AFCON 2019: Football fans urge Rohr to consider home based players
Ilorin, May 14,2019 ( NAN) Football fans in Ilorin have called on Super Eagles Coach, Gernot Rohr to consider proven home based players in his team selection for the forthcoming Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) in Egypt scheduled for June.
One of the fans, Saheed Usman, said some home based players deserve to be selected to showcase their talent on the big stage.
” We have talented players plying their trade in the Nigerian League and they are better than some foreign based players.
” Rohr should critically look inward and select those that are ready to play for their fatherland and not select big names that warm benches in Europe,” he said.
Another soccer fan, Mr Rotimi Adeoke, advised the Eagles Coach to select the best legs to represent Nigeria and not base his team selection on big stars.
” There is no need to respect any player because he plays in Manchester united, Chelsea, Barcelona or Liverpool. Select the ones that are ready to play for their fatherland.
” There are some players in the Nigerian League that have the hunger and zeal to play for Nigeria. Don’t beg or force any player to play irrespective of his status,” he said.
On his part, Philip Ikechukwu, said Nigeria based players are equally talented as much as the hyped Europen players and deserve to be selected.
” Rohr must not look down on home based players. He needs to give them chance to encourage and promote our league. You can’t write them off in order to favour foreign based players,” said Ikechukwu.
Another enthusiast Femi Idowu, said Nigerians expect nothing but victory from the Super Eagles in June. We want the Gold and nothing less.
” The Coach, players and fans have alot to do to inspire them to victory. No need to underate any opponent. No more underdog in football.
” Rohr and his boys must be determined to conquer Africa once more. he 2013 victory is past and we need another celebration,” he said.
NAN reports that the Super Eagles are drawn in Group B with Burundi,Guinea and Madagscar for the 2019 AFCON billed to hold in Egypt from June 21 to July 19.
- Waste managers pledge to upgrade disposal trucks for better service
- Police nab man for allegedly killing neighbour with Dane gun in Niger
- Pope to give ‘strictly private’ audience to embattled Maltese premier
- Samoa’s measles death toll rises to 65 amid state of emergency
- Von der Leyen calls for ‘unity’ between Europe, AU
- Tree planting, panacea to climate change problems- Environmentalist
- Eddie Ugbomah, Joke Silva, others honoured with Movie Rock of Fame Award
- Firefighters battle more than 100 blazes across Australian state
- AOC tasks personnel on physical fitness to tackle security challenges
- Kenya gov’t confirms ambush that killed 8 was terrorist attack
- 2019 ZUMA Film Festival closes with grand awards gala
- $900,000 Grant: Niger Govt. to sensitise communities on urban policy
- Jigawa, Chinese Hunan province sign agreement on agriculture
- Missing cash: 4 quizzed NSCDC back to post at Bayelsa govt. house
- U.S. Supreme Court blocks plans to bring back federal death penalty
- MURIC hails Buhari for nomination of new NAHCON boss
- Immigration boss inaugurates new quarter guard
- Insecurity: Niger Govt. donates vehicles, motorcycles to Army
- Osinbajo harps on culture, tourism in new world order
- Customs boss seeks separate budget for staff college
- ICT bedrock of any sub specialty, says Kebbi first lady
- NIDCOM condemns attack on Amaechi in Spain
- Kubwa Traffic: FCTA task team to close Gwarinpa U-turn
- Ahead of institute’s convocation, alumni call for improved attention to tourism
- Gov. Sule sets up committee on implementation of minimum wage
- Onu advocates inclusion of innovation in educational curriculum
- Tunisia foils illegal immigration attempt
- FG reaffirms commitment to establishing National Policy on Nanotechnology
- FCCPC to enforce passenger insurance on fleet operators
- Gov. Obaseki signs N179.2bn Appropriation Bill for Edo
- Nigerian Customs not afraid to take bold decisions
- TETFund retrieves N10bn from non-performing institutions
- Budget: We’re poised to exercise our constitutional mandate–Zamfara Speaker
- Police deploy new CP to Adamawa for LG Election
- Buratai tasks officers on improvement on current successes
- Agency begins taxpayer engagement to enhance revenue collection – Chairman
- Boko Haram abducts 18 in Cameroon’s Far North region
- Emir seeks abolition of GRA in llorin
- Apapa 72 hours road closure: FG seeks understanding for construction works
- EFCC nabs 4 suspects over alleged fraudulent business in Sokoto, Kebbi states
- Gov. Sule, Al-Makura deny friction over alleged inherited debts
- 40 youths receive N7.5m grant from IITA, AfricaRice project
- Zambia says plans to re-launch national airline active
- NSE moves 197.04m shares worth N3.53bn in bearish trading
- Yuletide: FRSC warns drivers against overloading, speeding in Sokoto
- Kwara Customs Command takes anti-smuggling campaign to border communities
- FCT minister lauds sharia court for being responsive
- AOT Lagos 1.0: Tech entrepreneurs advise startups on business sustainability
- Mental wellbeing is an inalienable right of every Nigerian – NGO
- NAF trains 3,629 personnel to meet Nigeria’s dynamic security challenges