Connect with us

General news

Akure explosion: Federal lawmaker commiserates with victims

Published

on

Hon. Adedayo Omolafe, the member representing Akure North and South Federal Constituency in the House of Representatives, has commisserated with victims of Saturday’s explosion in Akure.

The Nigeria News Agency reports that a truck conveying dynamites had exploded at Ilu-Abo, a suburb of Akure, at about 1 am, destroying houses as well as a church and school.

The lawmaker in a statement on Saturday by his media aide, Mr Michael Adeyeye, expressed shock at the incident.

He said: “I have received the shocking news of a midnight explosion which occurred a few kilometres to Akure.

“A preliminary finding shows that an Explosive Ordinance Department (EOD) of the Nigerian police, transporting explosives to an adjoining state noticed a malfunction in the consignment at around Shasha in Akure.

“They managed it further out of town to the front of Possibility Church at Eleyewo area.

“The situation which became unsalvageable had to be abandoned which eventually led to the detonation of the explosive device with a devastating damage.

” There is no doubt that this position had been corroborated by the Ondo State Commissioner of Police, Mr Undie Adie, who had since visited the scene of the blast.”

Omolafe urged the police, especially the EOD Department, to cordon off the area to ensure safety of residents.

” They need to excavate the vehicle which had been buried as a result of the explosion to prevent any further damage,” the lawmaker added.

He further called on the National Emergency Management Agency and the state government to salvage the situation by providing succour for people, especially those who had been badly affected by the coronavirus.

“As a responsive representative of my people, I will do everything possible  to ensure that succour comes the way of our people affected by this incident.

” I urge all residents of the area to remain calm at this critical period.

“I want you to know that my heart remains with you,” he said.

(
Edited By: Josephine Obute/Mufutau Ojo)
(NAN)

General news

COVID-19: Foundation, union distribute foodstuffs to students of Akure origin

Published

on

An NGO, Ibikun-Titilayo Foundation, on Saturday, distributed foodstuffs and other items to 150 students of Akure origin, Ondo State, in different higher institutions in Nigeria to cushion the effects of the coronavirus lockdown.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the palliative package contained rice, noodles, garri (cassava flakes), groundnut oil, face masks and hand sanitisers.
NAN also reports that the foundation is owned by the Assistant General Secretary, Zone D of the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS), Mr Ibikun Samuel.
Speaking with newsmen shortly after distributing the items, Samuel said that the palliatives were meant to cushion the effects of the lockdown, occasioned by the ravaging COVID-19 pandemic.
He said that his foundation, in collaboration with Akure Students’ Union, had deemed it fit to give to students of Akure origin in its own little way.
According to him, the sources of livelihood of some of the students have been badly affected by the lockdown.
“My foundation and some members of Akure Students’ Union have been concerned about the students who have been badly affected by this lockdown.
“They are home and they keep complaining, because they don’t know when this (lockdown) will be over. Most of them don’t have anything to eat and they have been finding it difficult sourcing for means of survival.
“We then decided to support them and we are also supporting government in alleviating the suffering of our people owing to the effect of the coronavirus pandemic.
“It is not a government-oriented programme but it is being financed by the COVID-19 committee members of Akure Students’ Union and myself.
“We spent about N250,000 to purchase all these items,” he stated.
Samuel, an indigene of Akure, urged the students to exercise more patience, as government was doing everything possible to contain the spread of the virus.
He also advised the government not to allow school to resume at this period, saying that this could be dangerous.
“If schools should be allowed to resume now, it may be dangerous. The virus must be contained to a reasonable extent before schools can be re-opened,” he said.
Also speaking, Mr Wale Adedipe, the President of Akure Students’ Union, said that the palliatives would mitigate the hardship brought on the students by the lockdown.
Mr Seyi Ogundipe, the Chairman of COVID-19 palliative committee of the union, said it was a welcome development that some students could remember their colleagues in distress by reaching out to them.
One of the beneficiaries, Miss Omowumi Kareem, of the Federal University of Technology, Akure (FUTA), appreciated the gesture, describing it as a show of love and for the betterment of humanity.
Another beneficiary, Mr Taiwo Adeleye, of Adeyemi College of Education, Ondo, said that the palliative would be a great relief for him, even as he prayed God to bless the initiators of the programme.

Edited By: Chioma Ugboma and (NAN)‘Wale Sadeeq

Continue Reading

General news

COVID-19: Senate President’s aide distributes palliative in Akure

Published

on

The Director of Administration in the office of the Senate President, Mr Femi Fadairo, has donated foodstuffs and cash to some indigents in Akure, Ondo State capital.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the foodstuffs and cash were mainly given to the elderly women and some nursing mothers on Saturday in Akure.

Fadairo said it was the right thing to do during this period of lockdown when many people are facing economic challenges.

He said that the gesture was part of his own way of giving back to his people.

“I see it as giving back in my own little way to our communities in Akure.

“This is not the first time I am doing this.

“Even before the coronavirus pandemic broke out, I have been reaching out to the widows, women, paying for WAEC fees and buying JAMB forms for Akure indigents,’’ he said.

NAN reports that some of the beneficiaries, who spoke with newsmen, were full of praises form the kind gesture from Fadairo.

Mrs Beatrice Omotosho commended the donor for the food and cash donations and urged other public-spirited individuals to emulate the gesture.

Another beneficiary, Mrs Nike Ojo, also expressed appreciation for the gesture, praying that God would continue to bless the donor.

Edited By: Abigael Joshua/Abdulfatah Babatunde (NAN)

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

NSCDC nabs undergraduate for raping 16-year-old student in Akure

Published

on

The operatives of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), Ondo State Command, has arrested one Femi Adejuwon, an undergraduate of the Federal Polytechnic, Ado-Ekiti for allegedly raping a 16-year-old student.

The NSCDC State Commandant, Philip Ayuba, made this disclosure in a statement issued ane signed by Mr Ayodeji Olufemi, the command’s Public Relations Officer (PRO) on Tuesday in Akure.

“Information reachching us from concerned citizens in Ijoka Area, Akure, on Sunday, April 12, 2020, says that a 16-year-old student, who is currently awaiting admission, was allegedly raped by one Femi Adejuwon, an  undergraduate of Accountancy Department, Federal Polytechnic Ado-Ekiti.

“Based on investigation, the victim narrated her terrible ordeal after being discharged from the Police Clinic, Akure.

“She said that the suspect called her on phone to meet him in his friend’s place. On getting there, Femi Adejuwon took her in, shut the door and forcefully violated her.

“She was later rescued in a pool of her blood,” he said.

The commandant said that the suspect later confessed to the crime after much interrogation, blaming devil for the act.

Ayuba, however, added that  investigation was still ongoing on the matter and the suspect would be charged to court for justice to take its course.

The commandant, therefore, advised all parents and guardians to watch over their children or wards, especially during this COVID-19 lockdown.

Ayuba also admonished youths to shun all social vices such as rape, theft, cultism, vandalism, riot among others in the good interest of the state.

Edited By: Bola Akingbehin/Yemi Idris-Aduloju (NAN)

Continue Reading

General news

Easter: Akure churches comply with lockdown directive

Published

on

Churches in many parts of Akure , the Ondo State capital, did not open for Easter Sunday service in compliance with the stay -at –home order of the state government to curb the spread of COVID-19

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the Ondo State Government had on April 17 granted the churches a concession to hold Easter services after a meeting with the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN).

But the state government later rescinded its directives after a positive case of COVID-19 was reported in Akure on Friday.

In a statement issued on Saturday by Donald Ojogo, the Commissioner for Information,  the government gave a new directive that Christians should hold the Easter Sunday service in the confines of their homes.

A NAN correspondent, who went round Owode and Oba-Ile on Sunday, reports that churches  remained under lock and key.

It was, however, learnt that many of the big denominations held live Easter services on different social media platforms.

(
Edited By: Muftau Adediran/Mufutau Ojo)
(NAN)

Continue Reading

General news

Lock-down: Deji’s wife distributes palliatives to Alayere Community in Akure

Published

on

The wife of the Deji of Akure, Olori Funmilayo Aladelusi, on Tuesday distributed palliatives to over 300 less-privileged residents of Alayere Community in Akure.

The palliatives include, rice, tomato paste, salt, noodles and seasoning were given through her foundation, QTKO.

Aladelusi said that the gesture was to alleviate the suffering of the people due to the stay-at-home directive by the state government.

“I share in the pain of our people at this time. The aim is to support our women, widows, especially the less-privileged due to the lockdown order,” Mrs Aladelusi said.

She urged residents of the community to maintain personal hygiene and regular hand washing with soap and water if they could not afford hand sanitisers.

Aladelusi commended government efforts at containing the spread of COVID-19 and appealed to the state government to ensure its palliatives got to the nook and cranny of the state.

She also thanked her husband, Oba Aladetoyinbo Aladelusi, the Deji of Akure,  for his support describing him as a man, who was always willing to support the less privileged.

“My husband always wants to wipe away tears, that’s what he enjoys doing,” she said.

She promised to sustain the gesture in support of the masses and the downtrodden through her foundation, QTKO.

Chief Adeniran Aladetoyinbo, the Olu of Alayere, commended the monarch’s wife for the kind gesture and for putting smiles on the faces of the people at a time when they were already feeling dejected.

He tasked other Nigerians to emulate the kindness and salvage the situation which the country now found itself.

Edited By: Joe Idika/Ifeyinwa Omowole
(NAN)

 

Continue Reading

Economy

Turn samples from Akure explosion site to Police -Agency

Published

on

The Nigerian Geological Survey Agency (NGSA) has called for the handing over of samples recovered from the recent Akure explosion site to the police.

The agency’s Director-General, Dr Abdulrazaq Garba, who said this in a statement on Thursday in Abuja, commended IGP Mohammed Adamu for setting up a Joint Investigations Team to probe issues surrounding the explosion.

Nigeria News Agency reports that the explosion which occurred on March 28, at Ilu-Abo area, along the Akure-Owo expressway in Ondo State left many houses destroyed and some persons injured.

Garba said turning in the samples would enable the police investigation team have a robust understanding of what actually happened.

He said findings of samples should be scientific with contribution from relevant stakeholders for an all encompassing submission to be made to the investigation team.

The agency’s DG expressed optimism that the investigation would provide a report of the events for a better understanding and record setting.

He, however, called on the scientific community to refrain from making public statements on the development in order not to jeopardise police investigations.

The NGSA is a parastatal under the Ministry of Mines and Steel Development charged with the responsibility

of providing relevant and up to date geosciences information necessary for the country’s economic development.

The agency established by Nigerian Geological Survey Establishment Act 2006, 

accomplishes it mandate through a systematic process of gathering, collating, assessment and dissemination of all information related to rocks, minerals and groundwater resources of the country.

Edited By: Saidu Adamu/Ismail Abdulaziz
(NAN)

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

Akure explosion : We have set up investigative team, says Police DIG

Published

on

Mr Abdulmajid Alli, the Deputy Inspector General of Police (DIG) in charge of Operations, says that the Nigerian Police Force  has set up an investigative team that will unravel what actually went wrong and led to  the explosion that rocked Akure last Saturday.

 

Alli said this while speaking with newsmen at the scene of incident on Monday in Akure.

 

The Nigeria News Agency reports that a truck loaded with dynamite exploded on Saturday morning along  the Akure/Owo Expressway  and destroyed buildings belonging to schools,  churches and many private individuals.

 

It also divided into two the road linking Owo to Akure.

 

NAN, however .reports that no lives were lost in the  incident that occurred around 1:00 a.m.

 

 

The DIG said that  he was in Akure on the directives of the Inspector General of Police, Muhammed Adamu.

 

He added that he came in company  with the Director of Geological Survey of Nigeria to assess what actually went wrong with a view to  guiding the nation against future occurrence.

 

Alli, however, said that what exploded was not asteroid, saying that  it was dynamite.

 

He said that the Nigerian Police  Force and the Nigeria Mining Department were aware of the plan to transport  the consignment before the truck  transporting  it took off from Lagos State.

 

According to him, the owner of the consignment is with the police.

 

He said that the police could not put the blame on anybody for now but that it’s personnel  would  carry out their investigations and suggest  the next step to take.

 

“What I can see is the impact of the  explosion that happened here and we cannot actually ascertain what went wrong until when the  team we set up must have come out with their report.

 

“We have set up a team, a  combined team of  experts from the police  and officials from the geological survey that will carry out  some investigations and come out with a  report of what actually went wrong.

 

“If anybody is saying it is asteroid, that is their own assumption

 

“That is not what happened because we are quite aware of the movement and aware of the explosive being transported.

 

“And they have the permission of  the Nigerian  Police  Force and the  permission of the  Nigeria Mining department, we have done the  necessary things we should do but what went wrong is what we want to know.

 

“With the team set up, we can be rest assured that the nation will get the best result and best report of what went wrong,” he said.

 

 

 

Edited By: Dorcas Jonah/Peter Dada
(NAN)

 

Continue Reading

General news

Minister commiserates with Akure explosion victims

Published

on

The Minister of State for Niger Delta Affairs, Sen. Tayo Alasoadura, on Sunday commiserated with victims of Saturday’s explosion on the Akure-Owo highway.

The Nigeria News Agency reports that a truck conveying dynamites on Saturday exploded on the ever-busy highway, destroying houses as well as a church and school.

Alasoadura, in a statement, expressed the hope that the cause of the explosion would be thoroughly investigated by relevant agencies of government and their reports made public.

He urged government to offer appropriate monetary relief to victims of the blast.

Alasoadura regretted that the unfortunate incident happened at a time the country was battling with the coronavirus ravaging the world.

The minister urged residents to follow government directives so that the blast site and its environment could be restored and made safe for all.

(
Edited By: Edwin Nwachukwu/Mufutau Ojo)
(NAN)

Continue Reading

General news

We are saddened by Akure explosion– APC

Published

on

The All Progressives Congress (APC) in Ondo State says it is deeply saddened by the grim effect of Saturday’s explosion of a dynamite-laden truck on the Akure-Owo highway.

The Nigeria News Agency reports that the explosion had destroyed a church, school and some houses while cutting the highway in two.

The party in a statement made available to newsmen on Sunday in Akure by Mr Alex Kalejaiye, the state’s Publicity Secretary, commiserated with the victims of the explosion.

“The party’s sympathy goes to the victims of the deadly circumstance, the state government and entire people of the state,” the statement said.

It commended the quick response of the government and the security agencies in allaying the fears of residents and for seeking alternative route to the damaged portion of the ever-busy Akure-Owo road.

The party called on companies and individuals to be more circumspect in taking precautions when moving items that were capable of unleashing devastating consequences on people, when handled carelessly.

It wished those injured speedy recovery, stressing the need for federal authorities to expedite action on the rebuilding of the road as well as lend support to those whose property were destroyed.

(
Edited By: Abiodun Esan/Mufutau Ojo)
(NAN)

 

Continue Reading

Contact US: editor @nnn.com.ng, nnnnews247 @gmail.com

Read Also