Brig.-Gen. Abdul Ibrahim, the Acting General Officer Commanding (GOC) 7 Division, says the army has initiated new operational measures to stifle Boko Haram insurgents’ economy.
Ibrahim made the disclosure on Wednesday when he visited frontline troops at Moloi on Maiduguri-Damboa Road.
He disclosed that the army had initiated new tactics to enhance patrols, denied remnants of the insurgents’ freedom of movement and destroyed their sources of money.
Ibrahim said the new campaign strategy would fortify defensive positions and enhance rapid response in the theater of operation.
“We adopted Super Camp concept where we have stronghold positions and reasonable resources to be able to project power.
“There is also Rapid Response (RP) and Strong Rapid Response (SRP), where we have men on wheels to be able to carry out patrols, raids and ambushes.
“We discovered that elements of the terrorists have a kind of mobility because we have a defence in an area, they come and attack hence the need for a change in strategy.
“In spite of security improvement and normalcy in the towns; we still have remnant of the insurgents, with the new concept we shall be able to take the fight to them.
“Our ultimate aim is to force them to surrender and strangulate them because some economy activities are going on,” he said.
Commenting on the visit, Ibrahim said he had visited 211 and 251 Battalions of the 7 Division Garrison and interacted with troops.
The commander called on the people to cooperate with military by providing useful information on suspicious movement and activities in their communities.
The Nigeria News Agency reports that Ibrahim had earlier took over command from the outgoing Commander, Maj.-Gen. Bulama Biu, who was redeployed to the Sector 3, Command of Operation Lafiya Dole, Monguno.
It will be recalled that the army had on Friday destroyed large quantity of fish, hides and four vehicles seized from the insurgents on Maiduguri-Gamboru Road.
Edited by Felix Ajide
Nigerian Army vows to track, deal with terrorists, bandits in Borno, Katsina, Sokoto
The Nigerian Army has vowed to track, capture or eliminate all the terrorists, bandits and their collaborators in Borno, Katsina and Sokoto states.
The Acting Director, Army Public Relations, Col. Sagir Musa, gave the assurance in a statement on Wednesday in Abuja.
Musa said the army authorities was deeply saddened by the unfortunate incident, in which suspected retreating Boko Haram/ISWAP terrorists ambushed and killed innocent women and children in Faduma Koloram village, Gubio Local Government Area of Borno.
He said that the attack was done with the aid of the terrorists’ sleeper cells within communities.
The Army spokesperson said that a large contingent of military personnel had been drafted in the general area to track and apprehend or neutralise the perpetrators.
He added that the authorities had also mandated the Theatre Command Operation Lafiya Dole to enhance security, dominate the area and reassure the affected communities of the army’s commitment to protect them.
According to him, the Nigerian Army equally noted, with great concern, the banditry incidents in some parts of the north western part of the county across Katsina, Sokoto and Zamfara states.
“It has come to our knowledge that some bandits are shifting base and venting their anger on hapless citizens because of the ongoing operations in Katsina State.
“We sympathise with fellow Nigerians and the good people of Borno, Katsina, Sokoto and Zamfara states in particular, on these unfortunate incidents.
“We would like to assure all of our unrelenting effort in engaging with communities to rid our society of any and all remnants of these criminal elements,’’ Musa said.
He further assured that Nigerian army, in conjunction with Nigerian Air Force, other security agencies and the governments of the affected states, would make efforts to clear all known bandits’ hideouts in those states.
He added that more troops were being mobilised as directed by President Muhammadu Buhari.
“We will also like to assure that these types of heinous crimes will not go unpunished and will not be allowed anywhere in our country.
“We further wish to reiterate that the Nigerian Army is committed to investigate the circumstances of these callous attacks by desperate Boko Haram criminals and the bandits on innocent civilians.
“We will ensure that appropriate action is taken to mitigate against any future incidents.
“While thanking Nigerians for their understanding, we implore all to continue to support and cooperate with the troops as they carry out their duties.’’
Edited By: Bola Akingbehin/Abdulfratah Babatunde (NAN)
Insurgency: Buhari meets Chief of Army Staff, Lt Gen Buratai
President Muhammadu Buhari on Monday met behind closed door with Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen. Tukur Buratai, at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the agenda of the meeting between the president and Buratai was unknown as at the time of filing this report.
Buratai had in April relocated to the North-East to coordinate the ongoing war against the Boko Haram and the Islamic State West African Province terrorists by the Nigerian troops.
25 soldiers injured while trying to maintain order in protests in Lebanon’s capital – Army
The Lebanese army said on Sunday that 25 soldiers were injured while trying to maintain order in a protest in Beirut a day earlier, the National News Agency (NNA) reported.
The soldiers were also trying to open the roads that were cut off by protesters and prevent destruction of public and private properties in the Lebanese capital, the army added.
Hundreds of protesters demonstrated on Saturday in downtown Beirut, calling for the overhaul of the Lebanese political system.
They threw stones at security forces and smashed the windows of the shops near the parliament.
Meanwhile, riot police fired tear gas at demonstrators to disperse them.
The Lebanese have been suffering from dire economic circumstances in the past few months after policies by previous governments failed and have led to an accumulated public debt of more than $89 billion.
Edited By: Abdulfatah Babatunde (NAN)
South Korean boyband BTS donates $1 million to Black Lives Matter
Popular South Korean band BTS donated $1 million to Black Lives Matter (BLM) in support of United States protests against police brutality, its music label, Big Hit Entertainment, told Reuters on Sunday.
“We stand against racial discrimination. We condemn violence. You, I and we all have the right to be respected. We will stand together.”
The hashtag went viral among the K-pop group’s fans and started another wave of donations with a new hashtag, MatchAMillion.
The movement encouraged BTS’ fan base, known as ARMY, an acronym for Adorable Representative MC for Youth, to match the $1 million donation the group made.
The rolling, global protests reflect rising anger over police treatment of ethnic minorities, sparked by the May 25 killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis,after a white officer detaining him knelt on his neck.