The Borno Election Petitions Tribunal sitting in Abuja on Tuesday dismissed a suit filed by tSen. Mohammed Abba-Aji of the PDP challenging the election of Gov. Kashim Shettima of the APC.
Abba-Aji is challenging the return of Shettima as winner of Borno Central Senatorial seat.
News Agency of Nigeria reports that Abba-Aji, represented the zone between 2003 and 2007.
Also joined in the suit are the APC and the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).
Ruling on the application for withdrawal of the petition filed by Abba-Aji, the tribunal headed by Justice Peter Kekemeke dismissed it for lack of merit.
“The petitioners have not complied with the provision of section (49) of the 1st Schedule of the Electoral Act.
“It is our view that the petitioners ‘ application lacks merit and so failed’’, he held.
Kekemeke also dismissed application of Shettima and APC for praying the tribunal to dismiss of the petition for also lacking in merit.
“However, the petition had turned academic in pursuant to paragraph 15 (4) of the 1st Schedule of the Electoral Act, 2010 as amended, this petition is accordingly dismissed’’, he held.
Abba-Aji had earlier sought an order of the tribunal, mandating INEC to withdraw the Certificate of Return issued to
Shettima because the election was marred by corrupt practices and non- compliance with electoral Act.
He is also sought for an order mandating INEC to conduct a fresh election to the seat of Borno Central Senatorial District.
- Rotary organises free hepatitis, liver screening for Abuja community
- Senate lauds Buhari’s assent to amended CAMA bill
- COVID-19: Nigeria strengthens surveillance to curb spread – WHO
- Condolences: Ekiti Assembly describes Fakiyesi, former lawmaker as an epitome of humility, openness
- ExxonMobil Nigeria gets new chief executive
- Cleric tasks religious leaders on establishing youth skills centres
- Banditry: NASS lauds army operations in North West
- Cricket: 150 participants expected at beginners course for umpires, scorers
- Nasarawa bye-election: Voters use face masks, observe social distancing, laud process
- Enugu govt urges proper exclusive breastfeeding habit