The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), Anambra Command, on Thursday said it impounded 41 unregistered motorcycles and tricycles on its first day of the nationwide clampdown.
The Sector Commander, Mr Andrew Kumapayi, told the Nigeria News Agency in Awka, that the corps impounded 21 tricycles and 20 motorcycles.
reports that the Corps Marshal of the FRSC, Dr Boboye Oyeyemi, had ordered a nationwide clampdown on motorcycles and tricycles without number plates.
The enforcement date was shifted from Aug.1 to Oct. 2 to ensure adequate sensitisation of the public ahead of the exercise.
Kumapayi said: “The clampdown which commenced yesterday, is aimed at ensuring security of lives and properties of the citizens and reducing the rate of crime.
“The focus of the enforcement is on number plates (Vehicle Registration) and the rider’s licence.
“Motorcycles and tricycles without number plates are believed not to be captured in the National Drivers and Vehicle database, hence, in the event of a crash or crime, they cannot be traced.
“Yesterday, we impounded 41 bikes and tricycles during the ongoing enforcement across the state and we will continue today until we have achieved total compliance.”
Kumapayi said that the FRSC carried out the enforcement in collaboration with the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) and The Anambra State Traffic Management Agency (ATMA).
The sector commander charged the combined team to be civil and exhibit a high level of professionalism while dealing with the operators of tricycles and the riders of motor cycles.
Edited by Edith Bolokor/Peter Dada
- Willian confirms exit from Chelsea after 7 years
- Anglican Bishop urges govts to save SMEs from collapse
- For Europe’s “super clubs”, UEFA Champions League determines all
- YYA sues for peace in Ondo Assembly, condoles with Ogun over Kashamu
- Ilorin communities appeal to Gov. AbdulRazaq over damaged culvert
- NPFL 2019/2020 season: Rivers United still insisting they finished second, not third
- Imo Assembly restates commitment to local production through effective legislation
- CAN President urges FG to overhaul security apparatus
- Osun: Police dismiss inspector for allegedly brutalising tailor, causing death
- Nimet predicts cloudy, thundery weather activities Monday to Wednesday