A Chief Magistrates’ Court in Gwagwalada, FCT, on Tuesday issued a bench warrant for the arrest of an applicant, Ikpomobi Nusa, over his failure to appear for trial.
Nusa is charged with cheating and failure to pay the sum of N51,000 game played in a betting shop.
Magistrate Aliyu Shafa also ordered that the administrative bail granted to the defendant be revoked.
Shafa adjourned the matter until Aug. 31 for mention.
The defence counsel, Christy Oboh had earlier apologised for the absence of the defendant, adding that he was informed by the surety that the defendant was in detention at Garki police station.
She said that the surety informed her that he would go to the police station and plead that the defendant be allowed to appear in court for his trial.
Earlier, the prosecution counsel, Abudullahi Tanko, told the court that the defendant was not in court and prayed the court to revoke his bail grant and issue a warrant of arrest of the defendant.
Tanko told the court that the surety was not also in court to explain why the defendant was absent.
He prayed the court to exercise its discretion.
The defendant had pleaded not guilty to a one count charge of cheating preferred against him by the police.
The prosecution said that the complainant, Mr Zeluwa Michael, reported the matter at Gwagwalada police station, on June 10, 2020.
The offence, he said, contravened the provisions of Section 320 of the Penal Code.
Edited By: Sadiya Hamza (NAN)
- NiMet urges staff to shelve planned strike
- Greta Thunberg among climate activists to meet Merkel in Berlin
- WASSCE: Kwara Govt.warns principals against malpractice
- Edo Campaign: Electorate defy rain to receive Gov. Obaseki
- Mosque reopening: Adhere to COVID-19 protocols, NSCIA tasks Ekiti Muslims
- NSCDC dismisses report indicting personnel in Ebonyi market theft
- COVID-18: Ogun mosques resume physical services on a promising note
- Amazon launches online pharmacy in India
- Most Nigerian girls in Lebanon entered legally, Lebanese envoy
- Kwara poly Rector not suspended–Management