Belarus’ foreign debt totaled 18 billion United States dollars, increasing by 5.3 percent in the first half of 2020, the country’s finance ministry said Friday.
As of July 1, the country’s foreign debt increased by 0.9 billion United States dollars, or 5.3 percent, compared with the level at the beginning of the year, the ministry said.
From January to June, Belarus attracted an external loan of 1.8 billion dollars, spending 786.2 million dollars to repay foreign debt.
As of July 1, domestic public debt amounted to 9.3 billion Belarusian rubles (about 3.8 billion dollars), increasing by 0.23 billion dollars, or 6.4 percent, since the beginning of the year. Meanwhile, Belarus’ state debt amounted to 52.6 billion rubles (about 21.4 billion dollars) and increased by 17.5 percent.
15 countries purchase Russia’s Avifavir COVID-19 medication – Direct Investment Fund
Russia says it is delivering its Avifavir medication against COVID-19 to 15 countries already.
Kirill Dmitriev, the head of the Russian Direct Investment Fund (RDIF), which took part in the creation of the remedy, disclosed this to Russia-24 broadcaster in an interview.
“We can boast great achievements in this area, as the medication has been delivered to over 15 countries,” Dmitriev said.
“This is really important, as there are in fact only two international antiviral drugs that are delivered to a certain number of countries: the United States’ Remdesivir and the Russian Avifavir.
“Ninety per cent of the produced Remdesivir have been purchased by the United States
Earlier on Monday, Kromis — a joint venture of the RDIF and the ChemRar pharmaceutical company — announced it had reached agreement on Avifavir deliveries to South Africa and seven countries in Latin America.
Edited By: Emmanuel Yashim (NAN)
Murray says players need assurance on quarantine issues before United States Open
Former world number one Andy Murray made this disclosure in an interview granted in London.
The competition is due to be played from Aug. 31 to Sept. 13.
The Western & Southern Open, which was relocated from Cincinnati this year because of COVID-19, will also be held in New York from Aug. 20 to 28.
It will serve as a tune-up for the hard court Grand Slam.
The two major clay court events in the lead up to Roland Garros are in Madrid (Sept. 13 to Sept. 20) and Rome (Sept. 20 to Sept. 27).
While Spain does not require mandatory quarantine, Italy will need travelers to quarantine for 14 days if coming from the United States
The USTA has said the organisers are working with relevant authorities to resolve issues.
“My understanding is that it would be sorted before we go to the United States But things can change in the next 10 to 12 days,” Murray said.
“Hopefully before we leave, the players will have the assurances that, when they come back from the United States, they won’t have to quarantine for two weeks.
“If that is the case, and if you do well in the United States Open, you can’t just arrive on the Sunday before the French Open starts on the Monday. That’s not going to work.”
The United States has over 4.68 million confirmed cases of COVID-19 with more than 155,000 deaths.
Murray, a three-times Grand Slam winner, has not played competitively since November due to hip problems.
But he took part in some exhibition events recently with the professional circuit shut.
The 33-year-old said he was willing to take the travel “risk” as he missed playing in big events.
“(With) the situation I’ve been in the last few years, I’ve not had opportunity to play in many Slams. I don’t know how many I’ll have left,” Murray said.
“So, while I’m feeling relatively decent … obviously there is a risk there. But I want to try and play in them and enjoy the biggest events again.”
Edited By: Olawale Alabi) (NAN)
German state premier to support town affected by United States troop withdrawal
The premier of the German state of Rhineland-Palatinate has pledged support to one of the regions affected by the withdrawal of United States troops from Germany.
“Whatever happens (at the military base) in Spangdahlem in the end – and we hope it will be very little – the state will of course support the local council and municipalities with the necessary measures,” Malu Dreyer said on Monday during talks with local officials.
The main aim was to maintain the United States military base in Spangdahlem and for the United States announcement to be reversed, the minister said.
“We are fighting for the site,” Dreyer added.
In the past week, the United States announced it would transfer F-16 fighter jets stationed in the town in the west of Germany to Italy, affecting around half of the 4,000 soldiers living at the air base.
The United States airforce said the base in Spangdahlem would continue to operate despite the troop withdrawal, though plans are not final yet.
Around 11,000 people live at the air base, including relatives.
United States President Donald Trump has announced the United States would withdraw about 12,000 troops stationed in Germany.
Edited By: Emmanuel Yashim (NAN)
Trump furious after Appeal Court overturns Boston bomber death penalty
United States President Donald Trump has flayed an appellate court ruling that overturned the death sentence given to the 2013 Boston Marathon bomber, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.
In a tweet on Sunday, Trump said that hardly had anyone deserved the death penalty than Tsarnaev.
He said the government must push for the death penalty, adding that the country could not let the ruling stand.
“Rarely has anybody deserved the death penalty more than the Boston Bomber, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.
“The court agreed that this was one of the worst domestic terrorist attacks since the 9/11 atrocities.
“Yet the appellate court tossed out the death sentence. So many lives lost and ruined.
“The Federal Government must again seek the death penalty in a do-over of that chapter of the original trial.
“Our country cannot let the appellate decision stand. Also, it is ridiculous that this process is taking so long!,” the tweet read.
Three people died and hundreds of others were injured after Tsarnaev, 27, and his older brother, Tamerlan, detonated homemade bombs along the marathon’s route on April 15, 2013.
Tsarnaev was handed the death penalty in 2015 but he appealed the ruling in 2019 on the ground that the juniors were biased.
In its ruling on July 31, the First United States Circuit Court of Appeals agreed with him, and ordered a retrial of the case.
It said the trial judge should have excluded jurors, who had already concluded that Tsarnaev was guilty.
Prosecutors are now left with two options: to comply with the appellate court ruling or challenge it at the Supreme Court.
Edited By: Silas Nwoha (NAN)