AFCON U-17: Angola beat Nigeria for third place
Abuja, April 27,2019 Nigeria National Under-17 Male Football Team on Saturday lost to their Agolan counterparts 2-1 at the 2019 U-17 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) in Tanzania.
In their Match Day 3 fixtures played at the Chamazi Stadium in Dar es Salaam, Nigeria faced Angola on their second meeting at the 2019 CAF; U-17 Africa Cup of Nations, in the third place play-off.
Nigeria team translated their dominance to the required goals within two minutes with Wisdom Ubani’s equalizer making the point draw at half hour.
On the resumption of the second half, Porfirio Abrantes was sent off for Angola, but the Nigerians lads failed to break down their resolute opponents and thus settled for a fourth place reward.
News Agency of Nigeria reports that the names of leading scorers in the ongoing championship are Osvaldo Pedro Campemba of Angolan with four goals, Wisdom Ubani with three goals, while (Tawfix Bentajebs of Morroco, Edmund Godfrey of Tanzania, and Akinkunmi Amoo of Nigeria have two goals each.
NNN further reports that the competition continues on Sunday with Guinea trading tackles with Cameroon in the final match of the championship.
The Eaglets may have been knocked out of the championship, but the four countries, including Nigeria, which played the semi-finals have automatically qualified to participate in the 2019 FIFA U-17 World Cup in Brazil.
- Gambari appeals to govt. to provide enabling environment for affordable housing
- Ugandan Nakalembe wins opening round at Nigeria Ladies Open Golf Championship
- Imo NDLEA confirms arrest of alleged notorious drug dealer
- Multiple accident claims 13 lives on Lagos-Ibadan expressway
- APC NWC upholds suspension of Edo party’s chairman
- I will be most excited person if I win 2021 AFCON for Nigeria, Rohr says
- Don tasks FG on production of West Africa Dwarf goat
- Medical doctors urged to draw line between profession ethics and business
- Buhari meets Pearson Educational Group mgt. in London
- Chemical engineers call for policies to promote smart agricultural value chain
- Nigerians seek tougher actions against corruption
- Gov. Matawalle reassures Zamfara citizens of his commitment to security
- Kogi: FCT minister drums support for Bello
- Super Eagles ‘ll grow into AFCON qualifiers, says Akanni
- Obaseki has failed Edo people, says PDP
- Makinde appoints Ex-Rep. Ogunwuyi DG, Investments, PPP Agency
- ZMSG to resuscitate 5 abandoned ginneries—-Gov. Matawalle
- PDP rejects hate speech bill
- Businessman arraigned over alleged importation of 13 containers of substandard cables
- International GIS Day: Expert calls for GIS inculcation in STEM study