Connect with us

Judiciary

Anambra elections tribunal strikes out 12 petitions

Published

on

The Anambra Elections Petitions Tribunal sitting in Awka says it has struck out  16 petitions out of the 42 filed.

Mrs Falilat Orire, the Secretary of the tribunal, made this known in an interview with Nigeria News Agency in Awka on Thursday.

Orire said four petitions including one for Senate, one for House of Representatives and two for the state House of Assembly were dismissed for lack of diligent prosecution.

The scribe said seven petitions had been consolidated into three.

She said those withdrawn and struck out include two for Senate, one for House of Representatives and nine for the state House of Assembly.

She said only 22 petitions were still pending  before the state election tribunal.

Agriculture

Anambra govt. empowers teachers with farm inputs for school farming

Published

on

By

Mr Nnamdi Onukwuba, the Commissioner for Agriculture in Anambra says the ministry has extended its farm inputs distribution to schools across the state for the 2020 farming season.

Onukwuba made this known on Thursday while presenting the farm inputs to some teachers in Awka.

The commissioner urged the teachers to key into the subsistence farming policy for school children initiated by Gov. Willie Obiano to promote agriculture in the state.

He said that most public primary and secondary schools in the state have large expanse of land, which could be used for cropping activities and urged the teachers to maximise the policy.

He described Obiano as agriculture-friendly governor, who had always supported farmers with certified inputs and wished to put food on the table of the people of the state.

“We want to chase away hunger and unemployment in our state; we must join hands with the governor to promote agriculture,” he said.

He said that the inputs support given to the schools would achieve maximum yield and tasked the teachers to make efforts to achieve the government’s goal of encouraging young farmers in the state.

Onukwuba charged the teachers to apply the inputs using best agricultural practices to achieve the objective which the school farming was initiated.

He said that the ministry had presented pumpkin, okro and maize seedlings, sweet potatoes, lime, cassava stems and organic fertiliser to various schools.

Mrs Ifenyinwa Uzoka, the Director of Extension Services in the ministry, who briefed the teachers on the best agricultural practices, said an agro company, “Harvest plus” provided some of the seedlings to the ministry to support government’s call for  “Go back to Agriculture” initiative.

Mr Joevita Arazu, the Principal of Igwebuike Grammar School Awka, who spoke on behalf of other teachers reassured of their support to government policies.

Arazu said that they would do their best to key into the new policy of subsistence farming for school children.

He commended the government and ministry of agriculture for their support to schools in the state and promised to utilise the inputs properly.


Edited By: Nick Nicholas/Grace Yussuf (NAN)

Continue Reading

Metro

Accident claims life of shuttle bus driver in Anambra

Published

on

The Sector Commander of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) in Anambra, Mr Andrew Kumapayi, on Friday confirmed the death of a shuttle bus driver at Upper-Iweka in Onitsha.

 

Kumapayi told the News Agency of Nigeria in Awka that  the  driver of the  bus died as a result of an accident involving his vehicle, a Prado jeep and two other shuttle buses.

 

The commander said  that  the accident which occurred at about 9 a.m. was caused by brake failure.

 

“The crash occurred after the brakes of a Prado Jeep with registration number UWN277PE failed and rammed into three shuttle buses with registration numbers: AWK279XJ, ATN57XB and HAL420ZX.

 

“A total of four male adults were involved in the crash.

 

“Two sustained some degree of injuries while one of the shuttle bus drivers was confirmed dead by  the doctors at St. John Hospital and Maternity, Onitsha, where they  were rushed to by the FRSC rescue team.

 

“His  corpse had been deposited at a morgue while the driver of the Jeep had been handed over to the police for further investigation, “he said.

 

Also, he said that a Mercedes Benz Truck went up in flames on the River Niger Bridge, after developing some electrical faults.

 

3Csvg%20xmlns=’http://www.w3.org/2000/svg’%20viewBox=’0%200%20300%20168’%3E%3C/svg%3E” alt=”” width=”300″ height=”168″ data-lazy-srcset=”https://portal.nannews.ng/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/IMG_20200605_131928-300×168.jpg 300w, https://portal.nannews.ng/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/IMG_20200605_131928-1024×572.jpg 1024w, https://portal.nannews.ng/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/IMG_20200605_131928-768×429.jpg 768w, https://portal.nannews.ng/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/IMG_20200605_131928.jpg 1040w” data-lazy-sizes=”(max-width: 300px) 100vw, 300px” data-lazy-src=”https://portal.nannews.ng/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/IMG_20200605_131928-300×168.jpg”>IMG_20200605_131928-300×168.jpg” alt=”” width=”300″ height=”168″ srcset=”https://portal.nannews.ng/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/IMG_20200605_131928-300×168.jpg 300w, https://portal.nannews.ng/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/IMG_20200605_131928-1024×572.jpg 1024w, https://portal.nannews.ng/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/IMG_20200605_131928-768×429.jpg 768w, https://portal.nannews.ng/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/IMG_20200605_131928.jpg 1040w” sizes=”(max-width: 300px) 100vw, 300px”>
Truck catches fire on Niger Bridge in Onitsha

Kumapayi said it occurred at about 8a.m. on Friday and the Fire Service  personnel were contacted immediately to put out the fire.

 

He said that  an FRSC heavy duty tow truck was brought in to tow the vehicle off the bridge after the fire had been  successfully extinguished.

 

According to him, two male adults were involved, but no injury and no death were  recorded.

 

Kumapayi said that clearing of obstruction was ongoing  at the scene of the crash to ensure free flow of traffic.

 

He urged motorists to always ensure that  they checked and service their vehicles regularly, paying particular attention to the brakes and  the electrical systems.

 


Edited By: Chioma Ugboma/Peter Dada (NAN)

 

Continue Reading

Sport

Anambra FA rolls out programmes for state, LFC elections

Published

on

The Anambra State Football Association (AnSFA) has published the programme of activities for the State Board and Local Government Football Council (LFC) elections.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the four-year tenure of the Ifeanyi Ubah led board expired on May 3.

But the board met, at an extraordinary meeting in Awka on April 28, to approve three months extension for itself and the LFCs.

It cited COVID-19 lockdown as the reason for their inability to conduct the elections as they should have done.

The notice, dated May 27 and published at the AnSFA secretariat, Awka stated that the sale of nomination forms for all vacant positions would run from June 1 to June 24.

It then invited interested persons to obtain the form at the secretariat.

The notice was jointly signed by Jude Anyadufu and Chijioke Onyedika, Chairman and Secretary of the electoral committee respectively.

It states that “the electoral committee of AnSFA hereby opens sale of forms from June 1.

“Interested persons are informed to obtain nomination forms and guideline from the committee secretary at the AnSFA office at No.1 Ozoagu Square, Aromma Junction, Awka.

“Sale and return of forms from candidates close on June 24.

The committee said a list of successful candidates would be published on July 2 while submission and hearing of appeals would hold on July 4.

It also stated that election into the State Board and swearing-in of the new leadership would hold on July 21 while the date for Local Football Committees would be announced later.


Edited By: Chioma Ugboma/Abdulfatah Babatunde (NAN)

Continue Reading

Metro

Woman dies in Anambra road accident 

Published

on

A crash at Egbebele, along Abatete-Oraukwu road, in Orumba North, Anambra, has left one person dead and two others injured.

Mr Andrew Kumapayi, the Sector Commander of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) in Anambra, confirmed the incident to the News Agency of Nigeria in Awka on Thursday.

Kumapayi said the accident, which occurred at about 3:04p.m., could be attributed to the driver losing control of the vehicle due to excessive speed.

“Three victims were involved: two male adults and one female adult. They were in a Toyota Hiace bus with registration number AKD 758 FR.

“The driver lost control of the vehicle due to overspeeding and crashed into the bush.

“The victims were rushed to Iyi-Enu Hospital, where the female victim was confirmed dead and the corpse deposited at the morgue of the same hospital.

Operatives of the Nigeria Police Force and NIgeria Security and Civil Defence Corps were instrumental in the rescue operation,” he said.

According to an earlier report, another accident, involving four male adults, occurred at about 10:25.a.m. under the River Niger Bridge in Onitsha.

Kumapayi said the crash involved a Toyota Dyna, with registration number GDD 551 YE and a Suzuki vehicle, with registration number GDD 841ZP.

“The crash was caused by loss of control, with one person sustaining serious injury, while three others sustained minor injuries.

“The victims were rushed to Toronto Hospital Onitsha by the FRSC rescue team from Onitsha Unit Command,” he said.

While condoling with the family of the dead, the sector commander warned motorists against speed limit violation.


Edited By: Moses Solanke/Oluwole Sogunle (NAN)

Continue Reading

Politics

Anambra poll: Aspirant urges PDP to reconsider zoning of ticket

Published

on

A governorship aspirant in Anambra, Mr Valentine Ozigbo, has urged the leadership of the Peoples’ Democratic Party (PDP) to reconsider its stance on the zoning of the 2021 governorship ticket.

Ozigbo, a former Chief Executive Officer of Transnational Corporation of Nigeria Plc, stated this during an online news conference on Thursday in Awka.

He said the yearnings of the people of the state was that the Anambra South Senatorial District should produce the next governor of the state.

The News Agency of Nigeria recalls that the party leadership had said at an expanded South-East Zonal Executive Committee meeting in March that it was not considering zoning of the governorship ticket to any of the three senatorial zones of the state, “at least for now’’.

The National Vice Chairman of the PDP for South East, Chief Austin Umahi, had made the declaration, shortly after the meeting in Enugu.

The meeting was attended by governors Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi of Enugu State, David Umahi of Ebonyi and the Deputy Governor of Abia, Senators Ike Ekweremadu and Sam Anayanwu and other current and past National Assembly members.

The governorship election will hold in November 2021.

According to Ozigbo, for the party to have turned down the zoning of the governorship race does not augur well for the people of Anambra South Senatorial District.

“If the proper things are done and the race zoned to Anambra South Senatorial District, I will win the party primary and become the next governor of the state by the grace of God,’’ he said.

He, however, said that in spite of his party refusal to zone the race, he would still contest and win.

He said he was not afraid to contest against any candidate, including the ex-governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Prof. Chukwuma Soludo.

“If my party gives me the governorship ticket and Soludo emerges in APGA or any other party, I will floor him.

What Soludo has, I have more.

It’s Soludo that will be bothering on how to beat me in the contest because I have the wherewithal and connection to contest and win the election.’’

Expressing confidence that he would emerge the consensus candidate of the PDP, Ozigbo said he had the goodwill of the majority of the party’s leaders in the state.

“I don’t have a godfather; God is my godfather but I have the goodwill of the leaders of our party.

“Some have linked me with Mr Peter Obi, Chief Chris Uba, Prince Nicholas Ukachukwu and a host of others.

That shows I’m popular across the board,’’ Ozigbo said.


Edited By: Joe Idika/Abdulfatah Babatunde (NAN)

Continue Reading

Environment

CLO urges FG to tackle erosion in Anambra

Published

on

The Civil Liberties Organisation (CLO), has urged the Federal Government to evolve measures toward tackling the erosion ravaging many communities in Anambra.

Mr Vincent Ezekwueme, the CLO Chairman in Anambra made the call on Thursday in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria in Enugu.

He said it would be fruitful for the President Muhammadu Buhari-led government to declare emergency on erosion in the state.

“Most erosion impacted sites in Anambra are expanding and deepening, the situation is worsening, especially with the rains,” he said.

The CLO chairman further urged the president to create a special funding arrangement to fight erosion in the state to save the people from serious environmental hazards.

He said a ministerial assessment visit to the state would enable the Federal Government to understand the plight of the people.

“The situation is pathetic, I urge the minister of environment to visit the state for an assessment of the situation,” he said.

Ezekwueme commended the Federal Government for completing the Zik’s Mausoleum after 14 years of neglect.

He further commended the Buhari-led government for the level of work on the Onitsha/Enugu dual carriageway and the second Niger bridge projects.


Edited By: Azubuike Okeh/Grace Yussuf (NAN)

 

 

 

Continue Reading

Health

Anambra has 8 active COVID-19 cases – Obiano

Published

on

Gov. Willie Obiano of Anambra says there are currently eight active COVID-19 cases being treated at Protective Care Centres in the state.

The governor also said 69 persons were on home isolation while two others were at the state’s quarantine facility.

Obiano who disclosed this in a special broadcast to the state on Tuesday in Awka,  said his administration was making efforts to enhance the testing capacity of the state for coronavirus.

He said he had signed the COVID-19 Bill, which made not wearing face mask a punishable offence with fine and community service.

“As it stands now, we have eight patients in our Protective Care Centers, we also have 69 individuals on home quarantine and two individuals in the quarantine facility.

“We are ramping up our testing capacity to ensure that we slow down the spread of this pandemic in our dear state.

The COVID-19 Committees that we have set up in Wards and Local Government Areas across Anambra are helping us in driving the campaign to every nook and cranny of the state.

“I will like to assure you that we have made adequate arrangements to handle the challenges arising from the COVID-19 pandemic.

“As you are probably aware, on Thursday last week, I signed the COVID-19 Bill into law. Under this law, it is an offence to be seen in public without a face mask.

“The offence attracts a fine of N10, 000 or some hours of community service, I will like to re-emphasise that my administration is determined to enforce this law,” he said.

Obiano urged traders and religious leaders not to relax in ensuring that their members continued to adhere to the COVID-19 safety protocols while noting that it had been observed that most of them had jettisoned the safety measures.

He urged healthcare institutions to set up holding centres to keep patients who exhibited symptoms of the virus to check the possibility of spreading it in Anambra.

“I want to warn that we may consider shutting down the markets if this trend is not halted with immediate effect, I have also received similar reports from churches and other religious groups in the state, most of whom have discarded wearing of face masks.

Every hospital in Anambra must set up a mini holding ward where patients whose samples have been taken for COVID-19 test can be kept while the result of the test is awaited.

“This approach will minimise the chances of patients spreading the virus through multiple contacts.

All members of the Nigerian Medical Association practicing in Anambra are expected to inform the Ministry of Health once they collect samples of suspected COVID-19 patients for testing.

“A situation where some members collect samples and send to testing centers on their own is no longer allowed,” he said.


Edited By: Chioma Ugboma/Salif Atojoko (NAN)

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

Police nab 4 suspected motorcycle thieves in Anambra

Published

on

The Police Command in Anambra on Monday, said it arrested four suspected hoodlums, who specialise in snatching motorcycles in the state.

The Police spokesman, Mr Haruna Mohammed, said in Awka that the suspects were arrested in a bush at Nri in Anaocha Local Government Area of the state.

Mohammed said the suspects were arrested following an alleged robbery and injury inflicted on one Nnamdi Ebegbe.

He listed the suspects as Francis Ezeibekwe, 22; Ndubuisi Kaliaozor, 20; Ugoji Chibuzor, 19 and Elochukwu Anyaoke, 29.

On June 1, at about 1:30p.m., following a distress call, Police operatives attached to Neni Division in collaboration with vigilance group arrested four robbery suspects.

“The suspects specialise in snatching motorcycles along Nri-Neni axis.

“The suspects were arrested in their hideout inside the bush at Nri by Neni after allegedly robbing one Nnamdi Ebegbe of his Top Star motorcycle with registration number NSK 426 QJ,” he said in a statement.

Mohammed said the hoodlums also snatched a phone and an unspecified amount of money from the victim after chopping part of his right ear with a knife.

The police spokesman said one cutlass, the motorcycle and a phone belonging to the victim were recovered from the suspects.

According to him, the case is under investigation after which the suspects will be charged to court.

He reiterated the warning by the state Commissioner of Police, Mr John Abang, that motorcycle and tricycle operators should be wary of activities of such syndicates, so as not to fall victim.


Edited By: Ifeyinwa Okonkwo/Salif Atojoko (NAN)

Continue Reading

Metro

Autocrash: Commercial motorcyclist dies in Anambra

Published

on

The Anambra State Sector Commander of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), Mr Andrew Kumapayi, on Monday, confirmed the death of a commercial motorcyclist at Enugu-Ugwu, along Awka-Onitsha old road.

Kumapayi, who confirmed the incident in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria in Awka, said the motorcyclist was hit by a Toyota Camry car.

The commander said the accident, which occurred at about 9.32 a.m. was caused by speeding and distraction.

“The crash involved a purple coloured Toyota Camry marked KPP-979 PJ and a blue coloured commercial motorcycle with registration number UX 28-JJT.

“A total of three adult males were involved in the crash; the driver of the Camry, the motorcyclist, who lost his life and a passenger, who sustained some degree of injury.

“The motorcyclist, who was identified as Okafor Chibuzor, 26, was confirmed dead by doctors at Zion Hospital, where they were rushed to by some good Samaritans before the arrival of the FRSC rescue team.

“His corpse has been deposited at the hospital morgue while the driver of the Toyota Camry has been handed over to the police for further investigation,” he said.

Kumapayi said that the clearing of obstruction was going on at the scene of the crash to ensure free flow of traffic.

He warned motorists against driving above recommended speed limit and urged them to drive with maximum concentration devoid of any form of distraction.


Edited By: Tayo Ikujuni/Yemi Idris-Aduloju (NAN)

Continue Reading

Contact US: editor @nnn.com.ng, nnnnews247 @gmail.com

Read Also