Connect with us

Defence/Security

Alleged N1.2bn: Iwu to be arraigned in court

Published

on

Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) is set to arraign a former Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) Prof. Maurice Iwu.

NNL/IS

General news

Ebonyi community sends SoS to IGP over alleged murder, rape

Published

on

The people of Edda community in Afikpo Local Government Area of Ebonyi, has urged the Inspector General of Police (IGP) Mr Mohammed Adamu to come to their rescue over alleged murder cases, torture and rape of their people.

The call was made through a Save Our Souls (SOS) letter by Edda Intervention and Rescue Initiative, a group pressing for the rights of people of Edda clan, and submitted to the IGP in Abuja.

Coordinator of the group, Chief Abia Onyeike, told the News Agency of Nigeria on Sunday in Abuja that, in the letter dated May 20, about 22 cases of murder, torture, assault, rape and other crimes were allegedly visited on the people.

Onyeike, a former Commissioner for Information in Ebonyi,  complained in the letter that the incidents had been happening since 2007 with some of them reported to the police but no action taken.

He gave an instance with a development that occurred in Owutu Edda between May 2 and May 6 when three incidents of murder by alleged cult groups were linked to politicians.

The former commissioner noted that another incident occurred on May 10, at Ogwuma Edda where 20-year-old Oji Sunday recounted how he was almost buried alive.

Onyeike also recalled how another young man of 19, Chidi Oji was also gunned down and his body taken away by the alleged killers on March 27, at Nguzu, Edda.

“Our complaint is about the death of four persons between March 27 and May 6, and not a single arrest has been made.

“Even when arrests are made, the accused persons who walk free are left out while people unconnected with the incident are apprehended and later released to send the impression that something was done.

Gov. Dave Umahi had addressed the state and called on the police and the DSS to do their work at the last killings, not a single person has been arrested.

“Almost all these incidents have been linked to members of a group called ‘Morekanbedone’ which is said to be a terror group serving the interest of a particular politician in Edda.

“And some of the incidents not linked to them are still politically motivated and we want answers to all these if there is still law and order in Nigeria, Ebonyi and Edda,” Onyeike said.

According to him, the people now live in fear and intimidation and therefore appeals with the IGP for rescue.

“We have written the IGP, the DG of the Department of State Security (DSS), the Senate President, Speaker of the House of Representatives and the Executive Secretary of the National Human Rights Commission.

“We have also written to the Chief of Army Staff because we can’t bear the terror any more, otherwise we will all be dead.

“Edda cries to these agencies to know if their rights have been subsumed under those of the ‘Morkanbedone’ members rights to kill and not be punished.

“As helpless people who had already ceded their rights to self-protect to the state, we seek immediate and sufficient protection of the state before all of us are murdered and gone.

“We want the allegations proven and justice served because the silence of the past is what made their instrumentality of carnage so potent. There should be a stop now,” he added.

When contacted, Force Public Relations Officer, Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP) Frank Mbah, told NAN that he was not aware of the letter.

He assured to get back to NAN when the information on the development got to his table.


Edited By: Chioma Ugboma/Ismail Abdulaziz (NAN)

Continue Reading

General news

Alleged Rape: Coalition commends Police over case against Fatoyinbo

Published

on

The Coalition of Public Interest Lawyers and Advocates (COPA) has commended the Nigerian Police for exhibiting high sense of intelligence in various investigation of rape allegations in the country.

Mr Pelumi Olajengbesi, Convener of COPA, gave the commendation in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria in Abuja on Saturday.

Olajengbesi said the commendation became necessary following the conclusion of investigation on the allegation of rape levelled against Pastor Biodun Fatoyinbo of the Commonwealth of Zion Assembly (COZA).

The allegation was instituted by Mrs Busola Dakolo, wife of Nigerian inspirational singer, Timi Dakolo.

It would be recalled that Mrs Dakolo dragged Fatoyinbo to court for allegedly raping her about 20 years ago before she turned 18, an allegation Fatoyinbo denied.

The Criminal Intelligence and Investigative Department, Force Headquarters, Abuja, had in a letter in March confirmed it had concluded investigation and had forwarded the case file to the Director of Public Prosecution of the Federation (DPPF).

Olajengbesi said credit should be given to the Police for the thorough investigation, given the time it took them to conclude the work and forward to DPPF for prosecution.

“Yes, we’ve received communication on the progress of the investigation and the transfer of the Police’s findings to the DPP.

“We are excited and hopeful by this development, even as we believe that justice delayed cannot be denied.

“The crime of rape is heinous and must never be tolerated as that will give impetus to the culprit to victimise others.

Mr Fatoyinbo will have to go through the test of the law and establish his innocence if possible.

“We now patiently await the ministry’s activation of the instrumentality of the law to prosecute Mr Fatoyinbo.

“Fatoyinbo’s conviction, if found guilty, will prove to the world, Nigeria’s stern and zero tolerance for criminality, regardless of who is involved.

“This is necessary in positioning our country as where the rule of law reigns supreme.

“The ball is now in the court of the ministry of justice through the DPP.

“We express the hope and faith that justice will finally be served in this matter,’’ Olajengbesi said.


Edited By: Kamal Tayo Oropo/Abdulfatah Babatunde (NAN)

Continue Reading

Judiciary

Man, 27, arraigned over alleged assault

Published

on

A 27-year-old man, Gbenga Ajayi, was, on Friday, arraigned before an Ado-Ekiti Magistrates’ Court for allegedly assaulting a woman.
The defendant, of no fixed address, is standing trial on a charge of assault.
The Prosecutor, Sgt. Olubu Apata, told the court that the defendant assaulted one Bose Salami.
He
said that the defendant committed the offence on May 26, at Araromi-Ekute in Ado-Ekiti.
Apata
said that the woman usually begged for money from the defendant, while the defendant said he had warned her severally not to beg him for money again but that she never listened.
He said that the woman later came to beg for money, while the defendant was angry and beat her up.
According to him, the offence contravenes Section 246(d) of the Criminal Code, Laws of Ekiti State, 2012.
The prosecutor asked the court for adjournment to enable him study the case file and assemble his witnesses.
The defendant pleaded not guilty, while his counsel, Mr Gbenga Ariyibi, urged the court to grant him bail, with a promise that he would not jump bail.
The Magistrate, Mrs Kehinde Awosika, granted bail to the defendant in the sum of N50,000, with one surety in like sum.
She adjourned the case till June 15, for mention.


Edited By: Chidi Opara and (NAN)‘Wale Sadeeq

Continue Reading

Judiciary

2 drivers docked for alleged assault, theft of phones

Published

on

Two men who allegedly assaulted a vehicle owner and stole his mobile phones worth N95,000 have been arraigned before a Life Camp Magistrates’ Court in Abuja on Friday.

The Police charged Desmond Momoh, 39, and Jaiyesimi Oloruntoba, 30, of Asokoro Extension and Dape Village, Abuja, respectively, with five-count charge of joint act, assault, causing hurt, mischief and theft.

The Prosecutor, ASP Peter Ejike of FCT command, told the court that the matter was reported at Life Camp Police Station on May 21, by one Ahmad Tukura of Kado Estate, Abuja.

Ejike alleged that on the said date, at about 12.15 p.m, while the complainant was driving to Life Camp, he was stopped at Setraco police check point by security officers to present his pass document.

He alleged that while the complainant drove off from the police check point, the two defendants drove after him and blocked his vehicle from moving.

The prosecutor further alleged that the defendants dragged the complainant out of his car, beat him up and stole his Techno phone and Samsung galaxy tab both valued at N15,000 and N80,000, respectively.

He said the police at the check point heard the complainant screaming and immediately swung into action, arresting both defendants.

He said that the offence contravened the provisions of Sections 79, 265, 244, 327 and 288 of the Penal Code.

Momoh and Jaiyesimi, however, pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Mr Gadafi Nwegbe, Counsel to the defendants, prayed the court to grant the defendants bail, while citing Section 158 and 165(2) of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act.

The Chief Magistrate, Celestine Odo, admitted the defendants to bail in the sum of N200,000 each, with a surety each in like sum.

Odo ordered that the sureties must be reliable with a fixed address and must reside within the jurisdiction of the court.

He also said both sureties must deposit a recent passport photograph to the court registrar, and their addresses verified by the court officer.

Odo adjourned the matter to June 25 for hearing.


Edited By: Dorcas Jonah/Muhammad Suleiman Tola (NAN)

Continue Reading

Judiciary

Man in court for allegedly swindling businesswoman of N5m

Published

on

The police on Friday arraigned a 31-year-old man, Stephen Samson, in an Area court in Mpape, Abuja for allegedly cheating a businesswoman of N5 million.

The police charged Samson, 31, with criminal conspiracy and cheating.

The Prosecution Counsel, Mr G.J. Ayanna told the court that the defendant was arrested and taken to the Intelligence Response Team (IRT) in the Office of the Inspector-General of Police.

He alleged that sometime in 2019, the defendant pretended to be the Managing director of Iconic Rime international Ltd where he approached Mrs Esosa Aroki of B25, Lokogoma Globe Estate, Abuja on a business proposal.

Ayanna said the defendant asked her to invest N5 million and promised her N8 million in 40 days.

He said after the defendant collected the money, he absconded and when the complainant tried to call, he refused to take his calls.

The offence, he said, contravened the provisions of sections 97 and 322 of the Penal Code.

The defendant, however, pleaded not guilty to the charge.

The Judge, Abdullahi Ogedengbe , admitted the defendant to bail in the sum of N1.5 million with one reasonable surety in like sum.GL14 officer in the Civil Service.

He adjourned the case until July 3 for hearing.


Edited By: Dorcas Jonah/Sadiya Hamza (NAN)

Continue Reading

Judiciary

Man docked for alleged theft of cell phone

Published

on

A 31-year-old man, Adewunmi Ayoola, on Friday appeared before an Ota Chief Magistrates’ Court in Ogun, for allegedly stealing a Tecno cell phone valued at N34,000.

 

Ayoola, of no fixed address, is facing a two-count charge of stealing and burglary.

 

The prosecutor, Insp. Abdulkareem Mustapha, told the court that the defendant committed the offences on June 1, at about 9.00p.m.

 

Mustapha said that the defendant unlawfully entered the house of the complainant, Raphael Saibu, at No. 36 Ifelodun St., Oju-Ore, Sango-Ota, and allegedly stole the cell phone.

 

He said the defendant was apprehended by the complainant’s neighbours and handed over to the police.

 

He said that the offences contravened Sections 390(9) and 516 of the Criminal Laws of Ogun, 2006.

 

The defendant, however, pleaded not guilty to the charge.

 

The Chief Magistrate, Mr S. O. Banwo, granted the defendant bail in the sum of N50,000 with two sureties in like sum.
Banwo ordered that the sureties must reside within the court’s jurisdiction and be gainfully employed with evidence of tax payment to Ogun Government.

The magistrate adjourned the case until June 15, for trial.


Edited By: Tayo Ikujuni/Obike Ukoh (NAN)

 

 

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

3 brothers in Police net over alleged murder of woman in Abuja

Published

on

Three brothers have been arrested in connection with the murder of a woman in Abuja,

according to Mr Frank Mba, Public Relations of the Police Force.

Mba, in a statement on Thursday in Abuja, said that the suspects, from Isiekenesi, Ideato Local Government in Imo, are helping Police investigation into the May 14 murder of Mrs Janet Ogbonnaya, a mother of five children.

He said that the suspects were arrested by the Police in their home town where they had allegedly taken refuge after committing the crime in Abuja, to evade arrest.

Mba said that investigation that led to their arrest followed complaints by one Chinedu Ogbonnaya, who alleged that his mother, Janet, 55, a native of Ozuitem in Bende Local Government Area of Abia, had been kidnapped.

Ogbonnaya told the Police that N5 million ransom was being demanded by the kidnappers to secure the mother’s release.

“A comprehensive and painstaking investigation by Police operatives resulted in the arrest of the three suspects, who, in the course of interrogation, revealed that the victim had long been murdered and buried.

“Further findings revealed that the victim, a widow, who had been a Facebook friend of the principal suspect, was lured from her home in Gwagwalada, Abuja to visit the suspect.

“The suspect took advantage of the visit, served her milk laced with drugs, and subsequently murdered her,” he said.

According to him, the victim was buried in a septic tank afterwhich the suspects went ahead to reach out to the family, using her phone, to demand N5 million ransom to secure her release.   ​

Mba said that the suspects, on Thursday, led a team of investigators alongside pathologists to a residence at Wumba District, Lokogoma area of Abuja, where the victim’s decomposing body was exhumed from a septic tank.

The spokesman said that the exhumed body had been taken to the University of Abuja Teaching Hospital for forensic examination, while a Toyota Highlander Jeep belonging to the deceased had also been recovered at a mechanic workshop in Apo, where it had been repainted into a different colour.

Mba said that the vehicle documents had been fraudulently changed with ownership of the stolen vehicle criminally transferred to one of the masterminds of the crime.

According to him, investigation also revealed that the house where the deceased was killed and buried originally belonged to one of the suspects but was hurriedly sold to a third party to obliterate evidence.

Already, the Inspector General of Police, Mr Mohammed Adamu, has commended the team of Police operatives for a job well done. He has also pledged that perpetrators of crimes will not go undetected and unpunished.

The Police helmsman has also enjoined citizens to be more security conscious and report any suspicious activities within their neighbourhood to the nearest Police Station,” the statement said.


Edited By: Chioma Ugboma and Ephraims Sheyin (NAN)

 

 

Continue Reading

Politics

Enugu lawmaker decries alleged invasion of constituency by Ebonyi communities

Published

on

Chinedu Okwu, Member representing Aninri Constituency, in Enugu State House of Assembly has called on the state government to urgently intervene in the alleged invasion and destruction of houses and farmlands by some communities in Ebonyi.

Okwu, who made the call in a petition submitted to the House during plenary in Enugu on Thursday, listed the communities as Uburu, Akaeze and Ishiagu communities in Ebonyi.

He said that land grabbers from the three communities were claiming part of Aninri land, in spite of the obvious boundary features, adding that “they could not render any sustainable account of such claim.

“We complain in tears, about the unwarranted invasion, killing and maiming of our people by the three communities in Ebonyi, Uburu, Akaeze in Ohaozara and Ishiagu in Ivo Local Government Areas respectively, that share common boundary with us.

“Shortly after their kinsman, His Excellency Mr David Umahi, became the governor of Ebonyi, they returned to our land with much more force and a new turn of claim.

“Initially, they were making individual claims of ownership of different parts of our land but now, they claim and act for and on behalf of Ebonyi government.

“They forcefully re-enter with tractors bearing the inscription, Ebonyi Government and destroyed our cassava, yam and rice farms respectively, spanning about 100 hectares and deforested our popular Egu-Nkwo, which over the years used to be the major source of our timber business,” he said.

The lawmaker alleged that Ebonyi government had entered into agreement with a Chinese company for mining activities of the Led and Silicon deposits in the land.

“The company just started getting the revenue and other benefits accruable from the mining, which is supposed to be for Enugu State, and now is being enjoyed by the Ebonyi government.

“Our people are dying in pains, the thought of watching helplessly another state driving us out of our land and taking over by force our source of livelihood, when we also have a state government, is quite unbearable”, Okwu lamented.

Reacting, the Speaker, Ubosi urged the Deputy Governor, Mrs Cecilia Ezeilo, to dialogue with her counterpart in Ebonyi, to resolve the land encroachment issue amicably.

The House thereafter adjourned to June 11 for further legislative activities.


Edited By: Maureen Atuonwu (NAN)

 

 

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

Police arrests man over alleged rape of 85-year-old woman in Niger

Published

on

The Police Command in Niger has arrested one Peter Ayemoba, of Rafin Sanyi area in Suleja Local Government Area, for allegedly having carnal knowledge of his two daughters.

The police also announced the arrest of another suspect who allegedly raped an 85-year-old woman.

ASP Wasiu Abiodun, Command Public Relation Officer (PPRO), disclosed this while addressing newsmen in Minna on Thursday.

Abiodun said that Ayemoba had sexually assaulted his daughters, now aged 20 and 23, between 2013 and 2019.

“Investigation revealed that the suspect usually threatened to kill them and commit suicide if they denied him carnal knowledge,” the PPRO said.

He also said that police detectives attached to Kagara division in Rafi Local Government Area have arrested one Ezekiel Yonana, 25, for raping an 85-year-old woman in Tukunguna village.

Abiodun said the incident occurred on May 23 at about 23:00 am while the old woman was asleep.

According to the PPRO, the suspect, a resident of Unguwar Ya’u Tunguna village criminally trespassed into her room and threatened to kidnap her or paid him some money.

“The suspect forcefully had canal knowledge of the 85-year-old before she was rescued by her grandson.”

Abiodun said that the two suspects had confessed to the crime and would be charged to court.

He appealed to residents to volunteer information about suspected criminal elements in their midst.

AAG /MZA

Edited By: Maharazu Ahmed (NAN)

Continue Reading

Contact US: editor @nnn.com.ng, nnnnews247 @gmail.com

Read Also