Arsenal’s top-4 hopes hit in 3-0 defeat at Leicester City
Unai Emery’s side were reduced to 10 men in the first half when defender Ainsley Maitland-Niles received his second booking in the 36th minute for a late challenge on James Maddison.
He had been cautioned earlier for a foul on Ben Chilwell.
Goals from Youri Tielemans and a Jamie Vardy double ensured Arsenal suffered a fourth loss in their last five league games, three of which have now come on the road.
They remain in fifth on 66 points, with top-four rivals Manchester United in sixth place (64 points) playing fourth-placed Chelsea (67) later on Sunday.
Arsenal had goalkeeper Bernd Leno to thank as the German made a string of saves to keep the visitors in the contest.
But he had no chance when Tielemans sneaked past the defence to head home Maddison’s cross in the 59th minute.
Leicester doubled their lead through Vardy who latched on to goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel’s long ball to first hit the crossbar and then head home the rebound with Leno in no-man’s land.
Vardy grabbed another in stoppage time when Ricardo Pereira dribbled past the defence and squared the ball for the English striker who scored his 18th league goal of the season.
Leicester moved up to eighth and now have a chance of finishing seventh, potentially qualifying for the Europa League next season.
- We are working to repair dilapidated NYSC orientation camp road – Ganduje
- Land border closure undermining nation’s economy- ADP chieftain
- Research institute trains 120 farmers on home garden in Kano state
- Kogi guber poll : Wada rounds off campaign, promises to banish poverty
- House of Reps directs c’ttees to address escalating negative impact of crude oil spillage
- Director urges students to take interest in agriculture
- Physiotherapists to support FG on curbing health tourism
- EU slams Turkey for re-arresting prominent journalist Altan
- NGO lauds Pantami’s Digital Economy ideas
- Premier Li stresses workplace safety
- NIMASA donates educational materials to schools
- GIS Day: EEDC launches ‘addressing solution application’ for South-East
- NSE market capitalisation loses N56bn on profit taking
- IOC President arrives Nigeria to rousing welcome
- Company to construct 160 shops in New Haven market, Enugu
- FEC okays additional capital increase for Nigeria at International Reconstruction bank
- Emzor pledges continued support for Lagos Women Run
- Lawmakers raise alarm over irregularities in Zamfara Social Intervention Programme
- Roman Polanski’s new film hits French screens amid controversy
- Zimbabwe bans electric geysers in bid to save power