Connect with us

General news

Alves joins Sao Paulo on free transfer

Published

on

Former Paris St-Germain (PSG) right-back Dani Alves has joined Sao Paulo on a free transfer, the Brazilian top-flight club said on Friday.

The 36-year-old Brazil captain Alves signed a deal until December 2022 after leaving PSG at the end of his contract in June.

Alves is the only player to win 40 trophies across club and international football and Sao Paulo referred to the signing as the “the most victorious player in the history of football”.

The former FC Barcelona and Juventus right-back will play Brazilian club football for the first time since 2002, with Bahia.

“Daniel Alves is the embodiment of what this management envisions for Sao Paulo,” Sao Paulo President, Carlos Augusto de Barros Silva, said.

“He is also a socially-engaged citizen and passionate about our country. Sao Paulo, therefore, wins on every possible front.

“One day I told Daniel that he would come to play at Sao Paulo. Today, I have the immense joy and pride to have kept that promise.”

Alves, who has been capped 115 times for Brazil, recently led his country to the Copa America title on home soil and was voted the player of the tournament.(Reuters/NAN)

(Edited by Remi Koleoso and Olawale Alabi)

Foreign

S.Korea’s car export almost halves in April over COVID-19

Published

on

By

South Korea’s automotive export almost halved last month on an economic fallout from the COVID-19 outbreak across the world, a government report showed Friday.

The number of vehicles exported in April was 123,906, down 44.3 percent from a year ago, according to the Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy.

The coronavirus pandemic across the world weakened global demand for vehicles. The auto parts shipment dropped 49.6 percent to 1.02 billion U.S. dollars in the month.

Car sale in the domestic market grew 8.0 percent over the year to 167,375 units in April owing to a temporary tax cut for car purchases and the launch of new models.

The sale of locally-made vehicles rose 6.4 percent to 144,230 units, while the imported car sale jumped 18.7 percent to 23,145 vehicles.

The number of vehicles produced in domestic factories was 289,515 in April, down 22.2 percent from a year earlier.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Coronavirus

HSBC profit halves in Q1 amid coronavirus pandemic

Published

on

By

British multinational investment bank HSBC said on Tuesday that its profits halved for the first quarter mainly due to the global impact of the COVID-19 outbreak.

The company’s reported profit before tax dropped to 3.2 billion U.S. dollars, down 48 percent from the same period last year, according to figures released Tuesday.

HSBC also forecast its expected credit losses, a provision for loans going bad, would increased to 3 billion dollars as customers may fail to repay them during the pandemic.

“The economic impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on our customers has been the main driver of the change in our financial performance since the turn of the year. The resultant increase in expected credit losses in the first quarter contributed to a material fall in reported profit before tax compared with the same period last year,” HSBC Group Chief Executive Noel Quinn said.

However, the company said it would put on hold its massive job cuts announced previously to reduce the uncertainty employees are facing at this difficult time.

HSBC announced in February to cut 35,000 jobs over three years, a move understood as part of a major restructuring plan to reduce costs by 4.5 billion dollars by 2022.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Oil & Gas

DPR wants tankers to be fitted with valves to prevent spillage

Published

on

By

The Department of Petroleum Resources (DPR) has recommended that petrol tankers should be fitted with valves to prevent spillage in event of a rollover.

 

The Agency also said it was better for Nigeria to return to the era of 33,000 litres maximum capacity for tankers instead of the 45,000 litres currently being conveyed by majority of the trucks.

 

Mr Rufai Shakur, Acting Director, Department of Petroleum Resources (DPR), said these at the 13th edition of the Oil Trading and Logistics (OTL Africa Downstream) Conference held in Lagos.

 

Nigeria News Agency reports that the conference has as its theme: “Growth, Innovation and Technology’’.

 

Shakur, represented by Mr Oluwole Akinyosoye, DPR Zonal Operations Controller, Lagos, Ogun, Oyo, Kwara and Osun States, said the recommendations were the fallout from the Agency’s recently concluded Annual General Meeting with its stakeholders.

 

He said the DPR was concerned about the frequency of tanker accidents across Nigeria, stressing that this could be as a result of the high volume of fuel being conveyed by the trucks.

 

According to him, apart from endangering lives and properties, over-laden tankers also endanger the lifespan of Nigerian roads.

 

“It was also recommended that all petrol tankers should be fitted with valves that would prevent spillage in event of a rollover.

 

“Think of it, if we had that, the recent inferno at Onitsha, arising from spillage from a petroleum taker would not have happened.

 

“The 2018 incident on Otedola Bridge and many other fire incidents consequent on truck rollover might also have been averted’’,  Shakur said.

 

He said it was safer and more efficient to use rail and pipelines for transporting of petroleum products.

 

He noted that this was however being hampered by activities of vandals which needed to be tackled using modern technology.

 

Shakur, while commending the organisers of the conference, said the DPR would continue to support initiatives that would improve operations in the downstream sector.

 

Earlier, Mr Alex Egbona, Deputy Chairman, House Committee on Petroleum (Downstream Sector), said the sector was very crucial to ordinary Nigerians due to its impact on their daily lives.

 

Egbona said the committee had charged the Minister of State for Petroleum, Mr Timipre Sylva, during his recent budget defence, to ensure that all refineries were working optimally within the next four years.

 

He said the lawmakers were also planning to hold town hall meetings with critical stakeholders in the Niger Delta to find a lasting solution to oil theft and pipeline vandalism.

Edited by Gregg Mmaduakolam/Oluwole Sogunle

 

Continue Reading

Health

Lagos Govt ‘ll ensure speedy completion of all ongoing health projects- Goncalves

Published

on

The Lagos State Government says it will ensure the speedy completion of all ongoing projects in line with the Gov. Babajide Sanwo-Olu-led administration’s drive to improve access to quality and efficient healthcare services.

Dr Titilayo Goncalves, Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Health, made the assertion during an inspection tour of Maternal and Childcare Centre (MCC) project in Lekki, Eti-Osa.

Goncalves said that the governor, through approval for resumption of work at various ongoing health projects, had demonstrated that he was committed to achieving universal health coverage.

“One of such projects is the Maternal and Childcare facility which is strategically located in Eti-Osa to provide maternal and child healthcare services.

“The MCC is a specialised facility designed solely for the health needs of women of child bearing age and children.

“Also, various health services targeted at women and children including, delivery, gynaecology, pediatrics services, immunisation, among others, will be available at the facility,” she said.

The permanent secretary said medical services would soon commence at the centre, adding installation of equipment were at advance stages of completion.

She said that logistics were being put in place to ease the process of smooth take-off.

According to her, MCC, which is one among 10 others strategically located across the state, will complement other maternal and child healthcare strategies to provide expected succour to mothers and children.

“The construction of the MCCs underscore, not only government’s capacity to reduce infant and maternal mortality, but will also brings to the fore government’s imagination and determination to deliver strong healthcare for children and mothers,” Goncalves said.

She urged parents to patronise only accredited healthcare facilities and participate in all child survival interventions and programmes being carried out by the state government.

“I strongly believe that commencement of operation at MCC, Lekki, Eti-Osa will help address the issue of maternal and child mortality in Eti-Osa Local Government area,” Goncalves said.

Continue Reading

General news

Rosario Goncalves of Cape Verde emerges ECONEC new president

Published

on

Continue Reading

General news

La Liga: Alves appoint Garitano as coach

Published

on

Coach

Garitano, who took Leganes into La Liga in 2016, joined Real Sociedad last summer but was sacked in December after eight defeats in 17 league games.

“Deportivo Alaves want to welcome the coach from Vergara and wish him the best of luck in his new era as a blue-and-white,” Alaves said in a statement.

Alaves finished 11th this season but were in contention to qualify for European competition for much of the campaign.

“Alaves did their utmost to keep hold of me,” Abelardo told reporters on Monday.

Continue Reading

General news

Champions League: PSG should listen to me more, says Alves

Published

on

Champions League: PSG should listen to me more, says Alves

PSG

With three Champions League crowns, three Club World Cup titles and two UEFA Cup triumphs among his trophy haul the full back is the world’s most decorated active player.

The experienced Brazilian however feels his voice is not being heard at runaway Ligue 1 leaders PSG.

PSG have been knocked out of the Champions League in the last 16 for three years in a row, going out on away goals against Manchester United this season after winning the first leg 2-0 at Old Trafford.

“I know how to win,” the 35-year-old, who joined PSG in 2017 from Juventus and has been negotiating a contract extension for next season, told RMC Sport.

“When I want to say something I would like to be followed. Not because I’m better than any other but because I’ve been there.

“When someone has been there maybe it’s good to listen to them, to rely on their experience.

“Maybe it will work, maybe it won’t. I would like that when I say something, one would listen more.”

Alves, who spent six years at Sevilla and eight at Barcelona before moving to Italy in 2016, felt PSG should have been less complacent and more aware that history was against them.

“When you are up against a historical opponent in football, boxing, tennis, history will always be against you,” he said.

Continue Reading

General news

PSG’s Dani Alves house burgled during match

Published

on

Burglary
Paris, Feb. 23, 2019 (Reuters/NNN) Thieves broke in and stole luxury watches from the home of Dani Alves of Paris St Germain (PSG) while the Brazilian defender was playing a match earlier this week.

French sports newspaper L’Equipe reported the burglary on Saturday.

Alves is the third PSG player to be targeted by thieves in recent months.

The homes of Alves’ team mates Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting and Thiago Silva were also broken into in November and December during matches, L’Equipe said.

Burglars entered Alves house in Neuilly-sur-Seine, just outside of Paris, on Wednesday while he was playing a Ligue 1 match against Montpellier.(Reuters/NNN)
OLAL

Continue Reading

Foreign

Breastfeeding for 6 months halves diabetes risk in women: study

Published

on

Breastfeeding for six months or longer appears to significantly cut the risk of a woman developing type II diabetes, a 30-year U.S. study said.

The Kaiser Permanente research, published in the U.S. journal JAMA Internal Medicine, analysed data from the Coronary Artery Risk Development in Young Adults (CARDIA) study, a national, multi-centre investigation that originally enrolled about 5,000 adults aged 18 to 30 in 1985 to 1986.

This study included 1,238 black and white women who did not have diabetes when they enrolled in CARDIA, or prior to their subsequent pregnancies.

Over the next 30 years, each woman had at least one live birth and was routinely screened for diabetes under the CARDIA protocol.

Participants also reported lifestyle behaviors such as diet and physical activity and the total amount of time they breastfed their children.

It showed that women who breastfed for six months or more across all births had a 47 per cent reduction in their risk of developing type II diabetes compared to those who did not breastfeed at all.

Women who breastfed for six months or less had a 25 per cent reduction in diabetes risk.

“We found a very strong association between breastfeeding duration and lower risk of developing diabetes, even after accounting for all possible confounding risk factors,” said lead author Erica Gunderson, senior research scientist with the Kaiser Permanente Division of Research.

The new findings added to a growing body of evidence that breastfeeding has protective effects for both mothers and their offspring, including lowering a mother’s risk of breast and ovarian cancer.

Previous research identifying an association between breastfeeding and protection against later diabetes was conducted in older women using self-reported diabetes.

Several plausible biological mechanisms are possible for the protective effects of breastfeeding, including the influence of lactation-associated hormones on the pancreatic cells that control blood insulin levels and thereby impact blood sugar.

Tracy Flanagan, director of women’s health for Kaiser Permanente Northern California said: “we have known for a long time that breastfeeding has many benefits both for mothers and babies.

“However, previous evidence showed only weak effects on chronic disease in women.

“Now we see much stronger protection from this new study showing that mothers who breastfeed for months after their delivery, may be reducing their risk of developing type II diabetes by up to one half as they get older.

“This is yet another reason that doctors, nurses, and hospitals as well as policymakers should support women and their families to breastfeed as long as possible.”

SH

Continue Reading

Contact US: editor @nnn.com.ng, nnnnews247 @gmail.com

Read Also