The number of confirmed COVID-19 positive cases across Africa surpassed 100,000 as of Friday afternoon, the Africa Center for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) said.
The Africa CDC in its latest situation update issued on Friday revealed that the number of confirmed COVID-19 positive cases across the continent rose from 95,201 on Thursday to 100,330 as of Friday afternoon, registering about 5,129 new cases during the stated period.
The death toll due to the COVID-19 pandemic across the African continent also surged from 2,997 on Thursday afternoon to 3,101 as Friday afternoon, eventually registering about 104 new deaths during the past 24-hours period, according to the Africa CDC.
The Africa CDC also disclosed that some 39,416 people who have been infected with the COVID-19 have recovered across the continent as of Friday afternoon, registering some 1,341 new recoveries during the past 24-hours period.
The continental disease control and prevention agency also noted that the virus has spread into all of the 54 African countries.
The Africa CDC also disclosed that the Northern African region is the most affected area across the continent both in terms of positive COVID-19 cases, as well as the number of deaths.
- 1st LD Writethru: 5.3-magnitude quake hits 1210 km N of Acarau, Brazil — USGS
- Los Angeles declares curfew after four days of protests
- Belgium’s hospitality industry heavily affected by COVID-19 pandemic
- Portuguese president, PM pay tribute to firefighters amid COVID-19 pandemic
- Hundreds of people arrested after protests against police brutality in Los Angeles
- Cuba backs WHO after U.S. announces terminating relationship
- Spotlight: NASA, SpaceX launch first crewed mission from U.S. soil since 2011
- Feature: Deported Salvadoran recalls dangerous conditions, inadequate care at U.S. detention center during pandemic
- People protest in U.S. Oakland over police-custody death of George Floyd
- Global COVID-19 cases top 6 mln — Johns Hopkins University
- SpaceX launches NASA astronauts into orbit on historic mission
- COVID-19 cases in Chile rise to 94,858, with 997 deaths
- Belgium expresses support for WHO
- Roundup: Over 530 arrested in U.S. LA after protests over death of George Floyd turn violent
- Roundup: Turkey’s COVID-19 cases surpass 163,000 as Iran’s tally nears 149,000
- Sylva, NNPC staff, others pay tribute to ex-GMD of NNPC Baru
- Egyptian, French presidents discuss regional issues, focus on war-torn Libya
- EU condemns killing of migrants in Libya
- COVID-19: Enugu govt. decontaminates Ogbete Main Market
- COVID-19: NCAC, NANTA advocate collaborations for tourism sector recovery