Kickl’s Freedom Party (FPOe) apparent supporters voiced their resentment on social media on Thursday, as the advertising campaigns for both politicians feature the sentence `one who speaks our language’.
“It’s shameful to use an old Kickl slogan,’’ a user named Sophia Bauer wrote on the Facebook page of People’s Party (OeVP) chief Kurz.
The coalition between FPOe and OeVP collapsed in May, when a covert video appeared in which leading FPOe politicians talked about potential media and infrastructure deals with a woman posing as a wealthy Russian donor.
Kurz had won the previous parliamentary election in 2017 with anti-immigration policies that were originally the hallmark of the FPOe.
“After copying FPOe themes, Sebastian Kurz’s advertisers have taken to borrowing FPOe slogans,’’ the OeVP’s far-right rival said in a statement.
Kickl came up with the very similar “the only one who speaks our language’’ already in 2015 for the Vienna city election campaign, the FPOe said.
OeVP party manager Karl Nehammer accused the FPOe of gleaning Kurz’s slogan at a printing company that makes campaign posters.
“Apparently the FPOe liked the slogan so much that they wanted to adopt it,’’ he said.
Ahead of the Sept. 29 election, Kurz leads in polls while the far right and social democrats vie for second place. (dpa/)
- Queens College PTA wants unity schools’ participation in 2020 WASSCE
- Major shake-up in Nigerian Army as 37 Generals redeployed
- Buhari commiserates with Delta fire victims
- Rotary club president pledges more services to humanity
- Transport unions, FRSC sign agreement on Coronavirus safety measures in Kaduna
- Coronavirus: Kwara health workers demand hazard allowance
- Kano Emir re-appoints kingmaker 17-years after he was removed
- Ekiti Govt, CIPM collaborate on capacity devt
- 602 repentant Boko Haram members denounce membership
- United States-based fertiliser coy to establish African branch in Kebbi