“During a rescue mission in the Baghlan-e Markazi district of Baghlan, 34 people were freed, including Afghan forces and civilians,’’ said a spokesman for the Afghan Defence Ministry, Zubair Arif.
Taliban militants control vast areas of the district, though the district centre and police headquarter are still controlled by the government, according to officials.
“At the same time, 13 prisoners were released from another Taliban prison in the Aqtash district of Kunduz,’’ the ministry told dpa.
“Taliban has controlled the district since four years ago,’’ said provincial council member, Aminullah Aydin.
A few military operations by Afghan forces to reclaim the district failed, according to him.
Meanwhile local TV channel, ToloNews, reported earlier that the Afghan government had released 170 Taliban prisoners from Kabul’s main prison.
According to the outlet, another 130 were set to be freed on Tuesday.
President Ashraf Ghani had ordered 887 prisoners to be released in an act of goodwill by the government, according to a statement by the palace.
“Majority of them are Taliban fighters,’’ National Security Advisor, Hamdullah Mohib, told ToloNews.
Edited by Abigael Joshua and Olisa Ifeajika
- Ugandan Nakalembe wins opening round at Nigeria Ladies Open Golf Championship
- Imo NDLEA confirms arrest of alleged notorious drug dealer
- Multiple accident claims 13 lives on Lagos-Ibadan expressway
- APC NWC upholds suspension of Edo party’s chairman
- I will be most excited person if I win 2021 AFCON for Nigeria, Rohr says
- Don tasks FG on production of West Africa Dwarf goat
- Medical doctors urged to draw line between profession ethics and business
- Buhari meets Pearson Educational Group mgt. in London
- Chemical engineers call for policies to promote smart agricultural value chain
- Nigerians seek tougher actions against corruption
- Gov. Matawalle reassures Zamfara citizens of his commitment to security
- Kogi: FCT minister drums support for Bello
- Super Eagles ‘ll grow into AFCON qualifiers, says Akanni
- Obaseki has failed Edo people, says PDP
- Makinde appoints Ex-Rep. Ogunwuyi DG, Investments, PPP Agency
- ZMSG to resuscitate 5 abandoned ginneries—-Gov. Matawalle
- PDP rejects hate speech bill
- Businessman arraigned over alleged importation of 13 containers of substandard cables
- International GIS Day: Expert calls for GIS inculcation in STEM study
- FG, Harvestplus, task Nigerians on making nutrition daily business