Averting flood disaster in coastal communities via dredging River Niger
By Francis Onyeukwu, Nigeria News Agency (NAN)
Combined team of experts from the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), and Anambra State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA), visited coastal communities in Anambra recently to sensitise them on impending flooding in the area this year.
The tour code named: “Early Warning Interactive Sensitisation Meeting for Flood Prone Local Areas,’’ was aimed at enlightening residents of the coastal communities of the impending flooding, predicted to hit more than 12 states, including Anambra.
The visit was as a result of predictions by the Nigeria Metrological Agency (NIMET) and National Hydrological Service Agency (NASA).
It was predicted that heavy rainfalls would be recorded from August ending to September, that would result to the River Niger overflowing its banks, which would eventually lead to flooding of some coastal communities.
The officials visited Ayamelum, Awka North, Anambra East, Anambra West, Ogbaru and Ihiala, where they sensitised leaders of these areas and urged the particulars to transmit what they were taught to their people.
According to them, the purpose of the sensitisation was to avert any death during the flooding.
Chief Paul Odenigbo, Executive Secretary of SEMA, Anambra, recalled that 12 persons lost their lives during the 2018 flooding in Ogbaru Local Government Area.
Odenigbo charged the participants drawn from various coastal communities to ensure they listen attentively and transmit what they were told to their subjects.
Mr Emeka Obinwa, the Executive Assistant to Gov. Willie Obiano on SEMA (Media) who spoke, said that government had mapped out 28 holding centres at Omor Health Centre, Ifite Ogwari Health Centre, Skills Acquisition Centre, Ifite Ogwari, Health Centre, Igbakwu and Health Centre Umueje in Ayamelum.
Other centres are: Fr. Joseph’s Memorial School, Aguleri; Premier Primary School, Umueri; General Hospital, Umueri; St. Augustine Umuoba; Council Secretariat, Otuocha and Unity Primary School, Umuoba.
He said that similar holding centres were sited at Agueke Primary School, Ugbenu, Central School, Ugbenu and Central School, Oba Ofemmili, in Awka North, among others, for would be victims to provide them succour while the disaster lasted.
The SEMA official told participants to assemble their vital documents now and relocate to the holding centres for safety once they notice the flooding.
He said that although the centres might not be the best, but that government set them up as temporary places to ensure that those to be affected get succour.
Obinwa assured that government would provide basic needs at the centres to ensure that displaced persons were taken care of.
Mr Fred Anusim, the Coordinator NEMA, South-East Zone, said there was need for the 21 local government areas in Anambra to set up Local Emergency Management Committees to fast track action on disaster management.
He said the committee would complement the roles of SEMA and NEMA in local areas thereby ensuring prompt response to disasters.
Anusim warned parents against allowing their children to play in the rain, especially in flood prone areas.
“This warning is imperative, especially now that children were on holidays and usually tempted to play in flood waters during the rains.
“Each time it rains and there is flooding, especially in the coastal communities, reptiles move with the flood and you might be attacked if you move in these waters”, he said.
Ekeh explained that floods are natural occurrences where an area that is hitherto normal suddenly becomes submerged in water.
He said flood disaster results from two broad causes: natural phenomena and human factors.
According to him, natural occurrence is due to topography and excessive rainfalls, while human factors, include encroachment on river beds, embankment failures, insufficient storm water drain, narrow streets, blockage of drainages and waterways, among others.
Ekeh said that flooding could lead to loss of lives and property, pollution of environment, disruption of urban services, loss of agricultural products and other socio-economic vulnerabilities, among others.
He stressed the need to constantly watch the rising river levels and relocate to safety to avoid being victims of flooding.
Ekeh said once the coastal areas got wet with intense rain, people should pack their essential documents in portable bags and relocate to safety.
Mr Arinzechukwu Awogu, Transition Committee Chairman, Ogbaru Local Government Area, who spoke, pleaded with the Federal Government to dredge the River Niger as permanent solution to perennial flooding.
Awogu said that 16 communities in the council area, lived on the bank of River Niger.
He said that since the 2012 devastating flooding, the River Niger had continued to overflow its bank every rainy season.
“We gathered that this regular flooding resulting from the overflow of River Niger will continue because of excess sand in the river which requires dredging.
“Since the reason for the yearly flooding has been identified, we appeal to the Federal Government to dredge the River Niger in order to put an end to the problem,” he said.
Awogu said that 12 persons lost their lives due to 2018 flooding in the area and commended SEMA and NEMA teams for the sensitisation visit.
Chief Anthony Achebe, the Senior Special Assistant to the Governor on Fire, Safety and Utilities, reiterated that flooding in the coastal areas would persist except the River Niger was dredged.
Achebe urged farmers to always seek information on weather from SEMA and other relevant agencies to avoid huge losses to flood.
Mr Anthony Nnaama and Chief Kenneth Onyeabor, the Presidents-General of Umumbo and Omor communities, respectively, commended SEMA and NEMA for the visit.
Nnaama said that it would be appreciated if government would give farmers early information ahead of the planting season. “Last year we were affected by flooding and this year our farm is already flooded,” he said.
Other speakers at the event appealed to governments at all levels to find a lasting solution to recurrent flooding in Nigeria.
**If used, please credit the writer as well as Nigeria News Agency (NA N).
- Atletico Madrid one of football’s toughest opponents, Klopp says
- Neymar set to play against Borussia Dortmund, PSG coach says
- Oyo govt. to prosecute illegal motor park operators
- Messi, Hamilton joint winners of Sportsman of the Year at Laureus Awards
- Edo reiterates commitment to fighting against human trafficking
- 53 African varsities converge on Abuja to consolidate ACE impact
- Crisis in childhood HIV treatment in western and central Africa
- New Akwa Ibom NSCDC commandant resumes, advises miscreants to relocate
- 6 persons die in accident in Niger — FRSC
- WACO FA defeat Winco Foam FC to lift FCT FA Cup
- Jigawa bye-election: Musa wins APC Babura/Garki Federal Constituency primary
- FG selects 6 states for pilot Open Schooling Programme
- Aregbesola tasks security agencies on war against terrorism
- Agric revolution: NIRSAL, BOI, others, support agro-industrial processing zones creation
- Engaging untrained teachers in schools worrisome – UNGA President
- Kebbi Govt. integrates 504 Qur’anic schools, enrolls 23, 000 children – Commissioner
- Death sentence: Gov. Matawalle sends delegation to KSA
- Critics blames Britain for inviting China’s Hikvision to security fair
- Katsina Killings: FG’s delegation condole with State Govt., victims
- Kano Govt approves N26m to settle NECO, NBTE exams debt
- Police rescue 1 kidnapped JAMB staff, searching for others
- Police rescue 1 JAMB kidnapped staff, others still being held by captors
- Seme Customs intercepts drugs concealed inside 2 commercial buses
- NNPC, JV partners disburse $360m for Ogoni Clean-up
- FG extols Nigeria-India relations to drive technology devt. in Africa
- NDA will not compromise standards in training cadets – Commandant
- Basketball Africa League (BAL): Transcripts of All Star 2020 Game Players
- Police extend curfew in Bayelsa to Feb. 23
- Bulgarian police stop truck carrying migrants in refrigerated cargo
- Abia govt. begins investigation into Abia Warriors/Enyimba violent clash
- We have technologies that can bring immediate jobs — NBTI DG
- Al-Assad promise to continue onslaught on Idlib, Aleppo countryside
- 5 civilians killed in accidental explosion in Cameroun’s Anglophone region
- Challenger Series Review
- Katsina attack: Gov Masari visits affected villages
- FG ready to collaborate with NDVC to actualise diaspora voting – Osinbajo
- Withdrawal of certificate: KWASU reacts to social media video
- Man, 25, docked for alleged damage to security wire
- Gunmen abduct 2 in Calabar
- Kwara Govt reaffirms commitment to independent Judiciary
- China’s leverage in real economy rises in 2019
- Court turns down lawyer’s plea, orders arrest of ex-Customs boss, Dikko
- Senate President urges more action on school dropouts, unemployment
- FCC to ensure fairness, equity in personnel recruitment among MDAs – Ag. chairman
- Coronavirus: W/Africa region needs $50m to strengthen preparedness- WAHO
- COVID-19: Epidemiologist urges concerted efforts to strengthen preparedness
- CBN pleads for land for 3 coys to build dairy factories in FCT
- CSR: Ikeja Electric donates medical equipment to Ikorodu General Hospital
- Cooperative Society, critical tool to achieving affordable housing – Fashola
- Coca Cola Safe Birth Initiative, Medshare donate $2m equipment to Alimosho General Hospital
- Mission of the Czech Defense and Security Industry to Djibouti and Ethiopia
- FG urges collaboration with stakeholders for Niger Delta development
- WHO says latest Chinese data may point to declining covid-19 spread
- EU pledges $108m for Albania’s post-quake reconstruction
- Pope Francis has done ‘too little’ on sex abuse crisis, victims say
- Singer who plotted to kill Rwanda president found dead in police cell
- ASUU calls for review of existing laws on sexual harassment
- Passengers burnt beyond recognition on Malumfashi-Kafur road in Katsina – FRSC
- Cruise ship cases increase as coronavirus threatens China’s largest political gathering of year
- Seme Customs seizes 235 contraband valued at N91.1m this year
- Taliban claims deal with U.S. to be signed by February
- Oyo govt. inaugurates ex-NURTW boss as chairman of parks disciplinary c’ttee
- SGF advises developers on effects of climate change
- Man, 43 faces trial for allegedly beating policeman on duty
- Traffic Violation: FCTA arraigns 34 offenders
- Karaye Emirate Council restates commitment to curb rape, drug abuse
- FG intensifies health workers’ response to humanitarian crisis
- New Bayelsa Gov. Diri urges Assembly to pass 2020 Budget
- Oyo govt. to revoke 4 road contracts
- INEC to decide resumption date for PVCs collection soon — Okoye
- Rice farmers in Kano seek more earth dams to boost irrigation
- Updated: EU resolves to set up new mission enforcing Libyan arms embargo
- FRSC flags off special intervention patrol in Kwara
- Persistent sell pressure: NSE All-Share Index resumes with 0.67% loss
- Oluwo, Agbowu face-off unfortunate– Osun govt.
- FG builds capacity of youth with disabilities
- NASS is committed to fight insecurity, says Senate President
- Covid-19: ECOWAS ministers of health to strengthen regional preparedness
- Senate calls for mandatory health insurance scheme for Nigerians
- Boxing coach decry lack of financial support by Boxing Federation
- Stakeholders, lawmakers meet over access to clean water, sanitation in Plateau
- FG to establish agro-industrial processing zones to reduce importation, others
- Tailoring: Union official decries power outage
- Kano human rights-friendly state – NHRC
- Rangers International protest Match Day 20 fixture officiating
- Kwara govt. to revoke 5,000 plots of land
- Foreign institutions optimistic on china’s economy, expect strong rebound in 5 months
- Minister tasks Nigerian youths on active participation in politics
- Enugu Govt, US group commence free medical outreach
- Come out of hiding, Shari’a Council dares Shekau
- Amotekun bill passes first reading at Osun Assembly
- NHRC to tackle Sexual Gender based violence in Nigeria
- 200 begin agripreneurship training programme in Lagos
- Bello warns MDAs against contract inflation, project padding
- Lassa fever: Avoid contact with rats, warns Veterinary Surgeon
- Delta Govt begins construction of drainage channels in Uvwie
- Spanish La Liga allow Barca to make emergency striker signing
- NBTI DG inspects incubation facilities in Lafia, Makurdi
- Niger Delta records 416 violence, 1,013 fatality cases in 2019 — NGO
- Israeli researchers develop standalone system to produce water from air in desert areas
- Gunmen kill 24 in attack on Burkina Faso church
- Lagos Correctional Service gets new controller
- PSG have abundant talent even without Neymar, Borussia Dortmund’s coach says
- DSS seeks collaboration of Plateau Assembly to reduce crimes
- Ondo IGR now N2.2 bn monthly- Akeredolu
- FRSC prosecutes 158 traffic offenders in Lagos, Ogun, says Zonal Commander
- Oil Palm company mourns 6 deceased staff in road accident in Edo
- Oil Palm company mourns 6 deceased staff in road accident in Edo
- Agege Sports Competition will positively change youths’ perception- Organiser
- Unearthed ancient human fossils to be shown to public in Myanmar’s central region
- Equatorial Guinea demands France return seized Paris mansion at ICC
- Nigeria Taekwondo Federation hopeful on 2020 Tokyo Olympics qualification
- Facebook warns of risks to innovation, freedom of expression ahead of EU rules
- Free condom distribution in Nigeria declining – UNFPA
- We have surpassed WHO standard on NTD in Gombe-NGO
- His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed receives Ethiopian PM
- CILT calls for road tax system to encourage use of public transportation in Lagos
- Presidency raises alarm over fake news, dismisses reports on Buhari’s 20-day foreign trip
- U.S.-China trade deal will hurt Germany, says world economic institute
- Man, 34, bags 1 year imprisonment for stealing N110,000
- NSE boss, commuters task LASG on early completion of Agege Flyover
- UN envoy condemns use of hunting rifles against Iraqi protesters
- 2 C’River agencies to partner on strategic outdoor advertising
- Association, agency move to produce water resources map
- Disu says Ighalo will surely succeed at Manchester United
- EU ministers agree to new naval mission monitoring Libya arms embargo
- NOA urges Plateau citizens to demand for Open Government Partnership
- Adamawa student union to train members on skill acquisition
- EU suspends sanctions on Zimbabweans, warns of humanitarian crisis
- 9.4m toilets needed to end open defecation annually
- Nasarawa Assembly urges quick release of abducted Perm. Sec.
- FG urges state govts to consider IGR as critical instrument of funding
- Attacks: Ilorin residents seek police assistance
- Nigerian importers running out of business, says IMAN BoT chairman
- Empowering Health Workers on Child Growth Assessment
- I don’t subscribe to removal of security votes- Prof. Okolie
- Iranian accused of violating U.S. sanctions returns home from Germany
- ITF trains 200,000 youths on various skills since inception of NISDP -DG
- Expert says growing climate change causes extended harmattan
- Daycare worker in court for allegedly defiling 21-month-old toddler
- Court insists Wema Bank, officials should appear over alleged contempt
- Why we delayed visit to oil spill site in Brass-NOSDRA
- Pakistan again rejects Afghan accusation of harbouring militants
- No fewer than 22 killed in attack on village in Cameroon, UN says
- Kano LG targets 43,000 children for immunization in February
- No doctor will participate at 5th NMA Games without certificate of medical fitness, LOC says
- Advocate wants regulators to create jingles on health and safety on TV, radio stations
- Airstrikes on Syria’s Aleppo struck two hospitals
- In a meeting with Egyptian Foreign Minister, Edgars Rinkēvičs discusses Latvian-Egyptian cooperation and developments in Libya
- Young parliamentarians task NASS on inclusion of young legislators in committees
- 2023: BMO to support candidate with Nigerian agenda
- UTME: No admissions outside CAPS – Education Minister
- Akeredolu promises to achieve 100% immunisation coverage in Ondo
- Artisan docked for allegedly defrauding client N990,000
- Bangladesh high commission seeks partnership with NIPOST
- Bangladesh seeks partnership with NIPOST
- Safe, Quality medicines: NAFDAC reiterates determination to collaborate with stakeholders
- Delta RIFAN nominates 6,500 farmers for CBN-sponsored dry season farming
- Girls Softball tourney begins in Ibadan with 11 teams
- Abees Academy beat Basic Maracana to finish third in 2019/2020 FCT FA League
- Expert advises young entrepreneurs on digital marketing
- EU hosts donors’ conference for Albania after devastating earthquake
- Taiwan says previous regime possibly behind unsolved murders in 1980
- Thailand seeking to ease losses as virus slows tourism from China
- Strong political party ideology will curb defection – BMO
- 2 men in court for allegedly raping 16-year-old girl
- German economy at risk due to coronavirus – central bank
- WHO-China expert team begins coronavirus field inspections
- Daura LG distributes 100 sacks of maize to cripples, lepers
- Anchor Borrowers Programme : 40,000 rice farmers to benefit in Kano
- Enugu govt to train 120 farmers on cultivation of vetiver grass for erosion control-Official
- Edo 2020: 186 Athletes to represent Adamawa
- Edo NMA calls on FG to tackle insecurity
- 20m Nigerians have kidney diseases – association
- Marine waste clean-up yielding results — LASWA
- Businessman drags hairdresser, mechanic to court over alleged slander
- Traditional Chinese medicine effective in COVID-19 treatment- official
- Gov. El-Rufai presents 24 Jeeps to High Court judges
- Rojenny Stadium ready to host Police Games in Anambra
- EFCC secures 1,266 convictions in 14 months – Magu
- Elton John says he’s ‘deeply upset’ after cutting short NZ concert
- Huawei to make more contribution in 2020 to ICT capacity building in Ethiopia
- NAF destroys ISWAP training camp in Borno
- Expert warns against incessant clicking on links in internet
- Nasarawa monarch tasks parents on girl-child education to curb early marriage
- Africa Energy Forum 2020 to address SDG7 and Impact of Energy Investment
- Cleric urges youths to be agents of positive change
- Cleric urges youths to be agents of positive change
- Man, 31, sentenced to 3 years in prison for stealing cows
- Vaccination will prevent millions of TB cases yearly – Expert
- Association says charcoal is untapped goldmine
- Alleged N32.8bn Pension Fraud: Court grants EFCC leave to amend charge
- Ondo State: Council boss frowns at unwholesome practices at abattoir
- How stable economy can promote reading culture — Association
- Kwara by-election: APC picks younger brother of deceased lawmaker as candidate
- Court places nursing mother on probation for stealing cell phone
- Most parties deregistered are political ambition retailers – BMO
- Attack on Radio Bayelsa: New GM reverses suspension of 9 workers
- Police nab 6 for allegedly burning D-G’s car in Niger
- Alleged unpaid allowamce: Absence of ex-Kogi deputy governor’s witness stalls suit against Gov. bello