A High Court in Oyo State on Wednesday ordered the ICPC to produce all four suspects named in the alleged N3 million National Horticulture Research Institute (NIHORT) Ibadan, bribe case on Jan. 23, 2020 for arraignment.
The ICPC filed criminal charges against Ademola Idowu, former Director, NIHORT, former accountant, Isiah Ajisafe, David Ikyobo and Messrs Sterling Designs and Associates Limited .
The Nigeria News Agency reports that the arraignment of the suspects, was stalled due to the absence of Ikyobo and Messrs Sterling Designs and Associates Limited .
Justice Munta Abimbola, said it was not procedurally right to arraign only two suspects when four people were charged for the same offence.
Abimbola, therefore, adjourned the case until Jan.23, 2020 for arraignment.
The ICPC charged the suspects with eight counts bordering on conspiracy and receiving N3 million as bribe from the institute’s consultants.
The prosecution counsel, Miss Abisola Bisi-Balogun, alleged that Idowu collected N1.8 million while Ajisafe collected N1.2 million as bribes to appoint Sterling Designs and Associates Limited as the institutes’ consultant.
She alleged that Ikyobo, being the director of the consulting firm, allegedly gave N3 million.
The prosecutor alleged that Idowu also transferred N5 million from the personal Emolument fund of the institute to the Vegetable Development Company Account on Nov.11,2008.
She said that the offence contravened the provisions sections 26, 10 (a)(II) of the Corrupt Practices and other Related Offences Act 2000.
Edited by Philip Dzeremo/Sadiya Hamza (NAN)
- Pope to give ‘strictly private’ audience to embattled Maltese premier
- Samoa’s measles death toll rises to 65 amid state of emergency
- Von der Leyen calls for ‘unity’ between Europe, AU
- Tree planting, panacea to climate change problems- Environmentalist
- Eddie Ugbomah, Joke Silva, others honoured with Movie Rock of Fame Award
- Firefighters battle more than 100 blazes across Australian state
- AOC tasks personnel on physical fitness to tackle security challenges
- Kenya gov’t confirms ambush that killed 8 was terrorist attack
- 2019 ZUMA Film Festival closes with grand awards gala
- $900,000 Grant: Niger Govt. to sensitise communities on urban policy
- Jigawa, Chinese Hunan province sign agreement on agriculture
- Missing cash: 4 quizzed NSCDC back to post at Bayelsa govt. house
- U.S. Supreme Court blocks plans to bring back federal death penalty
- MURIC hails Buhari for nomination of new NAHCON boss
- Immigration boss inaugurates new quarter guard
- Insecurity: Niger Govt. donates vehicles, motorcycles to Army
- Osinbajo harps on culture, tourism in new world order
- Customs boss seeks separate budget for staff college
- ICT bedrock of any sub specialty, says Kebbi first lady
- NIDCOM condemns attack on Amaechi in Spain
- Kubwa Traffic: FCTA task team to close Gwarinpa U-turn
- Ahead of institute’s convocation, alumni call for improved attention to tourism
- Gov. Sule sets up committee on implementation of minimum wage
- Onu advocates inclusion of innovation in educational curriculum
- Tunisia foils illegal immigration attempt
- FG reaffirms commitment to establishing National Policy on Nanotechnology
- FCCPC to enforce passenger insurance on fleet operators
- Gov. Obaseki signs N179.2bn Appropriation Bill for Edo
- Nigerian Customs not afraid to take bold decisions
- TETFund retrieves N10bn from non-performing institutions
- Budget: We’re poised to exercise our constitutional mandate–Zamfara Speaker
- Police deploy new CP to Adamawa for LG Election
- Buratai tasks officers on improvement on current successes
- Agency begins taxpayer engagement to enhance revenue collection – Chairman
- Boko Haram abducts 18 in Cameroon’s Far North region
- Emir seeks abolition of GRA in llorin
- Apapa 72 hours road closure: FG seeks understanding for construction works
- EFCC nabs 4 suspects over alleged fraudulent business in Sokoto, Kebbi states
- Gov. Sule, Al-Makura deny friction over alleged inherited debts
- 40 youths receive N7.5m grant from IITA, AfricaRice project
- Zambia says plans to re-launch national airline active
- NSE moves 197.04m shares worth N3.53bn in bearish trading
- Yuletide: FRSC warns drivers against overloading, speeding in Sokoto
- Kwara Customs Command takes anti-smuggling campaign to border communities
- FCT minister lauds sharia court for being responsive
- AOT Lagos 1.0: Tech entrepreneurs advise startups on business sustainability
- Mental wellbeing is an inalienable right of every Nigerian – NGO
- NAF trains 3,629 personnel to meet Nigeria’s dynamic security challenges
- Lawyers call for abrogation of laws granting ex-governors pension
- Erosion prevention: Stakeholders seek national soil policy