The president of the court, Mrs Yemisi Ojo, dissolved the union due to irreconcilable differences between the couple.
She ruled that both parties should go their separate ways and they should not harass or disturb the peace of each other.
Ojo awarded the custody of the four children of the union to Alabi for proper upbringing and education but held that the last child should remain temporarily with the petitioner because of his tender age.
She said the respondent would be responsible for the child’s school fees while he would be paying N5,000 for his monthly upkeep.
“The petitioner is granted free access to the children at anytime,” she said.
Earlier, the petitioner, Agbetuyi, 35, hair dresser, told the court that she was not customarily married to the respondent but had four children for him.
She said that she separated from the respondent five years ago due to the maltreatment and incessant assault she received from him while they lived together.
Agbetuyi said despite the fact that she had separated from the respondent, he continued to disturb and harass her.
The mother of four children told the court that she had been responsible for the children’s welfare since she left the respondent.
She prayed the court to dissolve her association with the respondent.
The respondent, Alabi Ijarotimi, 59, a civil servant, denied all the allegations brought against him by the petitioner.
He said the petitioner’s refusal to attend his church and an undue interference of one Chief Olotin, who he suspected was having an affair with her, were the problems of the union .
Ijarotimi told the court that he was responsible for the petitioner’s secondary education, technical school, and hairdressing apprenticeship .
The respondent said he was not in support of the prayer of the petitioner that the court should dissolve their union.
Ijarotimi said he could only be responsible for the children’s school fees but prayed the court to award the custody of the children to him.
- FMC Yenagoa marks 20th anniversary with free medical outreach for host community
- Anambra: Ojukwu varsity inducts 47 doctors, as Obiasor carts home 12 awards
- NNPC set to take measures to curb oil theft
- Gov. Ishaku tasks state governments on Human Rights promotion
- International Human Rights Day: U.S. Consulate urges empowerment of local leaders empowerment to protect citizens rights
- National security: Air Chief assures best training for NAF personnel
- Abuse: Create platforms for students to rate lecturers anonymously- Gender Activist
- DMO clarifies Nigeria’s external debt
- 35 land grabbing cases pending in Lagos courts – attorney-general
- LSFVCB arrests 30 sellers of pirated films
- Don calls for integration of orature into universities curriculum
- Lagos courts to go digital in 2020 — AG
- Anchor Borrowers:CBN tasks cotton farmers on prompt repayment of agric loans
- ICMPD to train 500 teacher-trainers on mainstreaming trafficking in persons into NCE
- College of Insurance partners international organisations to boost status
- Hate speech: NBC urges FG to promote news literacy, professional journalism
- Improve capacity building in medical image analysis, computer vision- Expert
- Jigawa, Kaduna, Delta tops 2018 states budget transparency – Report
- Swedish envoy urges strategic action, awareness creation against gender-based violence
- N80 bn budget for 23 Kaduna LGAs scales 2nd reading
- Nigeria supports global efforts on elimination of Nuclear weapons
- Yuletide: Stop using fake, substandard tyres to avoid road crashes- Olagunju
- NDLEA destroys 11,669 kg of illicit drugs worth N1.65bn in Nasarawa
- British Council presents development grants to women groups in Adamawa
- UN wants Somali youth to promote human rights protection for stability
- Institute solicits FG’s support to provide detailed survey, soil resources mapping
- Boris Johnson under fire as health survey finds many die in emergency wait
- 4 Brigade Troops arrest 5 for suspected murder, armed robbery
- Russian separatists in Ukraine signal support for peace deal
- Minister expresses concern over human trafficking
- Experts advocate mental health therapy for GBV victims
- Yuletide: Oyeyemi warns transport unions against overloading, speeding
- Israel reaffirms commitment to partnering Nigeria on agric technology, entrepreneurship devt
- Promote rule of law over self interest, Oyo Speaker urges lawyers
- Berlin declares emergency in climate
- Emir of Karaye lauds NMA over contribution to community health
- Nigeria Immigration Service Deputy CG, Anene, retires
- SWAN commends Gov. Abdulrazaq over baseball park renovation
- Germany working on defense system to protect airports from drones
- Buhari calls for multilateral approach to combat terrorism
- NECO: EFCC arrests vice-principal, 2 others over exam malpractice in Ilorin
- No reprieve for Hungary in EU grilling over rule of law concerns
- Without convergence, single currency will be catastrophic – ECOWAS Commission President
- Forgive me, Fayose begs aggrieved PDP members
- $22.7 loan request meant for infrastructure- FG
- A’Ibom 2020 budget: Group says N4bn for education “too paltry”
- Katsina state govt. establishes 5 new irrigation schemes
- Sudan: Al-Bashir questioned over 1989 coup that brought him to power
- FG launches N46.83bn agric. scheme in 9 oil producing states
- Zambia gov’t says ready for talks to abolish death penalty