Connect with us

General news

Assault: Imo govt. orders arrest of Okorocha

Published

on

Assault: Imo govt. orders arrest of Okorocha

Imo state government on Thursday ordered a citizen’s arrest against Sen. Rochas Okorocha, over alleged assault on a government official, Mr Jasper Ndubuaku.


The Secretary to State Government (SSG), Mr Uche Onyeaguocha, gave the order after the Chairman of the Recovery of Government Properties, Mr Jasper Ndubuaku, was allegedly assaulted at Okorocha’s residence.

Onyeaguocha said that the state had also placed Okorocha on security watch and urged Imo citizens to arrest him and alert the government whenever they found him in the state.

Nigeria News Agency reports that a video, trending online on Thursday, captured some thugs beating Ndubuaku at Okorocha’s residence on Spibatt Avenue, Owerri.

The Commissioner of Police in the state, Rabiu Ladodo, and SSG confirmed the incident to newsmen at a joint news briefing in Owerri.

They announced that a citizen’s arrest had been declared on Okorocha over the incident.

They claimed that Okorocha hired thugs to attack Ndubuaku, who doubles as Special Adviser to Gov. Emeka Ihedioha on Security matters.

They said that the Senator representing Imo West would be arrested and prosecuted anytime he entered the state.

reports that the incident was happening barely 24 hours after traditional rulers in the state issued a stern warning to Okorocha against disrupting the activities of the recovery team.

The commissioner of police said that police would investigate the senator’s involvement in the matter.

Narrating his ordeal to , Ndubuaku alleged that he was beaten at Okorocha’s residence and thrown into a gutter by some thugs.

He further alleged that he was first held hostage for some hours by the thugs in the presence of security men attached to Okorocha’s residence.

He said that the recovery team obtained a court order to search Okorocha’s house.

“We got a court order to recover stolen properties kept in Okorocha’s house and when we got to his house on Thursday, armed thugs attacked us.

“There are twenty government vehicles in his house, four Speed Boats, one movable Crain and generator sets, which we went to recover before the incident.

“We will not give up the battle, we will go back to his house because the property belongs to Imo government,” Ndubuaku said.

Relating to the government’s order, Mr Sam Onwuemeodo, the Special Assistant on Media to Okorocha, said the recovery committee was attacked by the former governor’s sympathisers and passersby.

He said that the recovery team went to Okorocha’s house without a court order, adding that they invaded Okorocha’s residence with no fewer than 50 thugs.

 

 

 

 

Ikechukwu Iweajunwa: is a graduate and a professionally trained journalist, with experience in national news reporting/editing and verification at the News Agency of Nigeria. NNN is a Nigerian online news portal that publishes breaking news in Nigeria, and across the world. Our journalists are honest, fair, accurate, thorough and courageous in gathering, reporting and interpreting news in the best interest of the public, because truth is the cornerstone of journalism and they strive diligently to ascertain the truth in every news report. Contact: editor[at]nnn.com.ng

General news

Assault: Woman writes IGP, demands N200m compensation

Published

on


Mrs Adetola Abdulazeez, the woman who was assaulted by two police officers enforcing the lockdown directive in Osun, has petitioned the Inspector General of Police Mohammed Adamu, demanding a compensation of N200 million.


The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the woman, a wife and mother of two, was flogged by the policemen on her way to buy drugs for her relatives at a pharmacy in Odo Ori Market in Iwo, Osun, on April 18.

The incident which attracted public outcry, including that of the Oluwo of Iwo and the Osun State Government, also attracted the attention of the IGP who immediately ordered for the officers dismissal.

However, the victim through her lawyer Mr Pelumi Olajengbesi, in a pre-action notice submitted to the IGP on Monday and obtained by NAN, said her client was also demanding an apology for her battered image.

”We commend the swift intervention of the Inspector General of Police and that of other top Nigeria Police Force hierarchy, condemning the unprofessional conduct of the officers involved and the assurance of disciplinary action.

”While we recognise the authority of the Nigeria Police Force in containing the movement of people during this COVID-19 crisis, we believe strongly that same must be done in compliance with the rule of law.

”The video of the disgraceful act meted out on our client has since gone viral on the internet and has ridiculed her publicly, as she was seen being battered like a common thief by men of the Nigeria Police Force.

”We hereby demand that the Nigeria Police Force should address a letter of apology to our client personally showing honest concern and contrition to begin to ameliorate the continuous sadness and depression she continues to suffer.

”That the payment of N200 million be made to our client as general damages for all the pain, trauma, bodily inconveniences and public ridicule amongst others, caused her and her family during this period,” he said.

Olajengbesi, further stated that on behalf of the victim, he was also demanding the immediate prosecution of the officers involved in the criminal act, in the Nigeria Open Court.

He stated that security agents should discharge their duties during the lockdown in line with international best practices and in accordance with the guidelines stipulated by the United Nations.

In his reaction, the Force Public Relation Officer, Frank Mba, told NAN that the police had already dismissed the officers in question and would prosecute them if need be.

Mba also said that the police had yet to see the woman’s petition on the demand of N200 million compensation and an apology letter.

The Nigeria Police Force had on April 24 through its official twitter handle said: “that Inspector Ikuesan Taiwo and Police Constable Abass Ibrahim, captured in a viral video assaulting a woman in Osun State have been tried and found guilty.

”They have been dismissed from the Force. They will be arraigned in court for prosecution.”

Edited By: Chinyere Nwachukwu/Ismail Abdulaziz (NAN)

Continue Reading

Judiciary

Alleged Assault: Court orders substituted service on Oluwo

Published

on


A Chief Magistrates ‘ Court in Osogbo, Osun on Friday ordered that the Oluwo of Iwoland, Oba Abdulrasheed Akanbi, be served with court papers by substituted means.


Magistrate Olusegun Ayilara also ordered the Monarch to appear in Court personally on April 3 in order to defend the alleged suit brought against him.

Nigeria News Agency reports that Agbowu of Ogbaagba, Oba Dhikrulahi Akinropo, had approached the court on quasi criminal application, alleging that Oluwo assaulted him by punching him during a peace meeting at the office of Assistant Inspector General of Police, AIG Zone 11, on February 14, 2020.

The Applicant Counsel, Mr Soji Oyetayo, had prayed the court to issue a bench warrant against the Monarch to enable the police to bring him to court.

In his response, the defense counsel, Mr Tiamiyu Adegboyega , had opposed the application of the applicant counsel, saying his client was served two days ago and was not personally served as required by law.

The Magistrate, however, ordered that the notice be served on the monarch personally or in the alternative, the bailiff should paste it at a conspicuous place in his palace in Iwo.

The case was adjourned until April 3 for hearing in the application.

Edited By: Sadiya Hamza
(NAN)

Continue Reading

Judiciary

2 face trial for assaulting aunt

Published

on


The Police in Lagos on Friday charged two men, Emmanuel Udeme and John Samson, before an Ojo Magistrates’ Court in Lagos, for allegedly beating up their Aunt.



The duo is standing trial on a two-count charge of conspiracy and assault in which they pleaded not guilty to the charges.


The Prosecutor, Insp. Simon Uche, told the court that the defendants committed the offence on Oct. 13, at the Agric area of Ojo in Lagos.


He said that following a misunderstanding the duo conspired to beat up their Aunty, one Comfort Sunday, who they were staying with, in one room apartment in Ojo.


When given opportunity to speak by the Magistrate, Mr A. A. Adesanya, the defendants denied committing the assault.


They however agreed that the complainant was the rightful owner of the premises and paid the rent.


The Magistrate granted the defendants bail in the sum of N200,000 each, with two sureties each in like sum.


The court ordered that the sureties must show evidence of tax clearance and must be blood relatives of the defendants.


He adjourned the case until Dec. 11, for mention.


The offences for which the defendants were changed contravened the provisions of Sections 170 and 409 of the Criminal Laws of Lagos State, 2011. (NAN)


UNS/COO/MST


Edited by Cecilia Odey/Muhammad Suleiman Tola

Continue Reading

Judiciary

Man, 28, docked over alleged assault, theft

Published

on


A 28-year-old man, Rasheed Lawal, was on Tuesday brought before an Ebute Meta Chief Magistrates’ Court in Lagos for allegedly assaulting three men and stealing properties worth N300,000 from them.
Lawal, whose address was not provided in court, is facing a three-count charge of conspiracy, assault occasioning harm and stealing.
He, however, pleaded not guilty to the charges.
The Prosecutor, Insp. Mariam Dauda, told the court that the defendant committed the offences on Sept. 4, at 10 p.m. on Shobodu St., Iganmu area of Lagos.
Dauda said that the defendant, along with his accomplice who is still at large, assaulted the complainants; Mr Obafemi Awobajo, Mr Benjamin Okafor and Mr Ndubuisi Okeke.
She said that Lawal stole a wristwatch valued at N25,000, a wallet which contained cash of N25,000 and a HP laptop valued at N250,000; all valued at N300,000 from the three victims.
The offences contravened Sections 411, 173 and 287 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015(Revised).
The Nigeria News Agency reports that Sections 287 and 173 both stipulates a three-year jail term each for the offences of assault occasioning harm and stealing, while Section 411 carries two years imprisonment for conspiracy.
The Chief Magistrate, Mrs A.O. Ajibade, granted the defendant bail in the sum of N50,000 with two sureties in like sum.
She said that the sureties must reside within the court’s jurisdiction and be gainfully employed, with addresses verified by the court.
Ajibade adjourned the case to Oct. 2 for mention.
PAI/NNO/MST
Edited by Nick Nicholas/Muhammad Suleiman Tola


Continue Reading

Contact US: editor @nnn.com.ng, nnnnews247 @gmail.com

COVID-19 Update in Nigeria – NCDC Coronavirus Records VIDEO: Hydroxychloroquine is a CURE for COVID-19, Dr Stella Immanuel insists MNJTF assures surrendered Boko Haram terrorists of humane treatment 95% of students in exit classes resume in FCT   Obaseki’s administration has restored pride, dignity of Edo people – Shaibu Gov. AbdulRazaq sets up commission of inquiry on Kwara assets Buhari congratulates new NMA President, Prof. Innocent Ujah on election UN, United States commiserate with Lebanon over deadly explosions Manchester City sign Valencia winger on 5-year deal Ex-lawmaker emerges Ondo PDP chairman Nadal to skip United States Open due to COVID-19 concerns, as organisers announce entries Bank robbery: Police arrest 3 more suspects in Oyo Food sufficiency: Osun commissioner inaugurates ‘Wave City’ project Fulham back in EPL after Bryan’s extra time double in playoff final Safety Compliance: LASWA impounds engines of 6 erring ferry operators Resumption: Unity schools’ Principals in Lagos assure parents, guardians of students’ safety Police warn private owners against opening schools to all students New York’s health commissioner resigns over COVID-19 handling LASG holds consultative forum for Y2021 Budget, adopts holistic approach to COVID-19 Limit your speed on highways to avoid crashes, FRSC urges motorists Resumption: Lagos schools comply with COVID-19 protocols Robogarden set to empower education stakeholders on coding technology Gov. Sule condemns killing of journalist, others in Nasarawa state Opposition lawmakers leading anti-corruption investigations says Elumelu Edo 2020: Nothing unusual about lawmakers backing candidates of their choice – Edo speaker Man, 18, docked for allegedly smoking Indian hemp publicly  Kaduna State maternity, paternity leave bill to be ready by end of 2020- El’Rufai’s wife Risks of COVID-19 infection through breastfeeding negligible — WHO Zamfara Govt directs schools to resume on August 9 NSE: Trading sustains positive trend, up by 0.31% 30 stranded Nigerians in Lebanon rescued, among 150 awaiting evacuation – NIDCOM ILO records universal ratification on Child Labour Convention Flood: FCTA demolishes 102 houses in Gwagwalada 75% of vehicles plying 3rd Mainland Bridge ‘ll still be captured-  FRSC Kaduna govt spends N16 bn on security in 5 years – El-Rufai Nigeria Airforce partners local Engineering coy for improved services High turnout of students as schools resume for exit class in FCT APC working towards having data bank for members – Sen. Ali Intervene in 37-year-old kingship tussle in Ikire, Residents urge Osun govt. EEDC nabs 2 suspected electricity installation vandals Sokoto: BESDA pledges to enrol 300,000 out-of-school children in 4 years Police arraign man, 40, over alleged N162,000 fraud Security Challenges: You must rejig security strategy, Buhari tells Security Chiefs Alleged $3m bribe: Appeal Court dismisses Farouk Lawan’s no-case -submission Pa Fasanmi buried as Fayemi, Akeredolu,Tinubu pay tributes Business woman, man docked over alleged public fighting Plateau PDP set for state congress – Acting chairman COVID-19: Bayelsa schools ready, safe to re-open – Gov. Diri Police arrest 10 suspects, recover arms, ammunition in Enugu Ebonyi govt pledges to promote breastfeeding, provides crèches, jingles Gombe govt. moves to address dearth of agric extension workers Police nab 3 over alleged culpable homicide, 2 for kidnapping in Niger