, As government intensifies efforts to end activities of bandits in Zamfara, the state’s new Commissioner of Police (CP), Mr Usman Nagogo, has said that he would deploy dialogue, as against fire power, to tackle the trend.
Nagogo made his position known at a press briefing where he formally met with media practitioners in the state.
“The activities of cattle rustlers, armed bandits and kidnappers affect many parts of the country, but the situation appears particularly bad in Zamfara. Here, the criminals are more sophisticated and daring,” he said.
The CP, who chaired the Special Committee on Disarmament and Amnesty set up by former governor Abdulaziz Yari in 2016, when he was then a Deputy Commissioner of Police in the state, recalled that the committee recorded some success before it was disbanded.
“We were able to build some level of trust between the government and the bandits; we opened channels of communication and contact which led to the recovery of 13 to 15 different calibres of arms, including a rocket launcher.
“With the zeal and enthusiasm of the present governor, Bello Matawalle, toward ending the violence, the Police will partner with other sister agencies to rid Zamfara of this security challenge.
“To achieve this goal, more of dialogue, and less use of force, is desirable. In 2016, dialogue was applied and it worked. We shall build on that,” he said.
He hinted that he would adopt the new policing strategy of the Inspector-General of Police, Mr Mohammed Adamu, which is hinged on promoting community participation that would involve traditional rulers and other stakeholders to achieve desired objectives.
The News Agency of Nigeria , reports that the new CP, who holds a Masters Degree in Law, replaces Mr Celestine Okoye, who has been transferred to the Force Headquarters, Abuja.
Edited by Ephraims Sheyin
- Okuomose, Otuadinma win at Best of the Best Taekwondo Championship
- Arsenal’s Tierney to undergo shoulder surgery, out for 3 months
- Club World Cup: Monterrey to face Liverpool after beating Al Sadd
- Runsewe commends NCAA over initial suspension of Turkish Airline
- FRSC Edo Sector gets new Commander
- Group tasks leaders, Nigerians on time consciousness
- Cries about negative impact of border closure sponsored-Sen. Adamu
- Bankers committee earmarks N20bn to maintain national theatre
- Institute calls on govts. to allow INEC conduct local govt. elections
- Kwara Deputy Gov urges OGS old students to give back to Alma Mater
- Presidential aide criticises work done on Calabar-Itu highway by contractor
- Armed Forces College graduates 176 junior officers
- Osinbajo tasks clergy on writing to provide guidance, direction
- Why CBN must transfer Anchor Borrowers Programme to Agric Ministry – Sen. Adamu
- La Liga: Leaders FC Barcelona stumble to draw at Real Sociedad
- Sun Publishing Limited wants Justice Minister’s intervention as EFCC threatens to seal headquarters
- APC remains strong, intact in Zamfara — Yari
- Bournemouth stun Chelsea 1-0 away to end losing streak
- Group advocates women empowerment to check gender-based violence
- Lawmaker condoles with Mimiko, says mother death, great loss to Ondo
- 2 NGOs collaborate to clean up Lagos for healthy environment
- Buhari tasks universities on IGR for sustainable education
- Arts, cultural exchange strengthen relationships between countries – Emirati Artist
- Ismael, Akuso win maiden Ikogosi-Ekiti 10-km race
- CITN confers fellowship on 329, calls for professionalism
- NANS commends Gov. Oyetola for tackling youth unemployment in Osun
- Gov. AbdulRazaq reiterates commitment to Kwara’s socio-economic growth
- Bayern Munich batter Werder Bremen as Borussia Dortmund dominate Mainz
- Akeredolu condoles with Mimiko over mother’s death
- Ogun lawmaker donates equipment to health facilities in constituency
- Inclusive education: Stakeholders urge training of more special teachers
- Ethiopian Airlines to launch 3 weekly flights to Houston Monday
- Shareholders seek more mergers, acquisitions in cement industry
- Golf: U.S. fight back to leave Presidents Cup in the balance
- Salah scores twice as Liverpool sink struggling Watford
- Yuletide: Enugu FRSC seeks collaboration with state traffic agency
- Eko Disco records highest remittance efficiency in Q2, says NERC
- Doctors map out measures to forestall litigations over management of patients’ ailments
- Osinbajo in Ikenne, celebrates Otunba Adesina at 80
- Group wants Nigerians to imbibe waste management culture, recycling
- FG pledges to enhance operations of River Basin Development Authorities in 2020
- Soldiers clean up Ojuelegba axis of Lagos to enhance civilian/military relations
- Enugu hospital turns to pilgrimage ground as residents catch glimpse of quadruplets
- Poor Salary: Kaduna joint tertiary institution unions shelve planned strike
- NIMASA chief urges regular exercise to stay healthy, enhance productivity
- Expert urges Nigerians to imbibe savings culture
- Navy employs weight control mechanism to promote fitness
- Exhibit more political will in tackling nation’s security challenges, Cleric advises FG
- Gospel singer charges youths to start small, be humble
- Yuletide: Curfew, ban of fireworks still effective in Borno -Police