The Association of Senior Civil Servants of Nigeria (ASCSN) in the Federal Ministry of Industry, Trade and Investment has called on the Federal Government to ensure speedy implementation of the Discrimination Against Persons With Disabilities Law.
The Chairman of the association, Mr Onwuyai Okonkwo, made the call at a seminar organised for ASCSN members to mark the 2019 union week, on Tuesday in Abuja.
Okonkwo, who noted that the bill was signed into law by President Muhammadu Buhari in January 2019, said that the benefit accruable to people with disabilities should not be delayed.
“There should be no delay on the implementation of the disability law; they are human beings like every other person and they must be carried along and given their pride of place.
“In every disability, there is ability; privilege must be given to them to test the ability in them.
“Government should hasten the implementation of the bill and bring them along. They are educated also and some of them could even do more than the able ones,” he added.
Okonkwo also called on Nigerian workers, who were eagerly waiting for the benefits of the new minimum wage to be patient, adding that the benefit would soon start to materialise.
He commended the organised labour for putting up a good fight to achieve the feat on the issue of the new minimum wage.
Okonkwo, however, pointed out that minimum wage should be reviewed every five years.
Mr Godson Ogbuji, an Assistant Director with the Federal Ministry of Labour and Employment, while delivering a lecture, urged the workers to always settle issues amicably with the management.
Speaking on the topic: “Understanding the Principles of Volunteerism and the Imperative of Jurisdictional Scope of the Union”, Ogbuji urged workers to learn more of what unionism was all about.
“You must understand what is legal and what is unlawful within the union,’’ he said.
He added that union members must always work in one accord to make the desired progress.
Edited by ‘Wale Sadeeq
Trump claims he cancelled weekend golfing to stop anarchists
United States President Donald Trump was meant to spend the weekend at his golf course in New Jersey, but the White House on Friday abruptly cancelled the trip.
Trump later tweeted that he was staying in Washington to prevent chaos – apparently referencing attempts to tear down statues of historical figures – even as no major protests are planned.
The country this week broke its own records for the single most daily new infections.
“I was going to go to Bedminster, New Jersey, this weekend, but wanted to stay in Washington, D.C. to make sure LAW & ORDER is enforced.
The arsonists, anarchists, looters, and agitators have been largely stopped,” Trump said.
“I am doing what is necessary to keep our communities safe — and these people will be brought to Justice!,” he added.
Trump later said he signed an executive order that would protect United States monuments, memorials, and statues and promised “long prison terms” for those who committed “lawless acts against our Great Country!”
Destroying federal property, including statues, is already a crime that faces a possible prison sentence of 10 years.
Statues and monuments with racist legacies have been toppled and destroyed by protesters across the country in recent weeks as the nation undergoes a reckoning with its history following the death of George Floyd, a black man, in police custody last month.
Earlier in the week, protesters had tried to tear down statues in Washington, including of former presidents Andrew Jackson and Abraham Lincoln, but were thwarted by police.
Trump has been downplaying concerns over the coronavirus and has pivoted to presenting himself as an old-school tough-on-crime conservative in recent weeks.
Earlier in the day, the Democratic-dominated House of Representatives voted to grant Washington statehood, which would reduce Trump’s control over the federal territory, though the bill will die in the Republican-controlled Senate.
Edited By: Emmanuel Yashim (NAN)
Zango Kataf Killings : Association calls on FG, State, to deploy more security personnel
The Bandiraku Fulbe Youth Association of Nigeria, Kaduna Chapter, on Sunday called on Federal and Kaduna State Governments to deploy more security personnel to Zango Kataf and surrounding communities to control attacks on communities.
The Association’s Chairman, Mr Abbas Julde, made this call in a statement made available to the News Agency of Nigeria in Kaduna.
According to him, Zango Kataf and surrounding communities are still under attack and many families are still trapped in villages, while those taking refuge in various bushes across the local government needs to be rescued.
“We urge the governments and well-meaning Non-Government Organisation to immediately mobilise resources and come to the aid of the victims of the attack.
”We also call on wealthy individuals to provide humanitarian services to displaced individuals, families and those who sustained injuries during the attack.
”Our members should remain calm and law abiding and cooperate with the relevant authorities in order to arrest the situation,” he said.
NAN recalled that the crisis started as a dispute between Atyap and Hausa farmers close to Zango town over a farmland.
The attacks and killings have continued sincd June 11, and many Fulbe communities and families are being subjected to violent attacks, he said.
Julde said: “so far, we have received several distress calls and reports from numerous Fulbe individuals, families and communities recounting their ordeals, losses and deaths in the hands of their attackers.”
While the Association acknowledged the Government and Security agencies efforts to calm the situation and rescue several individuals and families from the jaws of their
attackers, more needed to be done urgently, he added.
“We call on the government to deploy more security personnel to reinforce and compliment the ones already on ground who are apparently overwhelmed due to the
magnitude of the crises on ground.
“And the geographical size of the area coupled with the difficulty involved in accessing certain areas where attacks are still ongoing,” he said.
Edited By: Chidinma Agu/Maharazu Ahmed (NAN)
Kaduna Attacks: Association wants more security deployed to Zangon-Kataf
This is contained in a statement issued to newsmen by Mr Abbas Julde, the association’s Acting Chairman in the state, in Kaduna on Saturday.
He said: “It is with deep sense of mourning that the Bandiraku Fulbe Youth Association of Nigeria, Kaduna state chapter, issues this press statement today over the wanton attacks, killings, maiming and destruction of the innocent lives of its members in many areas of Zangon Kataf local Government Area of Kaduna state day before yesterday which continued yesterday.
“It is on record that the crisis started as a dispute between farmers of Atyab and Hausa extractions close to Zango town over a piece of land.
“We therefore wonder why innocent Fulani pastoralists, women and children are subjected to heinous, deliberate, unprovoked and premeditated attacks.
“The association condemns the attacks in totality, they are totally unprovoked and we view same as premeditated and provocative as previous attacks by some blood sucking disgruntled Atyab youth whose thirst for innocent bloods has since remained well known and noticed, not only in Nigeria but the world over.”
Julde claimed that some youths believed to be blood thirsty attackers were mobilised, brainwashed and sponsored by an association in Southern Kaduna.
While lamenting the recent attack on Fulani, Julde however said the innocent Fulani pastoralists had been living peacefully with their Atyab neighbors for several centuries.
The acting chairman said the present ongoing attacks on Fulani pastoralists in Zangon-Kataf is part of the sponsor’s grand agenda of hate and plot to eliminate all Fulani pastoralists in the entire Southern Kaduna zone.
“Our members in Zangon Kataf have been targeted with violent attacks and killings since 11th June, 2020, which attacks and killing have continued to next day unabated.
“In the process several Fulbe communities and families have been subjected to violent attacks and killings by their attackers and killers who are the Atyab disgruntled youth and their neighbouring conspirators in different villages around Zangon Kataf.
“So far, we have received several distress calls and reports from numerous Fulbe individuals, families and communities recounting their ordeals, losses and deaths in the hands of their attackers since yesterday.
“While the Association acknowledges the efforts of government and security agencies thus far in its effort to calm the situation down and rescue several individuals and families from the jaws of their attackers, more needs to be urgently done,” the statement read in part.
“We call on the government to deploy more security personnel to reinforce and complement the ones already on ground who are apparently overwhelmed due to the magnitude of the crises on ground and the geographical size of the area coupled with the difficulty involved in accessing certain areas where attacks are still ongoing, ” Julde urged.
The acting chairman expressed concern that despite the proactive measures put in place by the Kaduna state government by promptly declaring a 24-hour curfew in the affected local governments of Zangon Kataf and Kauru, the attacks continued.
He said the attacks were launched by brainwashed Atyab youths and their partners in crime against innocent Fulani pastoralists and other muslims in several villages across Zango Kataf local government area.
Julde identified the places of attacks to include Tak-Nje, Angwan Wakili, Mabuhu, Angwan Jaba, Gora and Mate, among others.
“So far, several human lives have been destroyed, varying degrees of injuries inflicted, valuable properties destroyed, houses razed and several men, women and children still missing and unaccounted for.
“At the moment, the association is still trying to compile report of number of human lives lost, those injured and properties destroyed, we will issue another statement in due course,” he said.
Besides, the acting chairman appealed to Zango-Kataf Local Government Council, Kaduna State and Federal Governments to immediately deploy more resources in the area in order to effectively bring the unprovoked attacks under control and to rescue several families that are still trapped in several villages.
He called on members to remain calm, law abiding and cooperate with the relevant authorities in order to arrest the situation.
Julde further urged government and well-meaning Non-Governmental Organisations to immediately mobilise resources, come to the aid of the victims of the attacks and provide humanitarian services to displaced individuals, families and those who sustained injuries during the attacks.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the Kaduna state government had on Thursday imposed a 24-hour curfew in the affected areas to arrest the situation.
Edited By: Muhammad Suleiman Tola (NAN)
Disability Community wants 5% employment in Kaduna state
The Disability Community and relevant stakeholders have advocated for five per cent allocation of employment and social protection interventions to persons with disability in Kaduna State.
They made the demand in a communiqué issued in Kaduna on Friday, at the end of a virtual stakeholder’s engagement with the theme, “Covid-19: Strengthening Social Inclusion and Protection for Persons with Disabilities”.
The meeting was organised, by the Disability Community and the Coalition of Associations for Leadership, Peace, Empowerment and Development (CALPED), in collaboration with other partners.
The communique was signed by Mr Suleiman Abdullazeez, Chairman, Disability Community, Kaduna State, Mr Rilwanu Mohammed, Chairman, Physically Challenged Association.
Other signatories were Risikat Mohammed, Executive Director, Women with Disability Self Reliance Foundation and Mr Yusuf Goje, Head, Leadership, Governance and Advocacy, CALPED.
The stakeholders expressed worries that the issues of disability community were still being addressed as charity by the society instead of a right.
They also pointed out that political, economic, and social discrimination against disability community had continued unabated in spite of the existing laws and policies put in place to discourage discrimination.
The stakeholders also observed that the disability community was not adequately carried along, especially in the planning and formulation of government policies.
According to them, people with disability are only consulted during town-hall meetings, which hinder them from taking ownership of government plans and programmes affecting them.
“Also, releases and cash-backing of budgetary allocation for line items concerning the disability community is grossly inadequate.”
They called on the state government and the state assembly to prioritise issues of persons with disability in the ongoing review of the 2020 budget and ensure timely releases of allocated funds.
They pledged to initiate an advocacy campaign to ensure adequate stakeholders’ engagement to accelerate the passage of the Kaduna State Disability Rights Bill into law.
“If enacted, we will strengthen multi-stakeholder synergy and collaboration to ensure full implementation and regular review of the law.
“We will equally collaborate with media organisations to introduce specialised programmes to specifically advocate for issues affecting the disability community.
“We have also resolved to initiate a network made up of disability community, civil society organisations, media and development partners, to advocate for quality service delivery to the disability community,” they said.
The stakeholder commended the state government for the support so far to persons with disability, particularly the ongoing efforts to mainstream the disability community into the governance process.
They also lauded the newly introduced scholarship scheme for the disability community and ongoing efforts to generate a database of all persons living with disability in the state.
Edited By: Cecilia Odey/Maharazu Ahmed (NAN)