The Sector 2 Command, Operation Lafiya Dole of the Nigeria Army, Damaturu on Tuesday destroyed nine vehicles loaded with smoked fish seized from smugglers.
The Commander of the Sector, Brig.-Gen. Ibrahim Sallau led the destruction of the contraband in Damaturu.
During the burning of the smoked fish, Sallau said that the vehicles were intercepted at Bukarti in Yunusari Local Government Area of Yobe by troops of 159 Battalion Geidam, on Oct. 4.
He also said the illegal fish smugglers brought the contraband from Diffa in Niger Republic enroute Hadeja in Jigawa, concealed in bags of cornshaft and loaded in nine vehicles.
He said that the command would make it a routine to arrest and destroy all items placed on ban found within its jurisdiction in compliance with the Federal Government directive against smuggling.
Sallau warned all groups and individuals involved in the smuggling of items listed as contraband to desist from such acts. (NAN)
Edited by Jane-Frances Oraka/Ismail Abdulaziz
- Tanker drivers start strike Monday as talks with LASG end in deadlock
- NCDC confirms 437 new COVID-19 case, total of infection hits 46,577
- Apapa will open to traffic in October — LASG
- Halep to decide on United States Open after Prague event
- Gov. Fayemi mourns ex-Ekiti lawmaker, Fakiyesi
- Vettel says Ferrari messed up with nonsensical strategy
- Ekiti Govt paying lip service to healthcare delivery, say striking doctors
- Resumption: Academy wants COVID-19 protocol funds released directly to schools
- Willian confirms exit from Chelsea after 7 years
- Anglican Bishop urges govts to save SMEs from collapse