Ai noted that Assange’s health is “deteriorating” and urged Britain and other European nations to prevent his extradition to the U.S.
Berlin-based Ai said he visited the Belmarsh prison alongside Assange’s father, one day before a British court is scheduled to hold a case management hearing on a U.S. extradition request.
“He is in the prison hospital and his health is deteriorating.
“He is grateful for the support given to him.
“The UK and Europe must defend human rights and stop his extradition to the U.S. where he faces 18 charges and up to 175 years in jail,’’ Ai wrote on Twitter and Instagram.
The U.S. government has accused Assange of conspiring with former U.S. military intelligence analyst Chelsea Manning to leak a trove of classified material in 2010.
He has been held at the prison since police dragged him from the Ecuadorian embassy in London on April 11.
He had spent seven years inside the embassy to avoid arrest.
The British extradition process, which Assange opposes, is expected to take up to one year to resolve.
- FEATURE: Governorship election: Checking violence, disruption in Kogi
- FRSC pledges to enforce rules to curtail road traffic crashes
- Turkey says U.S. agrees to take IS fighter stranded on Greece border
- Dasukigate: EFCC to seek order of court for separate trial for Dauski, co- defendants
- Kidnapped Immigration officers’ recount ordeal, thank Navy
- Idiroko FRSC inaugurates new building to enhance service delivery
- Austrian army dog handler mauled to death by Belgian Shepherds
- Show more interest in cassava cultivation, expert advises farmers
- Livestock transformation policy will boost economic growth-Presidency
- Gov. Obaseki swears in new Health Commissioner
- Police arraign 3 men for allegedly stealing $5,000 from an Egyptian
- Cambodian leader orders release of opposition activists
- Oshodi/Isolo LG begins palliative works on community roads
- Trader in court for allegedly defrauding accommodation seeker
- Applicant docked for allegedly assaulting tricycle driver
- Bayelsa Guber Poll: Court nullifies APC primaries, restrains INEC
- Sokoto Assembly passes Bill on balanced budget, effective resource utilisation
- Lawmaker enrols 165 orphans to schools in Zamfara
- DSS says will release Sowore to appropriate persons
- Britain will not name EU commissioner ahead of election – Official