The All Progressives Congress (APC) on Thursday prayed the Presidential Election Petition Tribunal to strike out Atiku Abubakar’s petition against President Muhammadu Buhari’s re-election because he is not a Nigerian by birth.
Abubakar, a former vice president, contested the Feb.23 general election on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
The presidential candidate of the PDP and his party approached the tribunal seeking his declaration as the rightful winner of the election.
Mr Lateef Fagbemi, SAN, Counsel to the APC made the call while responding to the petitioners’ motion seeking the striking out of APC’s reply to the petition.
“My Lords, I am opposing this application on the qualification of the first petitioner (Abubakar). I am standing by the proof we have supplied in our reply.
“The candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party in the Feb.23 presidential election was not qualified to contest the election in the first place.
“I therefore, pray the tribunal to strike out the petitioners’ application for lacking in competence and merit,’’ Fagbemi said.
The third respondent (APC) insisted that Abubakar, was not a citizen of Nigeria by birth and ought not to have even been allowed in the first place to contest the election.
Chief Chris Uche, SAN, Counsel for the petitioners while adopting the application, argued that historic records showed that the former vice president was a citizen of Nigeria by birth.
Uche, therefore, urged the panel to discountenance Fagbemi’s submission by granting the application.
The motion filed by the petitioners seeking access to inspect the saver and other election materials used by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) was also heard.
Uche had the tribunal grant the application as doing so would be in the interest of justice and transparency.
NAN reports that the application was vehemently objected to by all the counsel to the respondents.
On his part, Mr Yunus Usman, SAN, Counsel for INEC, averred that the application was dead before arrival, adding that the electoral body did not collect the results of the election through a saver.
“My Lord, the commission did not deploy such technology infrastructure in the last general election,’’ he said.
Chief Wole Olanipekun, SAN, Counsel for Buhari said the application was laughable, adding that the Court of Appeal in Abuja had ruled against similar application brought to it by the same parties.
“We also wanted such information if the technology was used, but our application demanding access to the saver was dismissed. We have attached the enrolled order in our reply,’’ Olanipekun said.
Similarly, Fabgemi, counsel for APC aligned himself to the argument advanced by Usman and Olanipekun, adding, however, that no provisions in the country’s statute books allowed the request made by the petitioners.
The APC had particularly faulted the claim by the petitioners that they obtained the authentic results of the election from a server maintained by INEC showing that they won.
The electoral body on Feb. 27 announced the second respondent (Buhari) of the APC winner of the election scoring 15,191,847 votes to defeat his closest rival, Atiku, with 11,262,978 votes.
However, the PDP in an affidavit claimed that its candidate instead polled a total of 18,356,732 votes defeating Buhari who scored 16,741,430 votes.
Justice Mohammed Garba reserved ruling on the motions.
The judge went ahead to adjourn further proceedings on the petition until June 24.
In another development, a total of nine motions and counter affidavit were adopted and argued in petition the Hope Democratic Party (HDP) and its presidential candidate, Albert Owuru instituted against Buhari’s re-election.
Mr Oliver Eya, Counsel for the petitioners had urged the tribunal to cancel the Feb.23 presidential election on account of alleged deceit by INEC.
Eya explained that shift in the date of the election from Feb.16 was a clear ploy by the commission to encourage electoral fraud.
He also submitted that the petitioners had conducted a nationwide referendum on Feb.16 and won the election.
Eya, therefore, prayed the tribunal to grant the motion and go ahead to also declare his clients as winners of the election.
NAN reports that the application came under heavy fire by counsel to the respondents.
Usman, counsel for INEC said the motion was incompetent for failing to include Vice President Yemi Osinbajo as a party to the suit.
Usman also said that the reasons for the shift in the date of the election was discussed with all stakeholders and approved by them before the commission went ahead to announce it.
NAN reports that Justice Garba adjourned hearing in the petition until June 20.
edited by Sadiya Hamza
- Osimhen’s goal fails to rescue Lille as Marseille close Ligue 1 gap
- La Liga leaders Real Madrid held to draw by late Celta Vigo strike
- FC Porto forward Marega walks off pitch after racist abuse
- NPFL: Nasarawa United beat Jigawa Golden Stars 1-0
- Truck crushes one to death, injures 4 in Abuja
- Insurgency: Buratai promotes 3 soldiers for outstanding performance
- NPFL: Wikki Tourists humiliate Lobi Stars 4-0
- Lacazette ends goal drought as Arsenal crush Newcastle United 4-0
- Sylva calls for calm in Bayelsa
- NPDC emerges best Exploration, Production Company in 2019
- Kebbi BSC outclass Abuja BSC to win maiden Abuja Beach Soccer Tournament
- APC writes INEC, demands fresh governorship election in Bayelsa
- IPPIS: ASUU urges FG to adopt University Transparency/Accountability Solution
- NPFL: Akwa United end Rangers’ unbeaten run with 2-1 win in Enugu
- NPFL: Kano Pillars struggle to slim win over MFM FC
- Bauchi Speaker urges wealthy individuals to assist orphans, vulnerable children in society
- Lagos to launch maiden Eko City Farmers’ Market Feb. 23
- NPFL: Plateau United spank Dakkada FC 2-0
- Super Eagles, Leone Stars to clash in Asaba in 2021 AFCON qualifier, NFF says
- Police nab Aiye confraternity kingpin, “Samora”, in Ikorodu
- Insecurity: Gov. Masari cautions communities against reprisals
- 215 vehicles impounded, 98 people arrested and prosecuted from Ikoyi /VI Clean-Up
- Buhari, Babalakin, others mourn ex-Oyo PS, Adedigba
- Fire destroys 8 shops in Apongbon Market – LASEMA
- Ondo LG poll: Ilaje APC protests alleged imposition of candidate
- N30,000 Pension Increment: Pensioner lauds El-Rufai, urges emulation by FG, others
- Octogenarian with 3 mentally-unstable children seeks Oyo govt’s assistance
- Hit-and-run tipper driver kills 1, injures 1 in Anambra
- Addresing child adoption laws, proliferation of “baby factories” in Nigeria
- Edo Sport Festival ends with 1, 602 medals
- Imo Governorship: Uzodinma asks Supreme Court to dismiss Ihedioha’s motion
- Omoaje emerges National Chairman, as Action Alliance holds national convention
- Domestic violence: Walk away from toxic relationships, Gender activist advises women
- Son double sinks Aston Villa to send Totteham Hotspur fifth
- Ngige urges African Regional Labour Centre to adopt active policies to tackle unemployment
- 2020 UTME: 1.9m register as exercise ends Feb. 17
- Police recover 2 stolen vehicles from alleged car snatcher in Lagos
- Ayonmike, Keswani emerge winners of 10th DOAMF amateur golf tournament
- Ban on fish importation to save Nigeria over $1bn– Agropreneur
- Free medical Surgery: West African College of Surgeons treat 295 patients in Kebbi
- Pastor admonishes Christians to honour parents
- Cleric urges Nigerians to imbibe virtue of continuous thanksgiving
- Avoid leaving electric gadgets on, making calls in kitchen-expert warns
- Northern governors congratulate El-Rufai at 60
- Conquerors Ladies crowned 2020 Ghana Rugby Women's Champions
- Why I decided to stay in Ilorin as up-coming artist – Frequencie
- Revenge killings in Katsina State unacceptable, says President Buhari
- Buhari receives Sheikh Dahiru Bauchi at Aso Rock
- Violence against children impedes socio-economic dev’t – UNICEF
- Laziness, sharp practices not part of African culture, says Coalition
- Immunisation: Turnout excites Abaji Council chairman
- APC: Time for Oshiomhole to go, says party stalwart
- Kano Govt. signs MoU with TCN to boost power supply
- Gov. Sule’s aide cautions residents against dumping refuse along Karu-Abuja highway
- Pipeline vandalism: Abia NSCDC impounds 2 trucks allegedly laden with crude
- Expert suggests regular fruit intake to reduce diseases
- With self-discipline you can succeed in everything – Cleric
- Hard work ahead for SA’s Guinness PRO14 sides
- Alleged NAF killings of over 250 insurgents totally fake – Official
- Supreme Court: Group urges peace, solidarity in Imo
- Gov. Zulum visits Niger Republic, plans repatriation of 120,000 refugees
- 30 clubs jostle for Abdul-Lateef U-20 Football Competition in Oyo
- C/River Govt to revoke land titles of developers encroaching on green areas – Commissioner
- Basketball Africa League: Transcripts of NBA players’ reactions at NBA All-Star 2020 (Saturday February 15, 2020)
- Kebbi Govt deploys 140 officers to evaluate teachers’ performance in primary schools
- Jigawa Govt. initiates drain, culvert projects to control flood
- Vodacom Super Rugby Review – Round 3
- Make godly, good choices in life, cleric advises Christians
- Resident Doctors decry assault on member at Jabi hospital
- Police arrests 21-year-old burglar for stealing 100 religious books in Borno
- Rotary club stages walk against child abuse, social vices in Ilorin
- Gunmen abducted perm. sec in Nasarawa – CP
- Desertification: Jigawa govt to improve nursery centres for enhanced tree seedlings production
- 2019 Army Signals’ WASA: Commander reiterates commitment to battle security challenges
- ‘Be upright, live worthy life of emulation’ – Clergy
- Buhari will not implement anti-poor policies, says BMO
- Buhari congratulates Sheik Dahiru Bauchi on Honorary Doctorate
- Basketball Africa League announces the 12 teams that will compete in Inaugural Season
- Africa: Transcript of NBA Commissioner Adam Silver's Press Conference at NBA All-Star 2020 (Saturday February 15, 2020)
- Okowa felicitates with el-Rufai at 60
- PSG draw 4-4 at Amiens after remarkable comeback
- Klopp sympathises with Guardiola after Manchester City’s European ban
- Twitter says Olympics, IOC accounts hacked
- Mane’s goal breaks Norwich resistance for Liverpool to go 25 points clear
- Edo State Sports Festival: Ikpoba-Oka LG emerge winners with 100 gold medals
- Transporters Day: Nestlé Nigeria meets with top logistics companies
- Honorary doctorate: Nasarawa Speaker rejoices with Sen. Al-Makura
- FULafia Convocation: 29 graduates bag First class degrees
- Expert says regular exercise elongates human life
- Beach Soccer Tournament: Abuja BSC humble Kwara BSC, to face Kebbi BSC in final
- Osinbajo, OBJ, Jonathan, govs attend funeral service of Udom’s father
- Duplantis breaks own pole vault world record
- NBBF referees’ workshop ends in Ilorin
- Monarch seeks more collaboration in fight against cultism
- Late Justice Tom Yakubu laid to rest amidst tears
- NGO calls for communities’ support to fight endemic drug abuse in Nigeria
- Commissioner tasks students on Ogun agric intervention programmes
- Insecurity: Utomi, Nwosu, others call for national dialogue
- Don’t allow pangolin to go into extinction, Expert urges African
- Fire razes 2 buildings at College of Agriculture, Lafia Fire
- Sports Minister pledges better welfare, exposure for athletes
- Pandemonium as Kwara D/Gov scampers at NIPOGA closing ceremony
- EPL: Vydra stunner gives Burnley win at Southampton
- Abuja Beach Soccer: Kebbi thrash Badagry 8-3
- Polio vaccination: Enugu targets 1.05m children
- Bandits kill 30 in 2 Katsina communities — Police
- 22-year-old jumps from Third Mainland Bridge
- Buhari promises to position universities to produce quality graduates
- FG approves N7 bn to support creative industry
- AfCFTA: Nigeria will excel in service delivery
- FRSC reiterates commitment to safety of roads in Kwara
- Ex- Lawmaker felicitates with Sen. Al-Makura over award of FULafia honorary doctorate degree.
- Federal Polytechnic Ado-Ekiti wins 20th NIPOGA games
- Facebook CEO backs regulation of harmful online content
- UNILAG’s N419m research grants “heartwarming” — Official
- Gov. Bello urged to institutionalise reforms, address infrastructure deficit
- Pompeo contradicts Germany’s Steinmeier, says the West is winning
- Bayelsa: Ex-lawmaker tasks NASS on amendment of Electoral Act
- Ondo 2020: APC Unity Group to present consensus candidate for primaries
- Pan-Atlantic varsity seeks reporting for social change, trains 20 journalists
- Bishop Hammawa donates 2 boreholes to Taraba communities
- CSO urges speedy passage of Electoral Reforms Bill
- 15 states participate in Dambe traditional boxing in Yola
- FCTA to domesticate national teacher education policy
- Tinubu praises El-Rufai at 60
- Kaduna attacks: Senator calls for new strategies to tackle security challenges
- Environmentalist, waste manager laud LAWMA for clean Lagos
- Airlines apologise to passengers on flight delays, cancellations
- Gov. Sule urges use of Lafia Incubation Centre
- Presidency warns against inciting protests security chiefs
- Air chief charges 2,079 recruits to be resilient, tough, courageous
- Childhood Cancer Day: Foundation donates cash, advocates early diagnosis, care for children
- Gov. Oyetola congratulates El-Rufai @ 60
- Senate president felicitates with gov. El-Rufai at 60
- Multiple accident claims 7 lives, injures 10 in Ogun
- Police in Delta intercept trucks loaded with alleged stolen, vandalized items
- NGO charges families on improved parenting
- 4 African countries license Ebola vaccine- WHO
- Polio: 1.2m children to be immunised in Adamawa
- Lagos Assembly Commission appoints Lambo as Executive Secretary
- FG partners Ogun govt. on waterborne diseases
- NGO organises hypertension, diabetes screening for Lagos Island residents
- 250 gospel artistes for RCCG’s 9th Marathon Messiah Praise festival
- NFC introduces Masters degree programmes in Film Culture, Archival Studies
- Association lauds FG over dredging of Escravos channel
- Tippy tap transforms our lives for good, says Kebbi community
- Location of 2020 UTME centre excites Kwara community
- Attack on Radio Bayelsa: GM suspends 9 staff as NUJ seeks investigation
- Union insists on helmets to mitigate harm during crashes
- Akpata pledges support to victims of Kano Law School fire
- Economist tasks state govts on comparative advantage to boost their economy
- NGO raises alarm over increasing neglect of elderly
- NGO celebrates Valentine’s Day with senior citizens in Lagos
- NAYES appeals for incorporation in FG’s Community policing initiative in Nasarawa
- Nasarawa youth empowerment outfit appeals for incorporation in FG’s Community policing initiative
- Tariff increment: Ikeja Electric targets N170bn revenue in 2020
- Immunization: Jigawa Council targets 51, 316 children
- Police arrest suspected farm produce thief in Jigawa
- Gov. Ortom mourns late Bishop Adoboh, Catholic Bishop of Katsina-Ala Diocese
- 3 killed, 8 injured in road crash in Anambra -FRSC
- Buhari salutes Nasir el-Rufa’i at 60
- Communities laud FG over Ikot Ekpene Highway construction
- Lagos-Ibadan Rail: LASG to close Adejobi Street in Agege Sunday
- Step up your activities in addressing issues of overloading, Emir urges FRSC
- Wolves held at home by Foxes after VAR rules out goal
- NGO offers gifts to Orphanage to celebrate Valentine’s Day
- Valentine: Agape love, best remedy in promoting unity in the country — Beauty Queen
- Buratai, strategic military leader – Uzodinma
- Intra-African Trade Fair will boost participants’ opportunities – MD
- Oyo govt. to name motor park managers in 33 LGs Monday
- Coronavirus: 46,550 confirmed cases in China as it spreads to Africa
- Kebbi Govt, World Bank to upgrade girls’ schools – Gov. Bagudu
- EFCC strengthens partnership with community, religious leaders to stem corruption
- Oyo govt. to construct new classrooms in two rural schools
- Egypt’s Zamalek win African Super Cup
- Kaduna Govt. reiterates commitment to ensuring safety of children
- NYSC, EFCC pledge to engage corps members more in fight against corruption
- Why okada, tricycle ban should be sustained
- NSCDC nabs woman over alleged illegal sale of LPG in residential area
- Man City banned from European competition for 2 seasons by UEFA
- Insurgency: Cleric urges action on reconstruction of N/East
- Lassa fever: Delta lauds FG’s intervention
- FG plans re-evaluation of Ogoniland clean-up project – Abubakar
- Kaduna procurement authority opens bid for e-procurement platform for 36 states
- PDP’s Diri sworn in as Bayelsa governor, sues for peace
- Marriage Registry celebrates new couples on Valentine’s Day in Badagry
- Okowa congratulates Diri on his inauguration as Bayelsa gov.
- U.S. sanctions Sri Lanka Commander for role in extra-judicial killings
- Gwandu Emir wants FRSC to tackle extortion of drivers
- Algerians keep up protests a year after demonstrations began
- Valentine: NGO distributes school kits to 100 children in Bauchi
- NATO ready to adjust troops in Afghanistan if Taliban reduce violence
- Valentine: Kpakpando Foundation celebrates women with disabilities
- S/Court judgment: Police impose curfew in Bayelsa over violent protests
- Thai villagers turn to court in protest over Mekong dam in Laos
- Mexican president defends stance on femicide as women take to streets
- FRSC commences 2020 fleet operators retreat in Zamfara
- One of Europe’s most wanted traffickers extradited to Romania
- WHO calls Chinese health worker infections ‘sad,’ advocates training
- Edo Agency trains over 500 youths on data science, artificial intelligence