Gbadebo gave his royal blessings to the event on Wednesday when the organisers of the race, Niilayo Sports Management Limited (NSML), presented a pioneer medal to the monarch at his Ake Palace in Abeokuta.
The paramount ruler, who lauded the organisers of the event for bringing a marathon race of such magnitude to the ancient city, expressed his readiness to ensure its success.
He, however, challenged NSML to organise a world class event in order to attract renowned long distance runners to Abeokuta.
Earlier, the Chief Executive Officer of NSML, Bukola Olopade, had disclosed that 15 countries and 46 international athletes had signified their interest to participate in the event.
He added that the race, which had been approved by the International Association of Athletics Federation, would take the participating athletes through major streets of Abeokuta.
Olopade, a former Commissioner for Youth and Sports in Ogun, further disclosed that 5,000 indigenes of the state had registered to participate in the race within three weeks of opening the race registration portal.(NAN)
(Edited by Mufutau Ojo)
- Police rescue another boy kidnapped in Kano, arrest 3 suspects
- Govt. officials conniving with pipeline vandals must be sanctioned,prosecuted-Lawan
- Obaseki confident of a second term, hinges faith on reforms, policies
- FG to go tough on miners engaging in sharp practices
- Bassa traditional rulers commend army over successes
- CAN President preaches tolerance, mutual respect for national cohesion
- Gov. Yahaya Bello’s re-election will change the fortunes of Kogi— FCT Minister
- Zimbabwe banks start dispensing new bank notes
- Ihedioha commiserates with Imo Muslims over Chief Imam’s death
- OAuGF begins training of staff to improve auditing service delivery in MDAs
- Kogi Election: I-G says Police will be professional
- Dana Air flew 2.7m passengers in 11 years – Official
- 33,686 traffic offenders penalised in Ogun this year — FRSC
- Anglican Primate urges Nigeria to remain hopeful
- Kyari tasks NNPC Retail Ltd on unadulterated products
- Oyo govt. to procure communication equipment worth N178.7m for security agencies
- Ministry pledges to partner with e-waste producers
- Akande, a man of principle, integrity – Lai Mohammed
- Insurgency: Nigerian Army seeks support from NEDC
- Lawmaker tasks information officers on efficiency, professionalism