Connect with us

General news

Again, Lagos warns property developers over building code violations

Published

on

Again, Lagos warns property developers over building code violations


Left to right: Chairman, Lagos Internal Revenue Services, Mr Hamzat Subair; Special Adviser to the Governor on Urban Development, Mr Ganiyu Ayuba; Commissioner for Physical Planning and Urban Development, Dr Idris Salako; Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Physical Planning and Urban Development, Mr Foluso Dipe at a  meeting with owners/developers of properties in Lekki and Ajah on Thursday in Lagos

 

Again, Lagos warns property developers over building code violations

By Grace Alegba and Esevosah Izah

Lagos, July 9, 2020 (NAN) The Lagos State Government on Thursday warned property developers in the Lekki, Ajah and Eti-Osa areas to comply with the state’s building code to avoid sanctions.

The Commissioner for Physical Planning and Urban Development, Dr Idris Salako, gave the warning at a meeting with property owners and developers in the area.

He lamented that property developers were distorting the master plan and damaging environmental beauty of Lekki and its environs.

Unveiling a scheme to commence a seamless processing of planning permits, Salako said the sanctity of the revised Ikoyi/Victoria Island Model City Plan and Lekki Comprehensive Master Plan would now be guaranteed.

“Consequently, you are to please note that the approval orders of the plans as applicable, remain the only valid references for any developmental activity that can be carried out in this area until another review is conducted.”

Salako warned that deliberate contravention of approval orders, extant laws and regulations must stop, saying that the ministry would no longer tolerate the unabated distortion of the environment.

He called for an end to illegalities during building authorizations and documentations, noting that offenders would get immediate sanctions henceforth, including demolitions and prosecution.

The commissioner cited illegalities being perpetrated as non-adherence to planning permits, deliberate falsehood in design drawings and construction of buildings after submission, prior to grant of planning permit and mandatory stage certification.

“Others are falsification of documents such as mandatory statutory clearances, payment receipts and LIRS tax clearance as well as fake approvals in connivance with third parties.

He described the sharp practices as criminal offences.

“This meeting is another golden opportunity for you to right the wrongs that had been done in order to avoid serious public embarrassment which the statutory enforcements may cause to you,’’ Salako stated.

The Special Adviser to the Governor on Urban Development, Mr Ganiyu Ayuba, explained that the role of the ministry was to ensure adherence to planning, orderliness and sustainability in the built environment.

He told builders to always adhere to the procedures.  (NAN)

=============

Edited By: Nick Nicholas/Silas Nwoha (NAN)

 

 

 

 

Grace Alegba: is a graduate and a professionally trained journalist, with experience in national news reporting/editing and verification at the News Agency of Nigeria. NNN is a Nigerian online news portal that publishes breaking news in Nigeria, and across the world. Our journalists are honest, fair, accurate, thorough and courageous in gathering, reporting and interpreting news in the best interest of the public, because truth is the cornerstone of journalism and they strive diligently to ascertain the truth in every news report. Contact: editor[at]nnn.com.ng

Health

Third term Resumption: Private schools have right to charge fees – Minister

Published

on


The Minister of State for Education, Mr Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba, says  that private school owners are entitled to charge fees for third term as schools start resuming for exit classes. 


Nwajiuba said this at the media briefing of the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic on Monday in Abuja.

He was reacting to a question on if it was proper for private schools to charge third term fee since the period the exiting students would spend in school was short.

The minister said that private school owners were running a business venture and not a charity organisation.

He added that  “for public institutions, we can’t tell you that we charge school fees, as most of our schools are free. Public schools are free and vary from state to state.

“But when you go into a contractual relationship with a school owner, a school owner is a passionate person, but is also a business person. He or she is not running a charity organisation, they may be charitable in their approach, but it’s not charity.

“So, it’s important that you appreciate that a private school is entitled to charge fees for the work they do. The person that runs a school may be passionate about education but will still charge fees.”

Nwajiuba said that “once the WAEC examination starts on Aug. 17, it will run till the middle of September and NABTEB will start immediately and run till October.”

He said “NECO examination will start on Oct. 10, about a week to the end of NABTEB and run through to November.

“We expect that throughout the period, students are working and learning.

“We don’t just want them to be in school and be playing, this is exit class, it says a lot about the six years spent in secondary school.

“Right now, we are lifting the registration for NABTEB and NECO, continuously running, even while we are about to begin WAEC.

‘”All examinations are a test of outcomes. We will want our teachers to continuously engage the students,” he said.

Nwajiuba emphasised that schools resumption was for exit classes at the moment, adding that some schools had even opened on Monday, Aug. 3.

He said “I monitored developments in Lagos State, where some schools opened and cleaned the classes and the environment, while some other states will open as the week proceeds.” 

 

Edited By: Chidinma Agu/Hadiza Mohammed-Aliyu (NAN)

Continue Reading

COVID-19

COVID-19: FG to develop innovative interventions to improve survival chances

Published

on


The Minister of Health, Dr Osagie Ehanire, says efforts are ongoing to develop innovative interventions to reduce  COVID-19 case fatalities to below one per cent.


 Ehanire said this at the Presidential Tasks Force (PTF) on COVID-19 daily briefing on Monday in Abuja.

According to him,  fatalities at present is at two per cent, especially for the elderly and those with co-morbidities.

Ehanire said that PTF members were aligned in non-pharmaceutical key role interventions in controlling new infections, as the measures of wearing of masks and avoiding crowds were easy, cheap and proven to be effective.

He added that “we would work with state governments to prepare necessary space and human resources at general hospitals or Primary Healthcare Centres to train and set up at least one sample collection site in every local government area in due course, with efficient sample retrieval logistics to convey samples to laboratories.

“As the cause of the disease becomes clearer, the Director-General of WHO warns that COVID-19 may be with us for a long time.

“This means that we should consider adjusting to what has been described as the ‘new normal,’ a way of life that is intended to reduce risk of infection, while allowing meaningful economic life to resume and citizens to restore their livelihoods,” he said.

The minister said there was need to sustain the efforts as the increase in testing capacity recorded  40,000 in one month, while the number of positive cases dropped by over 2,000.

“The total number of positive COVID-19 cases recorded in July was 17,457, out of a total of 154,454 samples tested, with a positivity rate of 11.3 per cent, as against that of June of 19,149 positive cases from a total of 111,052 samples tested with a positivity rate of 17.2 per cent.

“By Aug. 3, we recorded 43,841 confirmed cases out of of 286,091 samples tested, while 20,308 persons were treated and discharged with 888 persons dead,” he said.

Ehanire also announced that plans were ongoing to designate holding rooms at general hospitals, with facilities for oxygen administration, such as oxygen concentrators or oxygen cylinders.

“Some investment in this strategy, known in Lagos State as oxygen kiosks, will be required, but the benefit in lives saved will be significant,” he said.

Ehanire said that the task force responded to the request of São Tomé for commodities for COVID-19 response, as directed directive by the President.

He assured that there was continued increase and optimisation laboratory diagnostic capacity most recently in Zamfara, Kebbi, Yobe, Taraba, Gombe and Bayelsa states.

The minister said there should be no anxiety among health workers about Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), as the equipment had been reasonably well-stocked with materials and commodities and supplied to all sections of the country.

He said government was grateful to the United Nations and European Union for the donation of another consignment of valuable supplies, which he received on July 31.

“This additional delivery will boost our stockpile of wherewithal to fight the pandemic and it includes face masks and shields goggles, airways tubes, bio-hazard bags and safety boxes, test kites,” he said.

 

Edited By: Chidinma Agu/Hadiza Mohammed-Aliyu (NAN)

Continue Reading

COVID-19

COVID-19: Nigeria records 288 new cases, total now 44,129, with 896 deaths

Published

on


The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has announced  288 new cases of Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic in the country, which brought the total number of infections to 44,129.


The NCDC made this known on its official twitter handle on Monday.

The agency said that eight new deaths were reported,  bringing the total number of fatalities to 896 across the country. 

The NCDC said that the new infections were recorded in Lagos, the Federal Capital Territory and 13 states.

It stated that Lagos topped the list with 88 new cases, while the FCT reported 25 fresh infections.

Among others were  Kwara, 33, Osun, 27, Enugu, 25, Abia, 20, Kaduna, 17, Plateau and Rivers,  13 each, Delta,  10, and Gombe,  8.

The agency stressed that states with fewer cases include Ogun, 4, Oyo, 3, Katsina,  1 and Bauchi, 1.

It disclosed that the Lagos State Government reported the recovery of 10,946 COVID-19 patients who were being managed at home.

According to it, till  date, 44,129 cases have been confirmed, 20,663 cases discharged and 896 deaths recorded in 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory.

The health agency noted that a multi-sectoral national Emergency Operations Centre (EOC), activated at Level 3, would continue to coordinate the national response activities across the country.

Meanwhile, the  health agency added that washing of  hands frequently with soap under running water was one of the best ways to stop the transmission of diseases like COVID-19 from person to person or after touching contaminated surfaces.

“#TakeResponsibility to keep yourself and loved ones safe and healthy.

“This election period, #TakeResponsibility by adhering to guidelines to protect ourselves  and loved ones from COVID-19, including Physical distancing, Use of hand sanitisers and Use of face mask,” it advised.

The NCDC said there was no specific cure for COVID-19, adding however that some  trial drugs showed promising results but were yet to be validated for use.

“In Nigeria, use of hydroxychloroquine is only limited to clinical trials.

“Please #TakeResponsibility and avoid self-medication,” it stressed.

The agency warned that a high percentage of those infected with COVID-19 did not show any symptom of the disease.

“So, to protect yourself and everyone around you, wear a face mask, maintain physical distancing, wash your hands frequently and follow all guidelines from the NCDC website,” it said.

 

Edited By: Chidinma Agu/Hadiza Mohammed-Aliyu (NAN)

Continue Reading

Health

School feeding programme gulps over N500m during Lockdown – Minister

Published

on


The Federal Government expended about N523.3 million on school feeding programme during the lockdown against the coronavirus pandemic.


The Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development (MHADMSD), Sadiya Farouq, announced this at the Presidential Taskforce briefing on COVID-19 on Monday in Abuja.

Farouk made the revelation against the rumours and speculations going around one of our key interventions of the government – the Home Grown School Feeding Programme.

She said that the programmed was modified and implemented in three states following a March 29th, Presidential directive.

“It is critical at this juncture to provide details that will help puncture the tissue of lies being peddled in the public space.

“The provision of ‘Take Home Rations’, under the modified Home Grown School Feeding programme, was not a sole initiative of the MHADMSD.

“The ministry, in obeying the Presidential directive, went into consultations with state governments through the state Governor’s Forum, following which it was resolved that ‘take-home rations’, remained the most viable option for feeding children during the lockdown.

“So, it was a joint resolution of the ministry and the state governments to give out take-home rations.

“The stakeholders also resolved that we would start with the FCT, Lagos and Ogun states, as pilot cases,’’ the minister said.

According to her, each takes home ration was valued at N4,200 and that the figure was arrived at with proper consultation.

The minister said that the figure generated from statistics provided by the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) and the Central bank of Nigeria (CBN)

“According to statistics from the NBS and CBN, a typical household in Nigeria has 5.6 to six members in its household, with three to four dependents.

“So, each household is assumed to have three children.

“Based on the original design of the Home Grown School Feeding programme, long before it was domiciled in the ministry, every child on the programme receives a meal a day.

“The meal costs N70 per child.

“When you take 20 school days per month, it means a child eats food worth N1,400 per month.

“Three children would then eat food worth N4,200 per month and that was how we arrived at the cost of the ‘take-home ration’.

“The agreement was that the federal government will provide the funding while the states will implement.

“To ensure transparency in the process, we partnered with the World Food Programme (WFP) as technical partners.’’

She said that her ministry invited government agencies like the EFCC, CCB, ICPC, DSS and some NGOs to monitor the process.

“TrackaNG monitored and gave daily updates validating the programme.

“In the FCT, 29,609 households were impacted, 37,589 households in Lagos and 60,391 in Ogun, making a total of 124,589 households impacted between May 14, and July 6.

“If 124,589 households received take-home rations valued at N4,200, the amount will be N523,273,800.

Edited By: Bola Akingbehin/Abdulfatah Babatunde (NAN)

Continue Reading

Contact US: editor @nnn.com.ng, nnnnews247 @gmail.com

COVID-19 Update in Nigeria – NCDC Coronavirus Records VIDEO: Hydroxychloroquine is a CURE for COVID-19, Dr Stella Immanuel insists APC UK optimistic of Diezani’s prosecution by British Government Businessman docked over alleged N3.9m fraud Spurs’ Rose says tired of police stopping him several times Police in Jigawa record low crime rate in 6 months Japanese PM pledges swift aid to areas affected by torrential rains – Reports UK immigration to EU bloc nations up 30% since Brexit, naturalisations jump – Research Court sentences driver to 2 years in prison for stealing car Court sentences 2 labourers to 4 years imprisonment each for stealing Dollar slips after political wrangling slows rally Early voting in Belarusian presidential election begins Gov Tambuwal frees 17 inmates in Sokoto Crew of UN plane that hard-landed in Mali to be evacuated to Bamako  Chileans say goodbye to plastic bags in shops for good BP posts second-quarter post-tax loss of $16.8bn Revival of ailing industries will strengthen currency -Expert China’ll not accept United States’ ‘theft’ of TikTok, says state media S/Korea’s heavy rain leaves 13 dead, 13 missing for 4 days Lobbying for Russian pipeline spikes in Washington Survey: Germans largely in favour of US troops withdrawing Nippon Steel to appeal South Korea ruling allowing seizure of assets Hurricane Isaias makes landfall with stronger than expected winds Oil prices fall as rising coronavirus case numbers cast shadow over fuel demand pickup Algeria to reopen mosques for public – President N. Ireland peace broker, Nobel laureate, John Hume dies at 83 NFF appoints caretaker committee for Anambra FA Liverpool’s title win a ‘gift that keeps on giving’, says owner Henry Third term Resumption: Private schools have right to charge fees – Minister COVID-19: FG to develop innovative interventions to improve survival chances COVID-19: Nigeria records 288 new cases, total now 44,129, with 896 deaths Sri Lankan police probe use of cat to smuggle drugs to prison New York prosecutor investigating Trump for fraud in fight over tax records Asaba film village, leisure park will boost economy, create jobs – Okowa COVID-19: SON, committee review safety guidelines for tourism sector resumption Ondo: We don’t substitute nominated candidates -INEC Buhari greets retired AVM Shekari at 80 Nigeria’s candidate for WTO chief prioritizes fixing dispute settlement system if selected COVID-19 test no longer a requirement for resumption of students in Ogun — Abiodun PDP advises Oshiomhole not to overheat Edo polity Edo 2020: PDP Chieftain, Afegbua, pledges support for APC’s Ize-Iyamu Buhari mourns Khalifa Tidiane Niass, Senegal-based Islamic leader Imo police parade traditional ruler over alleged kidnapping We’re working to ensure Nigerians have access to COVID-19 vaccines when available – NCDC Buhari writes Funtua’s family, says he’s pillar of support to his govt. NDA screening test to hold Aug. 15 – Registrar COVID-19: Nigeria donates PPEs worth N67m to Sao Tome and Principe Exercise OKUN ALAFIA II records success 11 days after flag off WAEC: Kano Govt. to fumigate 528 schools Resumption: FCTA fumigates schools, distributes face masks, sanitiser NNPC mourns former GMD, Dawha School feeding programme gulps over N500m during Lockdown – Minister