A Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday ordered that a farmer, Aondoaseer Bagu, charged with alleged culpable homicide, be remanded in a correctional facility, pending legal advice.
The police charged Bagu, who resides in Makurdi, with criminal conspiracy, armed robbery and culpable homicide.
Magistrate Erdoo Ter, did not take the plea of Bagu, for want of jurisdiction.
Ter ordered the police to return the case file to the Benue Director of Public Prosecutions for legal advice.
She adjourned the case until Aug 6 for mention.
Earlier, the Prosecution Counsel, Sgt. Regina Ishaya told the court that the case was reported by Sgt. Ali Simeon, of the ”Operation Zenda Daudu” on June 3, 2020.
Ishaya alleged that the complainant said Insp. Boniface Odeh, while on a stop-and-search duty with
others at the Container Check Point Lafia road, in Guma L.G.A, was attacked by a group of armed robbers with AK 47 rifle.
The prosecution alleged that the AK 47 rifle with 22 rounds of live ammunition, two Dane guns and one locally made pistol, three cutlasses and a knife, charms, one military and three police uniforms were recovered from the gang.
She said further investigation led to the arrest of Bagu, who confessed to committing the crime and also confessed to being a member of the ”Blackskull Confraternity”.
Prosecution said investigation into the matter was still ongoing and prayed the court for an adjournment.
She said the offence contravenes the provisions of sections 6(b) and 1(1)(2)(a)(b) of the Robbery and Firearms Special Provision Act 2004 and Section 222 of the Penal Code Laws of Benue, 2004.
Edited By: Sadiya Hamza (NAN)
- Cuba keeps Havana airport closed as coronavirus cases spike
- Nigeria: NCDC announces 443 new COVID-19 cases, total infections now 45,687
- United States stimulus talks collapse, setting stage for Trump executive orders
- Devastated Sarri says he can’t be judged on basis of one match
- American golfer disqualified from PGA Championship after scoring error
- Ronaldinho inches closer to release from Paraguayan ordeal
- Edo polls: U.S expresses worry over deteriorating political climate, security interference
- 2020: China interfering against Trump, Russia against Biden — report
- NOSDRA, Agip investigate oil leak at Azuzuama, Bayelsa
- Environmental group urges African governments to rise against COVID-19, Climate and Health crises