The Emir Of Birnin Gwari in Kaduna State, Alhaji Zabairu Jubril, said on Tuesday that the current security challenges in the country require the involvement of all Nigerians to contain.
The emir spoke at the ongoing Northern Nigeria Security Conference organized by Arewa Research and Development Project (ARDP) in Kaduna.
He stressed that it was “a big mistake” to assume that only security agencies have the responsibility of ending the security challenges.
“The problem of your neighbour is also your own, this is not a political issue, it is a very seriou issue we must all wake up and fight.
“One entity cannot fight this terrible menance. I want us to think deaply, it’s not the issue of one party, we are all responsible and we must take that responsiblity very seriously.
“Unless we come together, will continue to wrongly think that the solutions lies only on security agencies or government, ” he said.
The monarch stressed that even though the greater responsibility of ensuring peace and stability lies with government and security agencies, but Nigerians must all get involved.
“We must all be involved in addressing this menance.
“The time has come for us to remember that if you think a problem affecting your brother or your neighbour is not important, you are making a very big mistake, because if you do not take care of the problem of your brother you are not a good believer.”
The emir attributed the conflicts in the country partly to poverty and lack of access to education, issues which, he said, must be addressed holistically by government and key stakeholders.
“Poverty is a very terible thing. Some people are using poverty and illiteracy to distroy our society, we must therefore fight poverty and make sure we give good education to our people,” the monarch added.
The Secretary General of Jamaatul Nasrul Islam (JNI), Dr Khalid Aliyu, also called for collective action to tackle the country’s security challenges.
“The issue of security is very important in the society, without security there is not going to be any meaningful existance of human beings,
“It’s time for all of us to come together to face the scourge of insecurity in our country so that it can be totally eradicated for us to have a meaningful life.”
He called on religious leaders to shun all issues that would bring about division and misunderstanding among the people, adding that their sermons must emphasise on integration and mutual respect.
The Galadiman Katsina and District Head of Malumfashi, Justice Saddik Mahuta, noted that the issue of insecurity has become very serious, affecting every Nigerian directly or indirectly.
Mahuta therefore called on all Nigerians to contribute positively towards addressing the problem, “otherwise it will consume all of us.”
“We don’t have any other country than Nigeria, all hands must be on deck to salvage the country, ” he said, adding that the conference was a very good opportunity for all to wake up and face the country’s challenges with outhmost sincerity.
The Managing Director, Sir Ahmadu Bello Foundation, Dr Shatima Ali, noted that the insecurity in the North east has brought about massive povery to the people in the area while most children are out of school.
“The people are traumatised and numerious orphans abound and we need to find lasting solutions to the problems ” he said.
Also, Prof. Yima Sen, appreciated the organisers of the conference and stressed that identifying the problem of each zone in the region was important in finding the solutions to ending the conflicts.
Sen, who represented the North Central at the conference, said their major security challenge is the unending farmers and herders clashes.
Edited by Maharazu Ahmed
- Bayelsa guber: Accept defeat, stop heating up polity, APC advises Gov. Dickson
- Thanksgiving: Cleric urges politicians to shun greed
- Foundation distributes 400 footwears to vulnerable children in Kaduna
- Jos consumers urge Plateau Govt. to check re-bagging of local rice
- Association urges SSCOE management to address viral hate speech by lecturer
- Akeredolu appoints three new aides
- Illegal operation: Lagos Govt. seals 24 pharmacies, patent medicine stores
- Association appeals to Enugu govt. for regular payment of pension, gratuity of teachers
- 2020 budget: Reps minority caucus promises to monitor implementation
- Cassava production: Scientists meet in Tanzania to review progress
- Don calls for service to Allah, as OAU MSSN inaugurates new executives
- FGGC Yola old girls pass vote of confidence on Saromi
- NAF partners US DOD to enhance medical, casualty evacuation capabilities
- 19-year-old Yahoo boy sets girlfriend ablaze over lover
- Foundation distributes 400 footwears to vulnerable children in Kaduna.
- Presidency dismisses insinuations over Sowore’s arrest, says Nigerians deserve peace
- Lagos Govt to launch App on annual cultural events
- Osinbajo to speak at UAE peace forum
- Adamawa APC rejects LG election results
- Restriction of Journalists covering Imo assembly activities, a dangerous precedent—Union
- Review: Sean Tizzle’s single ‘Contagious’, not enough for a hit record
- Katsina state govt. pays N208m WAEC fees for 21,589 candidates–Commissioner
- Opadokun, NADECO leader, seeks more libraries to boost reading culture
- Review: Teni Apata’s music, personality evolution draws mixed feelings
- Ministry of power seeks collaboration with agencies for improved power supply
- Kano State targets 3.8m children for meningitis vaccination
- Focus, Funding, keys to having to a great musical career- Toby
- Institute tasks FG on tourism, hospitality sector
- Boxing: NIDCOM boss, Dabiri-Erewa applauds Joshua’s victory over Ruiz Jr.
- Christmas: We are capable of meeting demands- Nasarawa Rice Millers
- Cleric urges Christians to live exemplary lives
- Nutrition Survey will lead to improved quality healthcare – Experts
- RIFAN urges FG to sustain border closure
- Fireboy DML debuts best album to close 2019
- Style Review: the return of pleated skirts
- National Public Safety Security System: Police Affairs Ministry sets up committee for smooth take-off
- Expert urges FG to sensitise Nigerians on $29.96bn foreign loan
- ‘Muna’ suggests new career angle for Adesua Etomi-Wellington
- BASA will strengthen cultural ties, deepen unity amongst personnel – CAS
- Nigeria on cause to raise Olympic champions in gymnastic – Coach Asuquo
- FG to introduce new visa regime to boost economy
- Expo 2020 in Dubai: What Benefits to Africa?
- Boxing: I’m happy Joshua won back his respect, says Isaac Ikhouria
- Boxing: Joshua takes revenge on Ruiz in Saudi Arabia rematch
- Buhari salutes Anthony Joshua on comeback victory
- DSS says Sowore’s rearrest video, mischief, meant for propagandist purpose
- NGO wants HIV test as component of routine ante natal care
- FG assures qualified teachers of good welfare, incentives
- Buhari mourns Evangelist Reinhard Bonnke
- Salome Abuh, PDP woman leader burnt to death, buried amid tears