The Federal Ministry of Youths and Sports Development has charged presidents of the 22 sports federations their athletes were heading to the 2019 African Games to ensure adequate preparations.
The ministry’s Permanent Secretary, Olusade Adesola, who gave the charge on Thursday in Abuja at a meeting with the federations’ officials also urged them to ensure good welfare for the athletes.
He said the meeting was meant to review preparations for the Games scheduled for August in Morocco, as well as address challenges and fashion a way forward for a good outing.
“This meeting is to review issues, address the challenges and take a look at the progress report as we prepare for the 2019 African Games in Morocco.
“I urge you all (Presidents of Federations) to ensure professionalism, fairness, justice and adequate welfare for the athletes,” the Permanent Secretary said.
Adesola expressed optimism that the athletes would do the nation proud at the Games “because the Federal Government has been working round the clock with the federations to ensure a good outing”.
The Nigeria News Agency reports that the Nigerian contingent to the Games will feature in 16 major sports and six other optional sports.
(Edited by Muftau Adediran and Olawale Alabi)
- Zamfara killings: Gov. Matawalle cancels planned trip to Germany
- 265 Enugu residents benefit from Nigerian Army medical outreach
- 2020 Olympics Qualifiers: D’Tigress lands in Pot 3
- Dubai urges African countries to rejig customs service
- Court to rule on Faisal Maina’s bail application Nov. 29
- 6 migrants found dead on Libyan shoreline, UN agency says
- Trump says ‘I want a trial,’ brushes off worries on impeachment
- Expert calls for establishment of specialised bank for healthcare industry
- 18 ships arrive Lagos ports, discharge petroleum products, food items
- NIPR inducts Delta Commissioner, 144 others as members in Asaba
- Court again adjourns arraignment of 57 for alleged Homosexuality
- Market liquidity: SEC engages PENCOM, AMCON on Securities Lending
- Appeal Court Judgment: Tambuwal dedicates victory to God
- College drags ex-student to court over alleged defamation
- Pope says technology, globalisation endanger youth individuality
- Army war college graduates 66 officers in course 3
- Entire world waiting on Africa for creative tourism – tourism development expert
- Reps C’ttee lauds Adebayo
- Anambra FRSC begins night patrol, arrests 15 trucks for alleged overloading
- Anambra: FRSC commences night patrol, arrests 15 trucks, buses for overloading, extra light
- Yuletide: Fashola tasks stakeholders, housing controllers on results
- Prompt response from Navy Fire Unit saves lives, properties
- FRSC tightens noose on corrupt personnel
- Kogi election: Coalition urges INEC to create more polling units
- Kebbi Govt. sets up health committee to humanitarian crisis
- Igboeze South LG spends N250m to construct 1.5km road, others
- Customers express concerns on implementation of e-bills by Ikeja Electric
- DMO puts Nigeria’s debt profile at N25.7 trn
- 34 Ijegun residents benefit free medical surgeries, 350 from eye screening
- Zidane defends Bale after flag criticism
- Insecurity: Ex-Police I-G Abubakar calls for synergy between security agencies
- Buhari receives NIPSS Report on Universal Healthcare, pledges action
- 2 protesters killed, 25 injured in Baghdad unrest
- Banky W announce return to music with new album in 2020
- Liverpool manager Klopp sweating on Salah fitness ahead of Palace trip
- Navy hands over smuggled rice, vegetable oil to customs
- Market closure: We lost over N500m, Kaduna traders cry out
- China reiterates commitment to cultural relations with Nigeria
- NPC begins 2019 VASA survey in Gombe, solicits stakeholders’ support
- Wellness expert advises Nigerians on healthy lifestyle to reduce stress
- Hong Kong mask ban temporarily returns as court reviews law
- 1072 persons benefits from Foundation’s free eye care in Edo
- 2 car dealers docked over alleged N800, 000 fraud
- Pope Francis urges Catholics to promote faith in Buddhist Thailand
- Polio immunisation: Kano targets over 3m children -Commissioner
- Man in court for allegedly stealing snail, bitter cola
- NGO trains 50 litreracy facilitators in Ebonyi
- Traditional ruler appeals to FG to accord priority to roads across Nigeria
- Agege council to build artistes’ village to engage talented youths
- Yuletide: Enugu CP urges synergy among security agencies