Obiano, had in a letter dated Oct. 7, sent the list of nominees to the state assembly for consideration and confirmation.
The tenure of the transitional committee, as approved by the state assembly, is three months, after which it could be renewed or fresh appointments made.
Addressing chairmen of the transition committee, the Speaker of the House, Mr Uche Okafor, said that the screening and confirmation was aimed at fostering good governance at the grassroots.
Uche urged them to be committed and key into Gov. Obiano’s developmental projects, and as well, monitor the projects in their localities.
“I urge you to initiate programmes that will better the lives of the rural populace and shun acts capable of retarding the progress of the state, “Okafor said.
Speaking on behalf of his colleagues, Chairman of Idenmili North LG, Mr Raphael Nnabuife, thanked the legislators for confirming their appointment.
Nnabuife promised that they would live up to people’s expectations.
Meanwhile, Mrs Beverly Nkemdiche (Onitsha South), expressed reservations over the person nominated to be chairman of the Local Government Transition Committee in her constituency.
“I did not nominate you, so I cannot step you down. I am, however, compelled to confirm you as the chairman, Transition Committee for Onitsha South, ” she said.
NAN reports that a former member of the house, Mr Chukwudi Orizu, who represented Nnewi North Constituency and a former Deputy Speaker at the state assembly, was among the local government transition committee chairmen. (NAN)
Edited by Dorcas Jonah/Olagoke Olatoye
- NAHCO generates N7.38bn revenue in nine months
- TY Danjuma Foundation marks 10 years of philanthropy, promises more on healthcare
- Sudan inaugurates first childhood diabetes centre on World Diabetes Day
- Aisha Buhari inaugurates Kogi Presidential Lodge
- NNPC secures $1.16m US grant for 1,350MW Abuja Power Plant
- Airtel Africa set to expand Nigerian market with additional spectrum
- Group recommends procedures to enhance credibility of LG polls
- Kogi Election: Foundation cautions politicians against violence, malpractices
- Russia will recognise legitimate authorities in Bolivia only after elections – Zakharova
- Accident bureau releases preliminary reports on Air Peace incidents
- NSE market capitalisation inches N245bn, as fixed income instrument yields decline
- Kebbi Govt to disburse N1.5bn loan to livestock farmers
- FG says other options available for social media regulation
- Why we decided to work in harmony with Executive-Lawan
- Buhari writes Scientific Magazine, says planting trees solution to conflicts
- Gov. Ugwuanyi pledges support for indigenous companies to grow
- Kogi poll: Coalition calls for level playing ground for all candidates
- U.S. wants coalition to focus on foreign IS fighters, Africa
- Ember Months: FRSC decry high rate of accidents in Nasarawa
- Yuletide: FRSC harps on safe-driving culture to ensure zero crash, zero fatality