Connect with us

Agriculture

Army pulls 5 generals out of service

Army

Published

on

Army pulls out 5 generals out of service

Army

By Henry Oladele

Lagos, Dec.  18, 2018 (NNN) The Nigerian Army on Tuesday pulled out two Major Generals and three Brigradier Generals out of service at the Nigerian Army Medical Corps in Lagos.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NNN) reports that the generals that were pulled out are Maj.-Gen. Abimbola
Amusu, Maj.-Gen. Patrick Falola, Brig.-Gen. Folorunsho Jegede, Brig.-Gen. O. Akinyode and Brig.-Gen. M. Robbinson.

The pulling out parade of the five generals was witnessed by top military officers, both serving and retired.

Amusu, in her valedictory remarks, attributed her success to hard work, dedication, commitment to service and divine help.

She admonished serving military personnel to remain focused and resolute, and exhibit total loyalty to constituted authorities.

“Your loyalty to the Federal Republic of Nigeria can best be given through vigilant security consciousness,” she said.

The Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Tukur Buratai, was represented at the event by the Corps Commander Ordinance, Maj.-Gen. Joel Unnigbe. (NNN)

HOB/IKU/WOJ

=======

Edited by Tayo Ikujuni/Wale Ojetimi

Foreign

Libyan gov’t forces kill dozens of eastern-based army soldiers in southern Tripoli

Published

on

By

Libya’s UN-backed government forces said Tuesday that they have killed 48 soldiers of the rival eastern-based army in the south of Tripoli.

“The heavy artillery of the 307 Artillery Battalion destroyed a mortar company of Haftar’s terrorist militias (commander of eastern-based army) in Wadi al-Rabee axis (southern Tripoli),” Mohamed Gonono, spokesman of the UN-backed government’s forces, said in a statement later Tuesday.

“Our brave forces counted 48 bodies of the fleeing terrorists left behind before they escaped from the battlefields,” the statement added.

The spokesman also said that the UN-backed government’s forces has seized eight armed vehicles of the eastern-based army, captured four soldiers, and destroyed 10 military vehicles.

Despite repeated international calls for cease-fire, the eastern-based army and the UN-backed government have been fighting for more than a year over the control of Tripoli, which killed and injured hundreds of civilians and displaced more than 150,000 others.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Rebels attack Sudanese army camp in Darfur

Published

on

By

Rebel groups in Sudan’s Darfur region have attacked a camp of the Sudanese army in western Jebel Marra area, the army said in a statement Tuesday.

“Groups belonging to the Sudan Liberation Movement (SLM) and Al Sahwa Revolutionary Council have attacked our forces in western Jebel Marra area,” the statement noted.

“The attack is a clear violation of the declared cease-fire and an attempt to drag Darfur back to the state of war and security chaos,” it added.

The Sudanese army said it maintains the right of defending its sites and protecting the citizens against terrorist and criminal acts by such groups.

The army also has the right to respond to any aggression and take necessary measures to eliminate threats and prevent recurrence of these terrorist acts, the statement noted.

On Oct. 16 last year, the Sudanese army declared a comprehensive cease-fire in Darfur region.

Armed groups have been fighting the government since 2003.

Since last October, South Sudan’s capital Juba has been hosting peace talks between the Sudan government and armed groups from Darfur, South Kordofan and Blue Nile regions.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Thai army to assist in repatriating more citizens stranded overseas

Published

on

By

Thailand’s Ministry of Defence on Tuesday said it aims to bring back more Thais stranded in other countries, from 400 a day to 500 from June 5.

Spokesman Lt-General Kongcheep Tantawanich said that the Thai government could only allow a maximum of 400 Thai returnees each day into Thailand in May to limit the spread of COVID-19.

However for the month of June, the ministry aims to bring back home more Thai nationals as the Ministry of Public Health has improved the capacity for disease control management.

The health ministry said it is now preparing locations to receive and quarantine more returnees.

This comes after Thai Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said he would like to see more stranded Thais brought back home, Kongcheep said.

Dr Taweesin Visanuyothin, spokesman for the Center for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA), said that since late May, the new cases of COVID-19 were mostly imported, and that protecting 60 million people in Thailand should be priority before allowing Thais stranded overseas to return home.

Tuesday saw one new COVID-19 case in Thailand, bringing cumulative infections in the country to 3,083.

Most new COVID-19 cases earlier were Thai returnees from Saudi Arabia, Qatar, India and Malaysia.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

Olowo assures Nigerian Army of more support

Published

on

Oba Ajibade Gbadegesin Ogunoye III, the Olowo of Owo kingdom, has assured the Nigerian Army of its support in the fight against terrorism, kidnapping, banditry among other security challenges in the country.

The monarch gave this assurance on Tuesday in his palace at Owo when the Brigade Commander, 32 Artillery Brigade,  Brig. Gen. Zakari Abubakar paid a courtesy visit to the palace in Ondo state.

Ogunoye, who lauded the Nigerian army for the success recorded in the ongoing fight against insecurity and other criminal activities in the nation particularly in Ondo state and Owo environs, said it was highly commendable.

The performance of the Nigerian Army in curtailing security challenges in the country under the leadership  of the Chief of Army Staff (COAS) Lt. Gen. Tukur Buratai is highly commendable.

“We will continue to support the military in order to further the course of peace and stability in the nation and Ondo State in  general,” he said.

The monarch, therefore, appreciated the COAS  for his doggedness and leadership quality,  particularly in tackling security challenges across the nation.

Earlier, the Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen. Tukur Buratai, who presented the letter of appreciation for projecting the Nigerian Army in good light to the monarch, said Ogunoye had helped security agency to tackle criminality in the state.

Buratai, who was represented by Brig. Gen. Zakari Abubakar, Commander of 32 Artillery Brigade in Ondo State, promised that the Nigerian Army would not relent in carrying out their constitutional role of protecting  lives and property of citizens.

Oba Ajibade Gbadegesin has been a lead advocate in projecting the Nigerian army in good light, considering his high profile and high esteem.

“And for also providing credible information to the security agencies in the state to tackle crime in Owo community,” he said.

The top army officer, who said that troops had been deployed to some strategic areas in the state as Arimogija, Owo and Oba Akoko area, said that 24 suspects had been arrested so far within two weeks of operation in the area.


Edited By: Chioma Ugboma/Yemi Idris-Aduloju (NAN)

 

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

Nigerian Army Medical Corps gets new Acting Corps Commander

Published

on

The Nigerian Army Medical Corps gets a new Acting Corps Commander, the News Agency of Nigeria reports.

The handing and taking over ceremony was held on Monday at the Headquarters, Nigerian Army Medical Corps, Bonny Camp cantonment, Lagos.

The ceremony witnessed by Col. S. J. Adama, the outgoing Acting Corps Commander, who handed over to Col. I.B. Solebo.

The new Acting Corps Commander said that his vision was to have a highly regimented, professional and accountable Corps in the delivery of its services.

“You will agree with me that the amount of financial resources devoted to and already expended by the Chief of Army Staff (COAS) on healthcare infrastructure in our medical establishment is enormous.

“The Corps is unparalleled in the recent history of the Nigerian Army. As such, there is no gainsaying that to whom, much is given much is expected.

“By extension, performance, excellence and efficiency in the delivery of prompt and enviable healthcare to our officers, soldiers and their families is therefore not an exception, but the norm henceforth,” he said.

He said that regimentation was the bedrock of military indoctrination and panacea for victory at warfare and success in peacetime administration.

Solebo implored all personnel to reflect on the ethics, customs and tradition of the military and abide strictly by the rules therein, if we are to foster an enviable Corps for the future.

He urged all corps commanders to ensure that all military personnel in their various units engaged in physical activities as stipulated by the Nigerian Army to improve the performance at work.

According to him, to improve the performance at work, a physically fit body and mentally alert mind are essential.

“As such, all commanders are to ensure all military personnel of the Corps in their respective units actively participate in physical activities by way of morning physical training.

“And also evening games as stipulated by the NA except while on duty as the current COVID-19 pandemic settles.

“Participation in this activities are to be reflected in the PER’s of all personnel by their respective directors and commanders.

“All officers and soldiers of the Corps will also work to maintain their body mass index prescribed by the ASA.

“There would be special focus on health care deliver in the North East including the Reference hospital in the AOR.

“With the goal of reinforcing and bringing clinical, and surgical expertise closer to the location of injured amongst troops.

“Such that intervention is faster with the expected effect of further reduction in morbidity and mortality,” he said.

Solebo also said that all medical units would benefit from declaring their average drug usage on a monthly or quarterly basis.

According to him, drug availability on the NHIS in our hospitals and the scourge of fake drugs had become a topical issue.

“All medical units would benefit from declaring their average drug usage on a monthly or quarterly basis. This would aid budgeting and efficient use of primary funds including capitation and fee for service.

“A drive towards centralisation of drug procurement from a few validated sources would be urgently explored, whilst our drug manufacturing unit continue to explore capacity building and expansion to meet the drug consumption need of the NA,” he said.

Solebo, however, thanked the COAS for counting him worthy of steering the affairs of the Corps, saying that all his efforts would be channelled toward swiftly achieving the vision of the COAS.

He also thanked the outgoing Acting Corps Commander on the effort made to reposition the Corps thus far.

Present at the event include all Headquarters Directors, Commandants Nigerian Army School of Medical Science, Chief Medical Director 68 Nigerian Army Reference Hospital Yaba.

The MD, Nigerian Army Drug Manufacturing Company Limited, the Ag Chief Medical Director Military Hospital Port Harcourt, Heads of Departments and Principal staff officers.


Edited By: Edwin Nwachukwu/Felix Ajide (NAN)

 

 

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

Insecurity: Nigerian Army inaugurates ‘Operation Accord’

Published

on

The Special Task Force, Operation Safe Haven (OPSH), maintaining peace in Plateau and part of Kaduna and Bauchi States, on Monday inaugurated a special operation code name ‘Operation Accord.’

 

Inaugurating the operation in Gwantu, Sanga Local Government Area of Kaduna state, Maj. Gen. Chukwuemeka Okonkwo, Commander of the Task Force, said the special operation aimed at address the spate of insecurity within its area of operation

 

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Operation Accord is an ongoing Defence Headquarters operation designed to neutralise and stem down banditry and other forms of insecurity in the North West and North Central zones of the country.

 

 

Okonkwo added that the operation was replicated by OPSH to block infiltration of fleeing bandits and militia groups into its area of operation.

 

He explained that the special operation aimed at identifying bandits and criminal hideouts, would last from till June 30.

 

The commander added that operation accord would facilitate the return of lasting peace within its area of operation, noting that it would also address all emerging security threats.

 

“Operation Accord is today being replicated for synergy of efforts in order to simultaneously conduct same operation within our area of operation from June 1 to 30.

 

“It will also identify bandits and criminal hideouts and neutralise them. The operation will be conducted concurrently with operation WHRL STROKE against banditry within North Central zone.

 

“It is aimed at facilitating the restoration of peace and security across our area of joint operation,” he said

 

Okonkwo assured members of the public that his men would be professional in carrying out the operation, adding that safety of lives and property would be prioritised.

 

“Let me assure members of the public that the military will professionally discharge it’s duties during the operation.

 

“Troops will observe rules of engagement and other best practices for the safety and security of civil populace,” he assured.

 

The Commander called on the general public to avail useful information to the military to enable it achieve the objectives of the operation

 

Okonkwo also cautioned his men against unprofessional practices, noting that one caught would be punished accordingly


Edited By: Ekemini Ladejobi (NAN)

Continue Reading

Health

Buratai lays foundation for construction of Nigeria army reference hospital in Maiduguri

Published

on

The Chief of Army Staff (COAS),Lt. Gen. Tukur Buratai, on Monday laid the foundation for construction of 200-bed-capacity Nigerian Army Reference Hospital in Maiduguri.

Buratai said while commissioning the project that the establishment of the hospital would be of immense benefit, not only to the military, but also to the people of the Northeast.

He said that Nigerian army was committed to ensuring welfare of its personnel  and their families,  including families of deceased colleagues.

“We are gathered here today to give boost to our effort  by providing effective and efficient healthcare services to personnel, their families, as well as the  public within the northeast,”he said.

He explained that the evacuation of personnel  to military reference hospital in Kaduna had often resulted in loss of valuable time, especially in emergency cases, in addition to the stress the  patients went through during movement to access medical care.

“It is on this premise that the Nigerian Army decided to construct the 200 bed capacity hospital to provide tertiary level care to our troops ,as well as their families and the good people of the Northeast,” he said.

The COAS said that the hospital, when completed, would be adequately staffed and equipped to meet international standards..

“Let me use the medium to commend the officers and men of the Nigerian army for their gallantry in their various operations across the country.

“I must say that they have made remarkable progress in fight against ‘Boko Haram,’ISWAP, and other criminal elements in the country.

“I urged our gallant troops to keep it up and remain professional in performing our constitutional responsibilities,” he said.

The COAS urged relevant stakeholders to support the initiative to enable speedy completion of the projects.

Buratai commended President Muhammadu Buhari for his continued support to the Nigerian Army and Gov. Babagana  Zulum of Borno for approving  the land for siting of the project.

In his remarks,  Zulum said that establishment of the hospital would boost the health care requirements and welfare of troops and their families.

Represented by his Chief Of Staff, Alhaji Babagana Wakil,  Zulum said  the laudable project would not only meet the health needs of the troops but also that of members of the  public.

“It  will  also serve as a morale booster,as well as strengthen the civil-military relationship and add value to the development of the northeast,” he said.


Edited By: Chioma Ugboma (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Egypt’s army kills 19 “terrorists” in restive North Sinai

Published

on

By

Egyptian armed forces killed 19 “terrorists” in the country’s restive North Sinai province, a military spokesperson said on Sunday.

The forces obtained intelligence information about a number of terrorists hiding in several hideouts in Bir al-Abd, Sheikh Zuwayed and Rafah cities of North Sinai, military spokesman Tamer al-Refai said in a statement.

The army troops carried out two raids on these hotbeds, killing three terrorists who had automatic rifles, the spokesman said.

Grenades and RPG rockets have been seized, al-Refai said, adding that five explosive devices that were planted to target the armed forces were detonated.

Al-Refai revealed that 16 other terrorists were also killed in several airstrikes in North Sinai, adding that two four-wheel drive vehicles and a warehouse of explosive devices were destroyed in the air raids.

The spokesman pointed out that two officers and two soldiers were killed or injured during these operations.

He did not mention when these military operations took place.

Egypt has been fighting a wave of terrorist activities that killed hundreds of policemen, soldiers and civilians since the ouster of former Islamist President Mohamed Morsi in July 2013.

Most terrorist attacks in Egypt over the past few years were claimed by a Sinai-based group loyal to the Islamic State regional terrorist group.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Sudan summons Ethiopian charge d’affaires in protest over army-backed cross-border attack

Published

on

By

The Sudanese foreign ministry on Saturday summoned the Ethiopian charge d’affaires in the capital Khartoum in protest over a cross-border attack by Ethiopian militias on eastern Sudan.

The attack was “backed by the Ethiopian army” and killed a Sudanese army officer and injured a number of soldiers as well as civilians including children, according to a ministry statement.

The “sinful” attack came “at a time when preparations were underway in Khartoum to hold the second meeting of the high-level joint committee on border issues,” the statement noted.

This is the first time that Sudan accuses the Ethiopian army of supporting the country’s militias in attacking the Sudanese territories.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Contact US: editor @nnn.com.ng, nnnnews247 @gmail.com

Read Also