Connect with us

Sport

Arsenal forward Martinelli signs new long-term deal

Published

on

Arsenal forward Martinelli signs new long-term deal


Arsenal’s Brazil Under-23 striker, Gabriel Martinelli, has signed a new long-term contract at the Premier League club.

The news comes 48 hours after a fellow teenager, Bukayo Saka, 18, also agreed a new long-term deal with the Gunners.

The 19 year old Martinelli, who penned his new contract exactly a year after joining Arsenal, has scored 10 goals in 26 games for the club since moving from Brazilian side Ituano last year.

He has been sidelined for the rest of the season after suffering a knee injury in training which required surgery.

“I am very happy that Gabi has signed a new contract with us.

“He is a very talented young player and he has impressed us with his performances, attitude and work-rate.

“We are looking forward to getting him back to full fitness and to watching his development at our club,’’ Manager Mikel Arteta told the club website

Martinelli is the first teenager to score 10 goals in a season for Arsenal since Nicolas Anelka over 20 years ago.

Edited By: Abdulfatah Babatunde (NAN)

Georgina Bode: is a graduate and a professionally trained journalist, with experience in national news reporting/editing and verification at the News Agency of Nigeria. NNN is a Nigerian online news portal that publishes breaking news in Nigeria, and across the world. Our journalists are honest, fair, accurate, thorough and courageous in gathering, reporting and interpreting news in the best interest of the public, because truth is the cornerstone of journalism and they strive diligently to ascertain the truth in every news report. Contact: editor[at]nnn.com.ng

Sport

Liverpool’s title win a ‘gift that keeps on giving’, says owner Henry

Published

on


Nearly 10 years after Fenway Sports Group took over Liverpool, owner John W. Henry said that he could not be prouder of the club after they won their first top flight league title for 30 years.


Liverpool claimed the Premier League title in June with seven games to spare after the season resumed following a three-month suspension due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Under Juergen Klopp, the Anfield club had won their sixth Champions League crown last season but Henry said getting their hands on the league title for a 19th time was the icing on the cake.

“It was a long time coming. “I just want to say (to the supporters) that you’ve waited a long time for this … this really feels sort of like the gift that keeps on giving.

“Every day I get up, it’s front and centre that we won (in) England finally.

“So, that’s my wish for you, that every morning you get up for the next, as long as you can accomplish it, think about what we accomplished this year in Europe, England and I hope you feel as proud as I do,” Henry told the club website

Henry, whose Fenway Sports Group took over Liverpool in October 2010, also praised Klopp for his role in the club’s success.

“I could go on and on about Juergen and how his heart is larger than his frame, how his enthusiasm affects all of us positively every day.

“But I think what’s important is he is determined every day to do the right thing, whether it’s with regard to what happens on the pitch, whether it’s regard to nutrition for the club… and that rubs off,” the 70-year-old American businessman said.

Edited By: Chidinma Agu/Hadiza Mohammed-Aliyu (NAN)

 

Continue Reading

Sport

2020/2021 EPL start date too early for Chelsea, Lampard says

Published

on


Chelsea manager Frank Lampard says starting the new English Premier League (EPL) season on Sept. 12 is too early.


The former England international said his players run the risk of sustaining injuries, given the short turnaround between campaigns.

Chelsea trail Bayern Munich 3-0 heading into the second leg of their UEFA Champions League last 16 tie on Saturday.

Even if they fail to overcome the deficit, Lampard’s side will have little over a month to recover before the new season begins.

“I am guessing we will be told when we start and that will be dependent on how we go against Bayern Munich,” Lampard said.

“It is not ideal if we carry on against Bayern Munich —- the players need to be given a break to play at the level and the quality product that the Premier League is.

“Even in a worst-case scenario, we don’t go through against Bayern Munich, the 12th (Sept. 12) feels too early for me for the players to start playing again.”

Cesar Azpilicueta, Christian Pulisic and Pedro picked up injuries during Chelsea’s 2-1 defeat by Arsenal in the FA Cup final and Lampard fears other players could meet a similar fate.

“The players need a break. That is why we have pulled two hamstrings and had players pull out of the game before this. I will like to think the Premier League will look seriously at that,” he said.

(
Edited By: Olawale Alabi) (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Fires on the rise in Brazil’s Amazon despite ban

Published

on


In spite of a ban, the number of fires in Brazil’s Amazon region continues to rise, according to official figures released Saturday.


In the nine Brazilian states bordering the Amazon basin, the number of fires rose by more than 20 per cent in July compared to the same month last year, data released by the National Institute for Space Research Inpe revealed.

According to this, 6,804 fires were registered in July this year, against 5,318 in July 2019.

Officials fear that 2020 could be even worse for the rainforest in Brazil.

On Thursday alone, satellites spotted 1,007 fires in the Amazon, for what Greenpeace Brazil called a negative 15-year record for a July day.

Greenpeace activist Romulo Batista said that the official decree prohibiting fires would not work unless there is more surveillance in the field.

In mid-July, Environment Minister Ricardo Salles and President Jair Bolsonaro banned the burning of land in the Amazon region and in the Pantanal, the largest swamp area in the world, for 120 days.

Bolsonaro, a right-wing populist, is a supporter of the economic exploitation of the Amazon.

He was heavily criticised for the devastating fires in the Amazon region last year.

He is accused of accepting the destruction in order to open up new areas for agriculture, animal husbandry, and mining.

Edited By: Emmanuel Yashim (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Bolsonaro ignores safety measures, shaking hands with crowd

Published

on



Bolsonaro ignores safety measures, shaking hands with crowd

Rio de Janeiro  Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro on Friday again ignored some of the safety measures recommended for preventing the spread of Covid-19, shaking hands with supporters during a visit to the southern city of Bage, local media reported.

Bolsonaro was visiting the city six days after he had announced his recovery from Covid-19 in the country with the world’s second-largest numbers of infections and deaths from the virus.

The president wore a face mask, but allowed supporters to throng around him on arrival, according to news portal G1.

He displayed a box of the drug hydroxychloroquine, which he has said he took for his Covid-19 infection, though there is little scientific proof of its effectiveness.

Bolsonaro, who has downplayed the severity of the pandemic, maintained during his two-week infection that he was in good health.

But on Thursday, he said he had taken a blood test and “felt a little weak” the previous day.

He also said he was on antibiotics for “a bit of infection” and could have “mould” in a lung.

Bolsonaro’s wife Michelle on Thursday also tested positive for Covid-19. The president initially called the pandemic “a little flu” and has advocated keeping the economy open.

After he received a positive test result for the disease on July 7, Bolsonaro worked from his residence, but was also seen moving around the area and talking to people without a face mask.

During a visit to the north-east on Thursday, he faced a crowd without a mask.

Brazil has confirmed more than 2.6 million novel coronavirus infections and over 91,000 deaths, coming second only to the United States.

Continue Reading

Contact US: editor @nnn.com.ng, nnnnews247 @gmail.com

COVID-19 Update in Nigeria – NCDC Coronavirus Records VIDEO: Hydroxychloroquine is a CURE for COVID-19, Dr Stella Immanuel insists Robogarden set to empower education stakeholders on coding technology Gov. Sule condemns killing of journalist, others in Nasarawa state Opposition lawmakers leading anti-corruption investigations says Elumelu Edo 2020: Nothing unusual about lawmakers backing candidates of their choice – Edo speaker Man, 18, docked for allegedly smoking Indian hemp publicly  Kaduna State maternity, paternity leave bill to be ready by end of 2020- El’Rufai’s wife Risks of COVID-19 infection through breastfeeding negligible — WHO Zamfara Govt directs schools to resume on August 9 NSE: Trading sustains positive trend, up by 0.31% 30 stranded Nigerians in Lebanon rescued, among 150 awaiting evacuation – NIDCOM ILO records universal ratification on Child Labour Convention Flood: FCTA demolishes 102 houses in Gwagwalada 75% of vehicles plying 3rd Mainland Bridge ‘ll still be captured-  FRSC Kaduna govt spends N16 bn on security in 5 years – El-Rufai Nigeria Airforce partners local Engineering coy for improved services High turnout of students as schools resume for exit class in FCT APC working towards having data bank for members – Sen. Ali Intervene in 37-year-old kingship tussle in Ikire, Residents urge Osun govt. EEDC nabs 2 suspected electricity installation vandals Sokoto: BESDA pledges to enrol 300,000 out-of-school children in 4 years Police arraign man, 40, over alleged N162,000 fraud Security Challenges: You must rejig security strategy, Buhari tells Security Chiefs Alleged $3m bribe: Appeal Court dismisses Farouk Lawan’s no-case -submission Pa Fasanmi buried as Fayemi, Akeredolu,Tinubu pay tributes Business woman, man docked over alleged public fighting Plateau PDP set for state congress – Acting chairman COVID-19: Bayelsa schools ready, safe to re-open – Gov. Diri Police arrest 10 suspects, recover arms, ammunition in Enugu Ebonyi govt pledges to promote breastfeeding, provides crèches, jingles Gombe govt. moves to address dearth of agric extension workers Police nab 3 over alleged culpable homicide, 2 for kidnapping in Niger Sexual violence: Mrs Akeredolu pledges to partner stakeholders FG to resume Digital Switch Over roll out – Lai Mohammed Multiple taxes: Petroleum dealers in Anambra threaten shutdown, gives 21 day ultimatum Nasarawa lawmaker condemns killing of former ECDA Secretary 3 men in court over alleged stealing of phones worth N43,000 Edo pensioners happy, no longer wear black, says Shaibu Toddler, 2 others die in Ogun lone accident Schools resumption: We are ready for students — NAPPS 3rd Mainland Bridge closure: NIWA advises Lagos residents to patronise water transport Digital economy: Nigeria must shift focus from certificate to skills – Pantami Kwara Gov congratulates BUA boss at 60 137 Rangers worldwide die in 2020, says International Rangers’ President Edo 2020: APC youths vow to send Obaseki parking LCCI to engage VP Osinbajo in virtual presidential policy dialogue Breastfeeding Week: Lagos First Lady seeks exclusive breastfeeding for child’s growth NUC says 32 universities involved in research to tackle impacts of COVID-19 Oyo launches state-wide initiative against COVID-19 Gov. Ugwuanyi distributes CACOVID palliative in Enugu Gunmen kill journalist in Nasarawa