alleged fraud of N5bn from Kwara revenue fund
- Zamfara Assembly reaffirms suspension of Shinkafi LG chairman
- Researchers find 1,000 yr old Viking-era ship in western Norway
- Police in Benue discover 3 family members dead in a room
- Iranian cleric says protest leaders deserve death sentence
- South African Airways inks deal to end eight-day strike
- WHO: Inactivity puts health of adolescents worldwide at risk
- Niger governor’s aide trains journalists on digital media
- Navy decorates 16 new Rear Admirals
- NAN acting MD, other management staff in Lafia for 2-day retreat
- FG lauds capacity to tackle public health threats
- Traders count losses over Oyingbo market closure
- SEC reviewing NSE demutualisation application, assures transparent process
- Experts say green policies, legal routes needed for climate refugees
- Osinbajo receives Oduduwa University founder at Aso Villa
- Sokoto Judgement: APC heads to Supreme Court