An estate agent, Yemi Ogunsanwo, on Monday appeared before an Ogudu Magistrates’ Court in Lagos, for allegedly defrauding an accommodation seeker of N200,000.
Ogunsanwo, 56, who resides in Ketu area of Lagos, is facing a two- count charge of obtaining money under false pretence and stealing.
He, however, pleaded not guilty to the charge.
The Prosecutor, Insp. Lucky Ihiehie told the court that the defendant committed the offence on July 27 at Elebiju Street, Alapere Ketu.
Ihiehie alleged that the accused collected the N200,000 from one Mr Fatai Sadiq on a pretence that he would rent a self contained room for him, a representation he knew was false.
“All efforts by the complainant to get back his money proved unsuccessful as the defendant kept giving him excuses.
“He reported the case to the police and the defendant was arrested,” the prosecutor said.
The offence contravened Sections 287 and 314 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015.
The Nigeria News Agency reports that Section 287 prescribes a three years jail term for stealing, while Section 314 attracts 15 years for individuals found guilty of obtaining money under false pretence.
The Magistrate, Mrs Ejiro Kubeinje, granted the defendant bail in the sum of N100,000 with two sureties in like sum.
Kubeinje said that the sureties should be gainfully employed with evidence of two years tax payment to the Lagos State Government.
She adjourned the case until Nov. 7.
Edited by Edith Bolokor/Ali Baba-Inuwa
- Flood destroys 110 houses in Zamfara
- Kaduna attacks: Sen Sani urges concerted efforts by govt, security agencies
- Flooding: NEMA urges Jalingo residents to avoid settlement along riverine areas
- Zamfara APC Crisis: Court dissolves Zamfara executives, orders fresh congresses
- NBBF mourns former D’Tigers invitee, Ojo
- Adamawa Assembly approves Gov. Fintiri’s N550m Agric loan
- ACF urges FG to tackle killings, insecurity in southern Kaduna
- Insecurity: Umahi advises Buhari to retain service chiefs
- Man, 27, drowns in Kano pond
- COVID-19 : EKSG introduces tax relief, incentives for businesses