An Ekiti Customary Court sitting in Ikole Ekiti, on Tuesday, dissolved a 10-year-old marriage between one Mrs Odunayo Agbetuyi, and her husband, Alabi for constant assault.
The president of the court, Mrs Yemisi Ojo, dissolved the union due to irreconcilable differences between the couple.
She ruled that both parties should go their separate ways and they should not harass or disturb the peace of each other.
Ojo awarded the custody of the four children of the union to Alabi for proper upbringing and education but held that the last child should remain temporarily with the petitioner because of his tender age.
She said the respondent would be responsible for the child’s school fees while he would be paying N5,000 for his monthly upkeep.
“The petitioner is granted free access to the children at anytime,” she said.
Earlier, the petitioner, Agbetuyi, 35, hair dresser, told the court that she was not customarily married to the respondent but had four children for him.
She said that she separated from the respondent five years ago due to the maltreatment and incessant assault she received from him while they lived together.
Agbetuyi said despite the fact that she had separated from the respondent, he continued to disturb and harass her.
The mother of four children told the court that she had been responsible for the children’s welfare since she left the respondent.
She prayed the court to dissolve her association with the respondent.
The respondent, Alabi Ijarotimi, 59, a civil servant, denied all the allegations brought against him by the petitioner.
He said the petitioner’s refusal to attend his church and an undue interference of one Chief Olotin, who he suspected was having an affair with her, were the problems of the union .
Ijarotimi told the court that he was responsible for the petitioner’s secondary education, technical school, and hairdressing apprenticeship .
The respondent said he was not in support of the prayer of the petitioner that the court should dissolve their union.
Ijarotimi said he could only be responsible for the children’s school fees but prayed the court to award the custody of the children to him.
- A’ Ibom Govt. sensitises 948 flood prone coastal villages
- UAE donates 7.5 tonnes of medical supplies to Nigerian Govt.
- Police arrest human trafficking kingpin in Katsina State
- Lagos-Ibadan Rail to begin operations with 16 trips daily – NRC
- Our borrowings are justified – FG says
- Military airstrike hits bandits’ camp, kills scores in Kaduna forest
- Ondo State governorship election: APC inaugurates national campaign council
- Number of migrants landing in Italy more than doubles in past year
- Sodomy: NAPTIP arrests labourer for luring 12 children in Sokoto
- Council sensitises mothers in Badagry on rape, child abuse