By Harrison Arubu
New York, July 9, 2020 (NAN) The Federal Government says it has rescheduled the special evacuation flight for Nigerian citizens in Canada earlier scheduled for Friday.
The Nigeria High Commission in Ottawa, in a statement, said the decision was based on request by the intending evacuees.
According to the mission, the request followed their inability to get the required COVID-19 test results and make payments for their flight tickets.
“These challenges are as a result of the fact that the time frame for the release of the COVID-19 test results in Canada varies from province to province.
“In view of the above, the Nigeria High Commission here informs that the flight has been rescheduled,” it said.
According to the mission, a new date will be announced within two days and payments made by evacuees would determine how early the date would be.
The mission explained that the decision was necessary as there was likely to be only one evacuation flight from Canadian to Nigeria.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that this is the second time the flight is being disrupted by logistic hitches.
The first one scheduled for May 14, was cancelled after Canadian authorities denied over-flight and landing permits to Air Peace, the Nigerian carrier chosen then. (NAN)
Edited By: Joe Idika/Muhammad Suleiman Tola (NAN)
Senator calls for deployment of more policemen to areas under bandits attacks
Sen. Ibrahim Gobir, Chairman, Senate Committee on National Security and Intelligence, has urged the Federal Government to deploy more policemen to areas under bandits attacks in the country.
Gobir made the call when the members of Correspondents’ Chapel of the Nigeria Union of Journalist (NUJ), Sokoto State chapter paid him a Sallah homage at his resident in Sokoto on Tuesday.
The lawmaker said that deployment of more security personnel would give residents of such areas more courage and confidence to resume normal activities.
“The issues of banditry and kidnapping are challenges that involve the whole society which requires very urgent intervention.
“It is very unfortunate that things are getting out of hand, because some years back if somebody said such things would happen it would be very difficult to agree.
“Alhamdulillah (praise be to Allah), so far so good, as security agencies have succeeded a lot toward restoring peace in some affected areas of the country.
“Things are actively becoming under control in most of the areas, as such we appeal for more commitment to enhance the success.
“This could be achieved by ensuring more police personnel are deployed to the effected areas to give more courage to the people in order to return back to their normal activities,” he said.
Gobir further said that there was no reason for any government to consider negotiations with bandits as an alternative to ending banditry in the country.
“I don’t believe in negotiation with bandits. There is no reason to go on negotiation with criminals that killed and destabilised the living standard of innocent citizens in this country.
“So, government should continue to fight such elements to the end. They have made a lot of damage to the society, instigate fear and trauma in the people of the effected areas,” he added.
Earlier, Vice-Chairman of the Chapel, Malam Ismail Umar, expressed appreciation to the senator for granting them audience, assuring him of their commitment towards restoring peace and unity among the people of the state.
Edited By: Shittu Obassa/Maharazu Ahmed (NAN)
Court remands “spiritualist” for allegedly obtaining N2m from woman
A Chief Magistrates’ Court in Geagwalada, FCT, on Tuesday ordered that a 43-year-old man, Friday George be remanded in police custody for allegedly cheating and fraudulently obtaining N2 million from a woman.
The police charged the defendant, who resides in Banode Estate, Bida Niger State, with three obtaining, cheating and extortion.
He pleaded not guilty.
Magistrate Yusuf Ibrahim adjourned the case until Aug. 26 for hearing.
Earlier, the Prosecutor, Abudullahi Tanko, told the court that one Bode Adebayo of Blantyre street Wuse II, Abuja and two reported the matter on July 15, 2020.
Tanko alleged that the accused sometime in 2009 approached Adebayo’s sister, Alice, with the intention to defraud her.
He further alleged that the defendant, dishonestly “hypnotized” her into thinking that he was a “spiritual man of God”.
He alleged that the defendant told Alice that God instructed him to avert her problems and bring her vision to reality.
The prosecution counsel added that the defendant also promised to revive her dead father which he claimed to have restored him back to life.
He alleged that the defendant intentionally cheated them by extorting about N2 million from them for sacrifice, cleansing, feeding and treatment for the revived father.
The prosecution counsel added that the said money was also meant to secure a job for one Rebecca Adebayo and Tony Adams with the Nigeria Immigration Service.
He said that during police investigation the defendant confessed to have brainwashed and collected huge amount of money from them.
The offence, he said, contravened the provisions of sections 176, 320 and 292 of the Penal Code.
Edited By: Edwin Nwachukwu/Sadiya Hamza (NAN)
Police arrest 2 nurses for allegedly stealing newborn baby in Katsina
The police in Katsina State, have arrested two nurses for allegedly stealing a newborn baby girl in Katsina.
The police spokesman, SP Gambo Isah, made the disclosure in a statement made available to newsmen on Tuesday in Katsina.
He said that on July 25, 2020, at about 10 a.m., one Shamsiya Sani, 25, who resides in Dandagoro Quarters, Katsina, was delivered of a baby girl at Okomos Clinic, Kofar Kaura Quarters, Katsina.
“She later abandoned the child at the hospital with a hand written note stating that the baby was born out of wedlock hence the abandonment.
“Two nurses of the hospital, Misira Tijjani, 35, of Filin Canada Quarters, Katsina, and Grace Ejigu, 43, of Shagari Low cost, Katsina, conspired and took the baby out of the clinic to one Eucharia Onyema, 45, of Sabuwar Kasuwa Quarters, Katsina, ” he said.
According to him, the police apprehended the suspects based on a tip off.
“Nemesis caught up with them on their way from the hospital to their houses with the baby through the help of a tricycle rider who suspected them of stealing the baby,” he said.
Isah said that the baby was now receiving attention at the Social Welfare Department of the State Ministry of Youths and Social Development.
However, when interviewed by newsmen, the suspects denied selling the baby, they insisted that they gave Eucheria Onyema the baby on humanitarian grounds, since she had no child.
They however, revealed that they took the decision without informing the hospital management.
Isah said that the suspects would be prosecuted after investigations.
Edited By: Nick Nicholas/Maharazu Ahmed (NAN)
China’s Qingdao appoint Wu as head coach to replace Machin
Promoted Qingdao had terminated the contract of former Sevilla and Espanyol boss Machin last month after one of his relatives had tested positive for COVID-19, preventing the Spaniard from travelling to China to take up the job.
The club confirmed the appointment of Wu in a post.
Wu, who has had multiple spells as Shanghai boss, guided the team to the Chinese FA Cup title in 2017 and was appointed their technical director the following year.
The 59-year-old has also managed Zhejiang Greentown and had a brief stint as Shandong Luneng caretaker boss in 2012.
Edited By: Chioma Ugboma/Maharazu Ahmed (NAN)