The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), on Friday, filed an amended three-count charge against Faisal Maina, son of Abdulrasheed, former Chairman, Pension Reform Task Team.
The charges which were read to Faisal before Justice Okon Abang of the Federal High Court, Abuja, bordered on money laundering and false declaration of assets.
The defendant, however, pleaded not guilty to the amended three-count charge.
Nigeria News Agency reports that Faisal, alongside his father, was arraigned, on Oct. 25, 2019, by the EFCC on a three-count charge bordering on money laundering.
At the resumed hearing on Friday, Mohammed Abubakar, counsel to the EFCC, told the court that though the matter was slated f
or continuation of cross examination of second prosecution witness, the commission had an amended charge dated Jan. 22 and filed the same day.
Adeola Adedipe, counsel to Faisal, however, objected to the application.
Adedipe noted that though the prosecution deserved the right to amend the charge, such amendment must be prescribed by the leave of court as provided by Section 218 (2) of ACJA.
“The order of court is not approppriately endorsed on the purported amended charge.
So it may not be useful for today’s hearing,” he argued.
Abubakar, however, countered Adedipe’s argument.
According to him, I submit that counsel misconceived the intent and purpose of Section 218 (2) of ACJA because it does not make it mandatory for prosecution to first obtain leave of court before filing an amended charge.
“The counsel has jumped the gun because the issue of endorsement can only come after the amendment,” he remarked.
Justice Abang, who noted that the drafter of Section 218 (2) of ACJA might have created the controversy, granted the anti-graft agency’s prayer.
“Section 281 (2) is not clear on whether it is the judge or registrar that will
endorse the note of order of amendment.
“However, there is no dispute to right of prosecution to file an amended charge at anytime.
“In the light of this, the leave is hereby granted to the prosecution to file an amended charge.
“And the amended charged filed on Jan. 22 is deemed to be properly filed,” he held.
Abang said since the problem on who signs the amended charge was caused by drafter of ACJA, he ordered the prosecution to endorse it in the open court.
According to the judge, the defendant will not be prejudiced if the court asks the prosecution to endorse the note of order of amendment in the open court.
The EFCC lawyer then sought that the amended charge be read to defendant.
Afer Faisal pleaded not guilty to the charges, his lawyer, Adedipe, pleaded with the court to allow him continue to enjoy the bail terms graciously granted to him by the court on Nov. 26, 2019.
He argued that the defendant had complied with the bail conditions initially granted him.
“The defendant came from his house today and was equally accompanied by the surety in compliance with court order,” he said.
Abubakar did not raised objection to the request.
Justice Abang, therefore, granted Adedipe’s prayer, “the defendant shall remain on the subsisting bail order granted on Nov 26, 2019 by this honourable court.”
Abang adjourned the continuation of trial and cross examination of PW2 untill Feb. 27; March 18, March 19, March 20 and March 30.
NAN reports that Faisal was, on Nov. 26, admitted to a bail in the sum of N60 million, with a surety in the like sum, who must be a member of House of Representatives.
The three-count charge reads: “T
you, Faisal Abdulrasheed Maina (
alias Alhaji Faisal
Farms 2) between Oct. 2013 and June 2019 within the jurisdiction of this Hon. Court did operate an anonymous account No: (Phone/Email) (Alh Faisal Abdullahi Farms 2) in a commercial bank
concealing your true identity and you thereby committed an offence contrary to Section 11 (1) of the Money Laundering (Prohibition) Act, 2011 (as amended)
punishable under section 11 (4) of the same Act.
“That you Faisal Abdulrasheed Maina (alias Alh Faisal
Farms 2) between Oct. 2013 and June 2019 within the jurisdiction of this Hon. Court, indirectly controlled an aggregate sum of N58,111,585.00 (Fifty Eight. Million, One Hundred and Eleven
Hundred and Eighty Five Naira only) paid through a commercial bank account of Alh. Faisal Abdullahi Farms II, when you reasonably ought to have known fhat the said funds formed part of the
corruption of one Abdulrasheed Abdullahi Maina who is facing a separate charge) and you thereby committed an offence contrary to Section 15 (2)(d) of the Money Laundering (Prohibition) Act, 2011 (as amended) and punishable under section 15 (3) and (4) of the same Act.
“That you Faisal Addulrasheed Maina on or about Oct 3, 2019, at Abuja, within the jurisdiction of this Hon Court knowingly failed to make full disclosure of your assets and liabilities in the Declaration of Assets Form dated Oct. 3, 2019 which you filled at the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) office at No. 5, Fomella Street, Wise II , Abuja, and you thereby committed an offence contrary to Section 27 (3)(a) of the EFCC (Establishment) Act., 2004 and punishable under Section 27 (3)(c) of the same Act.”
Edited By: Sadiya Hamza
- Simbas 2020 training squad announced
- The International Organization for Migration (IOM) Appeals for USD 119.3 Million To Support Humanitarian and Development Responses in South Sudan
- “Ignore online bullies,” Reality star, Khafi advises fans
- APPO seeks collaboration among African countries on oil, gas
- Call for proposals – Innovative Projects for Civil Society and Coalition of Actors (PISCCA) “Five Eleven, Coalition for Women” Second phase of selection- 2020
- Weight loss company accepts Eniola Badmus as experiment
- KEPA inspects medical waste evacuation in Kaduna hospitals
- Govt. assures Enugu athletes of 3-week camping, participation at 20th NSF
- Kebbi Govt. tasks communities on protection of public facilities
- ECOWAS calls for urgent proactive approach to Africa’s devt, peace, stability
- Niger govt. mulls reactivation of Baro-Minna rail line -SSG
- Union of agricultural employees urges Kwara govt. to pay members hazard allowance
- Ethiopia races against time to control locusts as the planting season starts
- Baptist Church lauds Gov. Sule’s leadership
- Osun Anti-kidnapping Bill: Stakeholders call for death penalty for kidnappers
- Onu, Diete-Spiff to partner on non combustible engine invention
- Enugu LG election: 296 candidates to vie for 17 chairmanship seats
- EU orders quarantine for staff who travelled to Northern Italy
- Plant Health: Quarantine service establishes clinics in geopolitical zones
- We’ll deliver on Ogbemudia Stadium Complex’s gymnasium by March 13, contractor says
- Three docked for allegedly stealing 4 mobile phones from LUTH doctors
- Anambra Assembly urges FRSC to checkmate reckless driving on highways
- His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed meets Algerian Army Chief of Staff at UMEX 2020
- Poor knowledge bane of effective eye care in Nigeria – Ophthalmologist
- Army presents cheques to families of fallen heroes
- Man docked for allegedly issuing N6.7 m dud cheque
- Trump says he has received no election ‘help’ from another country
- Trade negotiation office targets key service sectors for AfCFTA implementation
- Sports Commission chairman seeks Gombe House of Assembly’s support for financial autonomy
- Hot Weather: Sellers of sachet water make brisk business in Enugu
- 7 killed, 150 injured in riots in New Delhi
- Man docked for allegedly slapping policeman in Osun
- Bill to confer immunity on presiding officers passes 2nd reading
- Imposed tough visa rules: Experts task FG on improved homeland security
- Minister lauds forum over efforts to address substandard medicines
- Alleged N400m fraud: Court convicts Metu to 7 years imprisonment, orders N375m fine to FG
- 3 states willing to implement national livestock plan -Umahi
- Birds go missing in South Africa’s Million Dollar Pigeon Race
- Reps query NIMASA over claims on management accounts
- CORRECTION: African Union Executive Council endorses African Development Bank President Adesina for second term
- Kano State Govt plans integrated transportation system
- MACBAN suspends former Bauchi chief scribe
- Expert calls on state governments to increase commitment to eradicating hepatitis
- Boy,8, dies in well in Kano
- Minimum wage: Workers in Enugu pay ‘thank you visit’ to Gov. Ugwuanyi
- Kaduna Govt. develops social protection policy
- NPFL: Rangers optimistic of 3 points against Nasarawa United in Lafia
- UBEC partners UNICEF to train mobilisation staff, desk officers
- EFCC arraigns 3 men for defrauding employer of N85.5m
- Buhari lauds Akeredolu over industrial hub, N5bn Ore flyover
- Carpenter in court over alleged breach of trust, cheating
- Education, digital literacy panacea for hate speech
- NAF destroys insurgents structures, logistics facilities in Borno
- Zamfara APC holds special prayer sessions
- World Bank spends more than $580m on ACE projects in West, Central Africa
- NSF: We’re 95 per cent ready, says Edo Govt
- Man, 35, docked over alleged unlawful dealing in 2.3kg of illicit drug
- Haulage: Senate investigates compliance to road safety laws
- Footballer’s killing: Police disband Zonal Intervention Squad in Ogun
- LG Elections: Police warn against violence in Enugu
- We are making huge stride against terrorists in NE –Buratai
- Senate probes non-remittance of taxes to state governments
- World Rugby 7s Challenger Series Recap
- Centres record 2, 500 conflict cases resolved by traditional rulers in Adamawa
- 20-yr-old bags 6 months jail term for cyber crime
- Woman in court for stealing N345, 930 from employer
- Turkey says 132 on flight from Iran to be quarantined
- Lawmakers pledge support for NAFDAC
- Exposure to domestic violence damages children mentally, emotionally – Psychiatrist
- Man, 37, docked for allegedl impersonation, N1.5m. fraud
- Afreximbank, FCI collaborate on factoring in SMEs financing
- EFCC arraigns Polaris bank staff for allegedly stealing customer’s N12.6m
- Kidnapping, Banditry: Nasarawa Assembly passes witness protection bill
- Court remands man over alleged fraudulent collection of 20 bags of rice
- Iranian official tasked with coronavirus response says he is infected
- Trump says stock markets will crash if he loses election
- Physical conditions of older persons can affect their mental health, says expert
- Wife drags husband to court for calling her ”prostitute”
- Challenges of menstruation and hygiene management among young girls
- Egyptian presidency mourns Mubarak as ‘hero’ of war with Israel
- World Bank executes N20bn water projects in Bauchi
- Update: German prosecutors urge security review for carnival parades
- NITDA urges private sector companies to implement National Digital Economy Policy
- Netanyahu says will press ahead with E-1 settlement project in West Bank
- Court remands ex-convict for allegedly stealing cell phone
- Pakistani anti-military activist released after bail
- Keffi will be transformed into befitting gateway -Gov Sule
- Zailani emerges Kaduna Assembly Speaker
- Singapore bans visitors who have traveled to virus-hit areas in South Korea
- Leadership Vanguard lauds 9th Assembly for harmonious relations with Executive
- Woman in court for refusing to pay N441,700 night club bills
- FG holds campaign against visa ban in U.S.
- Providing Mental Health and Psychosocial Support for Gambian Shipwreck Survivors
- Eight men put to death in mass execution
- 7 die in violent citizenship law protests in Delhi as Trump visits
- Don’t lie in your Code of Conduct forms, political office holders cautioned
- Buhari greets Sir Marc Wabara at 69
- Young Blitzboks know all about patience and determination
- Court strikes out cheating charge for lack of diligent prosecution
- Man detained for filming car ramming incident at German Carnival
- Towards advancing green business and circular economy in Africa
- Virus ‘literally knocking at the door’, WHO warns countries
- European court approves deportation of Sikh families to Afghanistan
- Court finds Olisa Metuh guilty on 7 counts of N400m money laundering
- Energy centre urges lawmakers, institutions to patronise its renewable energy products
- Japan, China, and S. Korea see rising coronavirus-related infections
- Reconstitute Federal Character Commission management, Senate tells Buhari
- EU ministers to approve negotiating mandate for UK trade talks
- Championing the Fight Against Infertility Stigmatization, the Melody Voice of Pres. Weah (By Hawa Dolley)
- Cross River Govt. to partner FG to boost solid mineral sector
- Scrap collector docked for allegedly stealing items worth N238,000
- German police confirm 18 children injured in car accident in Volkmarsen
- A World Rugby Training in Mauritian schools
- More than 400 Filipinos from Japanese cruise ship to return home – Foreign ministry
- Immunisation officers applaud Ugwuanyi for prompt, regular payment of stipend
- Insurgency: Senate seeks re-establishment of military base in Sambisa borders
- UNGA president tasks member countries, stakeholders to focus attention on human rights issues
- Court remands man for allegedly defiling 4-year-old daughter
- Coronavirus outbreak spreads to Italy’s south; EU to discuss response
- Union wants Bauchi State Govt. to review redistribution policy of health workers
- Nadal feels at home in Acapulco as he returns to action
- No justice as journalist Kabendera slapped with heavy fines after months in jail
- Businessman bags 5 years jail for theft
- Former Egyptian president, Hosni Mubarak, dies at 91
- Trader bags 2 years in prison for stealing ram
- Court dissolves 3-year-old marriage over irreconcilable differences
- Nigerian graduates need more than book knowledge for gainful employment- Expert
- Court jails 3 men for assaulting policemen
- U.S. diplomat criticises EU’s stance towards rule of law in Poland
- Ekiti LG pledges to promote grassroots sports
- Zamfara Govt donates N10m to fire victims
- NBA roundup: Bucks overcome Wizards, Beal (55 points) in OT
- NAPTIP to intensify war against human traffickers in Lagos, says Commander
- Kidnappers release 10 victims in Kogi
- SMW 2020: Use African visuals to project brands in Nigeria – Panel
- Mauritius launches its 2020 season with the QUIKRIP
- Next Einstein Forum Unveils Top 25 Innovators to Compete At Its Global Gathering
- 3 more die of Covid-19 in Iran, 95 test positive; 4 new cases in Iraq
- Social Media Week: Good sleep enhances productivity, life span
- Spanish opera star Placido Domingo apologizes to women after harassment claims – report
- Poor parental sanitation, leading cause of diarrhoea in children–Nurse
- FAO donates agriculture livelihood to 1,000 Cameroonian refugees
- NCF leads winter bird census at Hadejia-Nguru wetlands
- Prophet in court for allegedly sodomising teenage boys
- Turkey’s Erdogan says no agreement yet on 4-way Syria summit
- Agent in court over alleged N2m land fraud in Ogun
- We are committed to speaking for voiceless Nigerians–NUJ
- Institute produces 150 donkeys from 2010 to 2019-Director
- South Korea to launch mass coronavirus testing, U.S. pledges $1bn for vaccine
- Mahatir’s resignation: Malaysia’s opposition claims majority in parliament
- African Union Executive Council endorses African Development Bank President Adesina for second term
- Applicant, clergy in court for allegedly threatening to kill trader
- President Beach Volleyball Cup: NVBF assures of grooming discovered talents
- When Operation AWATSE destroys pipeline vandals’ 200 illegal structures and shrine
- CBN, RIFAN task rice farmers in C’ River on loan repayment
- Melania Trump attends happiness class at Delhi school
- Bayelsa governorship tribunal: PDP withdraws petition against INEC, APC
- Don attributes UNN-SUG free, fair election to biometric voting
- UNIBEN Senate elects 3 new Deputy Vice Chancellors
- Custons FOU Zone “B” intercepts 400 bags of smuggled rice concealed under water melons
- Customs FOU Zone “B” intercepts 400 bags of smuggled rice concealed under water melons
- Funding of Rugby drives Ghana Stakeholder Congress
- Federal lawmaker gives scholarship to 44 students
- Italy hosts summit with neighbouring countries on coronavirus crisis
- Ikeja Electric to refund customers for prepaid meters procured under MAP scheme
- London court holds hearing on Julian Assange’s extradition
- Hypertension, diabetes, risk factors for Chronic Kidney Disease-Expert
- Alleged bribery: 2 bank staff testify in Sen. Shehu Sani’s trial
- 7 killed, 160 injured in violence over India’s controversial law
- Sweden demands release of Hong Kong bookseller
- Absence of judge stalls report of settlement in N100m suit
- Flash: Kaduna Assembly Speaker resigns
- Gov. Mohammed appoints GM for Bauchi State Agricultural Supply Coy
- Africa’s energy transition gains traction as Siemens Gamesa introduces renewable energy in Djibouti
- 112-year-old Japanese man, world’s oldest living male, dies
- Paracetamol: Health experts raise alarm over food enhancers as NAFDAC beams searchlight on restaurant operators in Northeast
- Novartis and Drugs for Neglected Diseases initiative (DNDi) to collaborate on the development of a new oral drug to treat Visceral Leishmaniasis
- On the grants for studies in Belarus in the academic year 2021/2022
- Insecurity: BMO urges military to maintain winning streak
- Subscribers want FG, NLC to stop developer from selling civil servants land in Apo-Tafyi
- Liverpool fight back against West Ham to continue winning streak
- Kano Govt to buy N98m kits for 1,792 football clubs
- Anonymous donor offers N400,000 lifeline to 4 blind students in Kebbi
- ‘Amotekun’ will attract more investors, improve Nigeria’s economy, says Gani Adams
- Zamfara: Tsafe LG chairman, others dump APC for PDP
- Gov. Matawalle appoints fmr DIG as security adviser
- Late NSCDC officer’s colleagues mourn, eulogise her
- Foundation offers free medical treatment to 2, 000 patients in Bauchi
- FG begins implementation of N46.83bn agric scheme in Niger Delta – Minister
- Include Miyetti Allah members in Amotekun Corps – Bello
- Insecurity: NUJ president advocates constitutional role for monarchs
- Association of GenCos raises concern on electricity tariff review
- Nigerian in diaspora advocates effective data management
- UBEC partners UNICEF to address education challenges
- 30 injured as car crashes into German Carnival parade
- NiMet predicts dust, cloudy conditions for Tuesday
- Insurgency: Gov. Zulum commends Nigerians for special prayer for peace
- FG lauds SMEDAN MSMEs online registration programme
- Public Hearing: PDP, Agbekoya, others drum support for Amotekun in Lagos
- United Nations Calls for Nominations for Nelson Mandela Prize