The biannual Armed Forces Command and Staff College (AFCSC) Sports competition has ended in Jaji, Kaduna State with Team Headquarters and Team Joint Studies emerging joint winners of the one week fiesta.
The two teams each ganered 4 Gold, 4 Silver and 3 Bronze to emerge the overall winners.
They were followed by Team Land Warfare with 3 Gold, 4 Silver and 4 Bronze medals.
Team Air Warfare was third with 3 Gold, 2 Silver, 4 Bronze, while Team Maritime Warfare trailed the log with 2 Gold, 2 Silver and 3 Bronze.
The Nigeria News Agency reports that the four Teams contested for medals in Football, Table Tennis, Basketball, Badminton, Chess, Golf, Tennis, Tug of war, Scrabble, Squash, and Handball.
The Commander, Infantry Corps, Maj.-Gen Steveson Olabanji, in his closing remarks said the competition was part of the college’s role in building capacity of members of the Armed Forces.
Olabanji, who was the Special Guest, said “this sports competition constitutes an integral component of the College’s drive towards developing physical fitness and cohesion through healthy competition among staff and students.”
He commended the college for investing enormous human and financial resources in reconstructing its Sports Complex and renovating other sporting facilities to meet the highest standard.
“This shows the great emphasis which the present Commandant of the College, AVM Lawal Alao places on sports.
“I must, therefore, commend the Commandant in particular for the extensive work and for demonstrating responsive leadership in providing the needed training infrastructure and enabling environment for the AFCSC.”
The commander observed that the standard of the competition has improved considering the high level of sportsmanship and fair play displayed by the competing teams.
” It is in this regard that I urge you to continue on this path and of course improve on your performance during subsequent sports competitions.”
Olabanji also observed that the college authority has sustained the Commandant’s mandatory jogging and walking exercise, which he said was important in
enhancing mental alertness and sound mind.
He congratulated the athletes and their supporters for bringing glamour to the event.
Edited by Maharazu Ahmed
- Tokyo 2020: Olympic Eagles bounce back to reckoning
- Sabre researcher says tourism revenue in Africa Could Increase by 27%
- Police rescue another boy kidnapped in Kano, arrest 3 suspects
- Govt. officials conniving with pipeline vandals must be sanctioned,prosecuted-Lawan
- Obaseki confident of a second term, hinges faith on reforms, policies
- FG to go tough on miners engaging in sharp practices
- Bassa traditional rulers commend army over successes
- CAN President preaches tolerance, mutual respect for national cohesion
- Gov. Yahaya Bello’s re-election will change the fortunes of Kogi— FCT Minister
- Zimbabwe banks start dispensing new bank notes
- Ihedioha commiserates with Imo Muslims over Chief Imam’s death
- OAuGF begins training of staff to improve auditing service delivery in MDAs
- Kogi Election: I-G says Police will be professional
- Dana Air flew 2.7m passengers in 11 years – Official
- 33,686 traffic offenders penalised in Ogun this year — FRSC
- Anglican Primate urges Nigeria to remain hopeful
- Kyari tasks NNPC Retail Ltd on unadulterated products
- Oyo govt. to procure communication equipment worth N178.7m for security agencies
- Ministry pledges to partner with e-waste producers
- Akande, a man of principle, integrity – Lai Mohammed