A 21-year-old job applicant, Akeem Alatise, on Friday appeared before an Ogudu Magistrates’ Court in Lagos over alleged theft of a bicycle worth N20,000.
Alatise, who resides at Tolisho St., Ogudu in Ojota, Lagos State, is facing a count charge of stealing, but he pleaded not guilty.
The Prosecutor, Insp. Donjor Perezi, told the court that the defendant committed the offence at 11.20p.m. at No. 31, Ezobi St. in Alapere Ketu, Lagos State.
Perezi said that the bicycle belonged to the complainant, Mr Yusuf Taiwo.
According to the prosecutor, the defendant was caught at the complainant’s residence while trying to escape with the stolen bicycle.
“The defendant was seen riding the bicycle out of the complainant’s compound, and on questioning as to the ownership of the bicycle, he could not give a satisfactory response,” the prosecutor said.
Perezi noted that stealing contravened Section 287 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015.
The Nigeria News Agency reports the section provides for a three-year jail term for the offence.
The Magistrate, Mrs H.B. Mogaji, granted the defendant N50, 000 bail with two sureties in like sum.
Mogaji said that the sureties must be gainfully employed and show evidence of three years’ tax payment to the Lagos State Government.
She adjourned the case until Sept. 10 for mention.
- Eid-el-Maulud: MURIC urges youth to embrace FG’s SIP
- Verdict: Oyo APC lauds Appellate Court, urges calm
- Rotaract Club donates hospital items to Ojodu Lagos PHC
- Niger Govt. reinvigorates school sports to engage youths meaningfully
- Edo Govt. to provide 100,000 hectares of land for oil palm investors
- MSD campaign: Obiano warns immunisation workers against collection of tips
- 2019 AFRIFF: Tanzania Film Board woos Africa movie investors
- Igbo youths celebrate Mamman Daura at 80, felicitate with Muslims on Eid-el-Maulud
- 60% of drugs imported to be manufactured locally – NAFDAC
- Buhari greets ex-Anambra Gov. Virgy Etiaba at 77
- 2019 AFRIFF: Namibia Film Commission seeks collaboration with Nigerian filmmakers
- Delta guber: Appeal Court reserves judgment in Ogboru’ suit
- Court reserves judgment in appeal against Ihedioha’s election
- Edo Special Marshals strategise for optimal efficiency during Yuletide
- Lam Adesina: 120 students benefit N1.2m bursary award
- Imbibe spirit of love, patience, equity, lawmaker advises Muslims
- NAFDAC calls for stiffer punishment for drug traffickers
- Expert urges govt. to fund artificial intelligence research to boost ICT
- Appeal Court judgment: Oyo people’s mandate remains intact – Makinde
- NYSC DG expresses concern over dress code controversy