Anti-graft: Stepson of former Malaysian PM Najib arrested
Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) head Latheefa Koya confirmed Riza’s arrest.
He added that he will be brought to court to face charges on Friday under the country’s Anti-Money Laundering, Anti-Terrorism Financing and Proceeds of Unlawful Activities Act 2001.
Riza, who is a film producer, was alleged to have received several hundred million U.S. dollars siphoned from state investment fund I Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) to finance films including The Wolf of Wall Street.
He is also alleged to have used part of the funds to purchase several properties in the United States.
Najib is on trial for dozens of corruption charges involving billions of ringgit from 1MDB while his wife Rosmah Mansor is also facing multiple charges.
Several other top members of the former ruling party United Malays National Organisation (UMNO) have also been slapped with numerous corruption charges after losing power in the country’s national polls in May 2018.
- U.S. House speaker says George Floyd “murdered” at hands of police
- Court acquits man charged with sexually assaulting neighbour’s child
- U.S. blueberry growers see huge opportunity in China
- El-Rufai, others laud Amaechi’s selfless service at 55
- Jordan reiterates rejection of Israeli annexation of Palestinian territories
- COVID-19: Abia records three new confirmed cases, total number rises to 10
- COVID-19: Nigerian-British bilateral relationship remains strong – envoy
- Stakeholders urge Enugu Assembly to review state urban, regional plan law
- Fire rips through crowded Cameroon prison
- Zamfara: Police partner ex bandits, rescue 12 kidnap victims -PPRO
- LG polls: Benue PDP chairman optimistic of victory
- Lagos reinvigorates e-governance, boosts network
- NITDA presents national outsourcing strategy to stakeholders
- Ogun set to resume normal business, eases lockdown
- Northern Governors congratulate Masari @70
- Austria to pay artists 1,000 euros a month to weather Covid-19 crisis
- Akande emerges Chairman of Ibadan LG Properties Company
- Buhari hails Consul-General Godwin Adama at 60
- Navy appoints 110 senior officers
- Labour, Civil Society flays deduction of salaries of workers, pensioners by Kaduna Govt, other States