A painter, Mr John Andrew, on Thursday told an FCT High Court, Kubwa, that he hit his friend with a broken bottle while defending himself.
The police charged Andrew with culpable homicide.
The defendant, while being cross-examined by his counsel, Nelson Uzuegbu, told the court that he got into a fight with the deceased, Jibrin Emmanuel, who was his friend on July 8, 2017.
” Emmanuel picked a bottle and broke it while we were fighting. I then picked up the bottom piece of the bottle and hit him with it on his head.
“He lost a lot of blood and I called the police immediately,” he said.
The defendant further said he was asked to produce for Emmanuel to be taken to the hospital and he gave N8,000.
He said that he was taken to Durumi police station and on July 9, a policeman asked him to follow him to the cell because Emmanuel had died.
The defence counsel asked the court to give the defendant his confessional statement to read through if it was in accordance with his story.
The defendant read through and told the court that the statement was indeed true.
Earlier, the prosecution counsel, Babajide Olanipekun told the court that he had reviewed all the evidence before the court and was confident that it was enough to get justice.
He also said that three witnesses had testified in the matter and closed his case.
The prosecution counsel, prayed for an adjournment for cross-examination.
Justice Kezziah Ogbonnaya, however adjourned the matter until April 23 for further hearing.
Edited By: Sadiya Hamza
Watch Live News
Make A Comment
- Plateau Govt. Establishes COVID-19 Eradication Fund for the vulnerable
- COVID-19 FCTA stops church programme, wedding reception
- Kaduna lockdown: Traditional leader urges citizens to be law abiding.
- Akure explosion: Federal lawmaker commiserates with victims
- COVID-19: Abia govt. orders closure of land borders
- Covid 19: 2 Islamic clerics arrested for conducting congregational in Kaduna
- Cancer patients, worse hit by COVID-19- Medical Mission
- COVID-19: Plateau speaker decries low compliance with preventive measures
- Coronavirus : Federal lawmaker donates 2 months’ salary to constituents
- COVID-19: Presidency refutes report on N30,000 relief package