(NAN ) An FCT High Court ,Nyanya on Friday closed the prosecution’s case against one Gamno Dawa, charged with with alleged rape and armed robbery, for lack of diligent prosecution.
NAN reports that Dawa, 32, was arraigned in 2016 by the police on three counts bordering on rape and armed robbery.
The Judge, Justice Baba Idris, gave the order, following the failure of the Prosecution Counsel, Mr Augustine Urom to be in court.
Idris noted that hearing notice was served on the prosecution as contained in the records of the court and they are not in court and did not notify the court reason for the absence.
He adjourned the case until June 26 for adoption of written addresses.
The defendant’s counsel, Mr Steve Imokhe, told the court that the defence counsel who was supposed to cross-examine the defendant was not in court.
In his evidence in chief, Dawa denied all the charge filed against him.
The police alleged that Dawa and two others, at large conspired on Dec. 6, 2015 and robbed one Mohammed Usman of Gwarinpa and his household.
The police alleged that the defendant also raped the 18-year-old daughter of Usman.
The police also alleged that the defedant, stole N3, 050, one IPad, a pair of shoes, one laptop bag and six mobile phones valued at N395, 000.
The offence, the police said, contravened the provisions of sections 16 (b), 1 (2) of the Robbery and Firearms (Special Provision) Act, 2004 and 283 of Penal Code. (NAN )
- Belgian tourism affected by COVID-19 pandemic
- New York officials urge stop of violence in George Floyd protests
- S. Korea reports 27 more COVID-19 cases, 11,468 in total
- New Yorkers continue to protest over George Floyd’s death
- U.S. Seattle announces curfew for weekend after protests
- S. Africa allows phased reopening of tourism amid COVID-19
- New Zealand reports no new COVID-19 case for 9 consecutive days
- S. Africa’s COVID-19 cases surpass 30,000
- Rwanda reports first COVID-19 death
- 1st LD Writethru: 5.3-magnitude quake hits 1210 km N of Acarau, Brazil — USGS
- Los Angeles declares curfew after four days of protests
- Belgium’s hospitality industry heavily affected by COVID-19 pandemic
- Portuguese president, PM pay tribute to firefighters amid COVID-19 pandemic
- Hundreds of people arrested after protests against police brutality in Los Angeles
- Cuba backs WHO after U.S. announces terminating relationship
- Spotlight: NASA, SpaceX launch first crewed mission from U.S. soil since 2011
- Feature: Deported Salvadoran recalls dangerous conditions, inadequate care at U.S. detention center during pandemic
- People protest in U.S. Oakland over police-custody death of George Floyd
- Global COVID-19 cases top 6 mln — Johns Hopkins University
- SpaceX launches NASA astronauts into orbit on historic mission