The Governments of Brazil and Cuba as well as many international museum operators in Canada, the United States and the United Kingdom have agreed to partner the Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi, on the multi-million naira Oduduwa Heritage Museum project.
Oba Ogunwusi who disclosed this to the News Agency of Nigeria in Lagos added that the more than N500 million museum would have their permanent locations in in Ile – Ife and Rio de Janeiro in Brazil.
He said in addition to its permanent bases in Ile Ife and Brazil, it would also have mobile features for it to be moved all over the world from both ends for the rest of the world to appreciate the Yoruba Culture as revered in Nigeria, Brazil, Cuba, UK and in Brampton in Canada.
He also told NAN that the museum project which would be unveiled at the Brazillian Embassy on Saturday would be a priceless investment that would boost the image of the country before the international community.
” UNESCO and the Government of Brazil are already in partnership with us.We are in talks with British museum, Canada’s city of Brampton, which has the largest population of blacks.
” Also, we are partnering with the Government of Cuba that has had a long term bilateral relations with the Kingdom of Ife, and over 20 other countries.
“We are partnering with the Government of Brazil through the State of Rio de Janeiro, the government of Cuba and others to achieve our aim” he told NAN.
The Oba said that the Obafemi Awolowo University ( OAU) and the University of Ibadan (UI)’sDepartments of History, Archaeology and Anthropology ,had been and would continue to be fully involved in the project.
“This project will give birth to a lot opportunities: socially, culturally, traditionally and economically for all Nigerians,” he told NAN.
The Oba said that the project being pioneered by the House of Oduduwa, would serve as the centrec for collection, preservation, , exhibition, and promotion of antiquities, treasures and traditional art forms of Africa.
“The Oduduwa Heritage Museum project which is priceless, has to do with the promotion of the ancestral lineage of Oduduwa people in the country and those in the Diaspora.
” A lot of work has gone into this; professionals and experts have put their ideas together to come out with a very detailed collection that has taken us over the years to put together”.
Ooni said that the priceless investment also would involve the collection of artifacts and antiquities for posterity and to promote and preserve the Yoruba culture.
He added that the House of Oduduwa had been working on the project more than 20 years before he ascended the throne.
According to Oba Ogunwusi, the international value and recognition that the project will attract to Nigeria has propelled him to continue with it since he ascended the throne of his forebears.
” We have rare collections of gemstones, antiquities and other artifacts in Ile Ife,and in Nigeria as a country that can never be found elsewhere.
“We need to collect them and preserve them because they were part of what our forefathers left for us and part of our cultural heritage.”
He said that there were other artifacts that had been taken away to other countries which we had been finding very hard to retrieve because they are littered all over the world.
He also disclosed that the largest diamond ever seen was taking out of Ife in the late 18th century.
“An artiste, Damien Hirst, once sold a piece of Ife golden head for over 110 million dollars and not a single dime entered our country.
“We have very ancient antiquities discovered from many places with some of our contemporary arts. One of our prominent art collectors got our display from United Kingdom and was bought for a huge amount,” he said.
The traditional ruler said that the museum would not just concentrate on monetary values but would also focus on the impact it would have socially, culturally and economically on Nigeria.
He said that the country is believed with several natural and cultural assets and very huge collections that are priceless and required international insurance for their preservation and protection..
According to Ojaja II, in the history of the entire black race which is the most populous people in Brazil are the Yoruba and that is why the House of Oduduwa chose to begin its partnership on the Oduduwa Heritage Museum project with Brazil.
He said that most people did not know that there were more Yoruba people in Brazil than in Nigeria, adding that over 100 million Yoruba peopl are living in Brazil while about 70 million are in Nigeria.
“All over the world our ancestral beliefs are still being practised, especially in Brazil and Cuba.”
“Through the Oduduwa Heritage Museum, the past and present pivotal roles and contributions of Yoruba people , Nigeria and the black race to civilisation and nation building in Africa will be better appreciated by Africans and the rest of the world.”
” What we can do is to display and continue to positively promote who we are: our past, our present for generations yet unborn to appreciate and be proud of ,” the Oba said.
The Ooni said that the project also would bring out the treasures of Yorubaland ancestors and by extension, Nigeria.
” Nigeria supplies between 30 percent and 40 per cent of gemstones being sold in Ireland and Hong Kong. We have a huge lot of it coming from Ife.
” If we train thousands of our youths on khow to handle these treasures, it will provide huge jobs for them, reduce youth creativeness and increase our GDP .
“We have gold in abundance and our ancestors had used the mineral resources and others to their own advantages in the past. We need to leverage on such opportunities for our common good.”
He added that several youths would be trained and be exposed to how they could refine such raw materials into commercial products.
He added that the advocacy museum would be commercialized to boost the economy of the country, as well as give the country and Yoruba people, a better image.
” It is about time for us to appreciate our own. It’s time for us to tell our stories ourselves,” he said, adding that would be the purpose that the Oduduwa Heritage Museum would serve to the Yoruba people, Nigeria, Africa and the world.(NAN)
Edited by Peter Dada
- NAFDAC partners PCN in combating counterfeit drugs
- NCDC scales up Lassa fever response in Nigeria
- Unshakable Mwamba make it two out of two as Women's action continues
- Mixed emotions for South African Guinness PRO14 sides
- Pakistan suspends flights to Beijing, seals border with Iran
- Fire razes 10 houses, foodstuffs worth N5m in Jigawa
- Agege Sports Drive: 2,500 youths participating in various games, football tourney
- 6 killed in Israeli strikes south of Damascus
- Kebbi Govt promises scholarship, healthcare to children of soldiers
- Political analyst commends Senate over proposed constitution review
- Sanlam Financial Journalism Awards entries close on 28 February
- Demand for electric cars on the increase in Germany
- Pompeo affirms support for Iraq, stresses ‘obligation’ to U.S. forces
- Music Review: Wande Coal drops an impressive single, ‘Again’
- Ghana and World Rugby join hands to educate Educators
- Malaysian PM Mahathir Mohamad resigns, quits his party
- Coronavirus: Wuhan government rescinds order relaxing lockdown
- Okowa urges universities to produce self-reliant graduates
- Clean slate for Imbokodo in Hermanus
- Conductor in court for allegedly stealing passenger’s ATM card, withdrawing N82,000
- Vodacom Super Rugby Review – Round 4
- Data Center Survey from Forbes Insights and Vertiv reveals Lack of Preparedness
- Rugby in full boom on Mauritius
- Bauchi govt. suspends chairman Kirfi LG caretaker committee
- Nollywood: FilmOne begins production on first movie from $1m China-South Africa fund
- Nigerian film, ‘The Delivery Boy’ screens at Pan African Film Festival
- Nigeria: All hands on deck to implement Special Agro-Industrial Processing Zones, says Minister Nanono
- Reps c’ttee summons NIMASA to explain unaudited accounts
- Tanzania wins Best International Wildlife Destination
- Troika Statement on the Peace Process in South Sudan – February 23, 2020
- Climate change takes toll on Zimbabwe’s natural habitat, UN deputy chief observes
- 10 years of Norwegian support to the Sauti za Busara festival and promotion of women in music
- Vacancy Announcement – VA-2020-001-ORE: House Manager
- Artists representing 12 languages join celebration of “International Mother Language Day” at the Bangladesh High Commission in Nigeria
- Statement of the Chinese Ambassador to Sierra Leone at Embassy's Press Conference on the Prevention and Control of the COVID-19 Outbreak
- Force Commander in Jowhar on mission to assess operational plans
- Troika Statement: Formation of South Sudan’s Revitalized Transitional Government of National Unity
- Neymar sent off as shaky PSG beat Bordeaux in Ligue 1
- Oyo govt. cautions residents against destruction of public facilities
- Manchester United outclass Watford to stay in EPL top-four hunt
- Kebbi BSC’s victory a result of govt’s vigorous efforts, Gov. Bagudu says
- Former Govs Chime, Obi celebrate Former Union Bank Chairman at 85
- Aubameyang goals give Arsenal 3-2 win over Everton
- Cleric cautions parents against keeping girl-child in custody of male adults
- Rodrygo to miss `Clasico’ for overzealous celebration in Real Madrid reserves game
- Kano Pillars’ coach decries Rivers United’s tactics in 1-2 defeat
- Umahi sacks two aides over alleged murder involvement, orders arrest
- Sokoto Hisbah records 606 rape cases in 2019
- Manchester City, Chelsea share spoils in 3-3 WSL thriller
- No kidnappers den in Ilorin – Police
- Don’t come to camp with fake certificates, DG warns prospective NYSC members
- Surelere/Ogo-Oluwa Constituency win Sunday Dare/Oyo Unity Cup
- Garkida Attack: Buhari sympathises with families of victims
- Bayer Leverkusen sink Augsburg to make it 6 wins out of 7
- NPFL: Rejuvenated Nasarawa United spank Enyimba
- EPL: Jota double for Wolves pushes Norwich deeper into trouble
- ‘Aiye’ and ‘Eiye’ confraternity members arrested over battle for supremacy
- Insecurity: Gowon leads ‘Nigeria Prays’ in prayer rally in Bauchi
- Lagos launches maiden farmers’ market, pledges commitment to harness agric potentials
- NPFL: Adamawa United beat visiting FC IfeanyiUbah
- Men gradually taking over beauty business in Jos – Survey
- Learning multiple languages builds intellect, say professor of linguistics
- Professor wants children exposed to multiple languages
- Notorious burglar arrested in Ikorodu, stolen items recovered
- IPMAN lauds PPMC/NNPC for success of ‘operation white’
- School proprietor says sports mould students
- FERMA assures constant maintenance of Nigeria roads—MD
- Nollywood stars light up unveiling of “Regina Magazine” in Abuja
- Osinbajo, Lawan, Okowa applaud Omo-Agege at thanksgiving
- Insecurity: Ebonyi govt takes security outreaches to churches, markets
- One year of re-election: Rep. Olawuyi restates commitment to inclusive representation
- Alleged certificate forgery suit for 7th time malicious – Hon Idrisu
- Supreme court: Kanu Agabi still Ihedioha’s lawyer – Onwubiko
- Kebbi Govt. partners UNIDO for independent power supply
- Lagos govt. inspects ongoing clearance, dredging of drainage channels, canals
- NSCDC personnel dies after writing promotion examination in Lagos
- UNICEF, Kano Govt. inaugurate TWG to tackle poverty index
- Lagos Govt seals 309 health facilities in 2019
- Why incest is becoming rampant in Nigeria – Experts
- Don tasks capital market regulators on bills to address unclaimed dividends, beneficiary owners
- Woman leader canvasses more support for women to alleviate poverty
- SEC assures Dantata subscribers of claims settlement
- CBN clarifies position on operation of domiciliary accounts
- Upsurge in incestuous relationships, threat to lineage arrangement – NAN Survey
- Roadside trading: C/River govt begins work on new market
- Grassroots devt: Badminton federation to introduce schools, junior championships
- Police search for parents of rescued 10-year-old girl in Anambra
- NAMA commissions CAT3 ILS in Lagos, Abuja airports
- Cleric tasks Christians on love, forgiveness
- Jigawa SDP flagbearer, Bashir Adamu, joins PDP
- Stakeholders want NAICOM to increase citizens’ awareness on insurance matters
- Explosion: DPR warns against sales of gas in residential areas
- Okowa salutes Elumelu at 55
- Clergy urges Christian faithful not lose hope in prayers
- Annuity contributes about 40 per cent investment to insurance sector – NAICOM
- Corruption bane of public education in Nigeria – Stakeholder
- Colourful Nigerian culture, tradition on display as Army celebrate WASA in Badagry
- Union urges FG to fund research for national development
- Senator seeks cooperation of Ondo community, BEDC over prepaid meters
- Oyo govt. to reintroduce Open-Day in public primary schools
- New Moon: Sultan directs Muslim faithful to look for Rajab 1441AH
- NDIC liquidates 427 institutions — official
- Foundation donates food items to IDPs in Edo
- SEC generated N194.48m from penalties in 2019 — Uduk
- Police arrest serial rapist in Anambra
- MNJTF Force commander visits amphibious units, tasks troops on synergy
- Police arrest driver for raising false alarm on herdsman’s attack
- Sen. Gyang urges colleagues to reject rehabilitation, reintegration of Boko Haram terrorists agency bill
- Abuja residents lament decline in local dialects
- Catholic NGO raises funds to support less privileged, poor in the society
- 37th Ramat Cup: SWAN urges Kwara Govt to host, reward victorious team
- NAICOM commences full digitisation of its operations
- Cleric cautions couples against divorce in marriage
- Cleric decries high rate of divorce among young couples
- Group tasks FG on PWDs access to reproductive health care services
- Association seeks partnership with Delta Govt on waste management
- Ex-CBN director harps on mechanised farming to check rising inflation
- Ogun police deny killing Remo Stars footballer
- NCC boss, others honoured at 2020 GAGE Awards
- In New York, Dabiri-Erewa, others stir Pan-African spirit
- Gov. Mohammad appoints Balewa as Mass Education Boss
- Nigeria’s Anyanacho clinches Tokyo 2020 Olympics ticket
- FRSC Unit Commander, builds, dedicated 100 sitting capacity hall to Corps Marshall
- Awka Devt Union kicks over NBA delay in hearing criminal petition against a lawyer
- Fury annihilates Wilder in heavyweight title rematch
- How troops repelled terrorist attack on Garkida
- Army committed to families of fallen heroes welfare -TRADOC
- Morales’ spectacular strike downs Real Madrid as Hazard limps off injured
- GSSS Pyakasa, Javino Model School win maiden FCT secondary schools cricket softball competition
- Gbajabiamila bags traditional title in Kebbi
- Customs seizes 140 smuggled gas cylinders, 678 fertiliser bags in Katsina
- Long three months ahead for Spurs, Mourinho says
- New signing Braithwaite vows not to wash Barca shirt after Messi embrace
- Van Aanholt thunderbolt against Newcastle gives Palace first win in 2020
- Falana accuses corrupt political elites as fueling religious intolerance
- Borussia Dortmund beat Werder Bremen as Haaland keeps up scoring run
- Sarri complains about VAR confusion
- If you must beg, beg govt not individuals, Emir Sanusi tells beggars
- Long and Armstrong give Saints 2-0 home win over Aston Villa
- Co-operative society advocates ranching as solution to farmers/herders clashes
- Kano Photographer organises ‘walk against drug abuse’
- FG pledges to deliver roads that will stand test of time – Minister
- Burnley beat Bournemouth 3-0 amidst VAR farce
- Abacha Loot: No plan to surrender $100m to Gov. Bagudu – Presidency
- Messi hits four goals as Barca hammer Eibar 5-0
- G. Jesus seals win for Manchester City at Leicester
- Marseille’s 14-game unbeaten streak ends with defeat by Nantes
- Ronaldo equals Serie A record of scoring in 11 consecutive matches
- Ex-commissioner identifies bane of education
- FG committed to making Yauri festival global brand – Minister
- Cleaner Lagos: Group urges Nigerians to imbibe voluntary service culture
- Buhari charges graduates on application of knowledge in dev’t
- Gov. Mohammed tasks traditional leaders on bush burning
- Complaints: CBN recovers over N82m for commercial banks customers in Katsina
- PDP chairman says party better positioned to reclaim Edo
- National Park Service needs more support from stakeholders – C-G
- APC chieftain urges Buhari to ignore calls against Oshiomhole
- EPL: Giroud on target as Chelsea beat Spurs to stay fourth
- LASG reiterates commitment to prioritise welfare of traditional rulers
- NAICOM worry over obsolete insurance laws,wants urgent amendment
- Don’t use God’s name to cajole people into marriage – Cleric
- Rigatta Festival: I have seen potential gold medalists, says Speaker Gbajabiamila
- Fintiri urges traditional rulers to mobilise subjects for self-help projects
- FG restates commitment to preservation, protection of cultural heritage
- Nigeria’s Homefort Energy wins RCCG’s $5,000 Kingdom Hackathon prize
- Solar-powered car inventor advocates promotion of solar technology
- Insurgency: TRADOC Commandant says army focused, ready to deal with challenges
- Ondo PDP elects Alabere as deputy chairman
- Girl-child education: NGO urges KDGS to establish female education agency
- Oyo govt. warns against unauthorised road closure
- Farmer/herder conflicts require real-time, practically-oriented solution – Malami
- Salazar link hit me financially and emotionally, Farah laments
- Adopt new processes to block revenue collection leakages- Anambra Assembly
- Tuchel surprised by PSG players partying after Borussia Dortmund defeat
- Mother, daughter, vulcaniser burnt as tanker explodes in Ogun
- NAF neutralises ISWAP leaders in Borno
- Nigerians should be prepared to pay more for electricity — TCN boss
- FG restates commitment to preservation, protection of Nigeria’s culture
- Declare Kalu’s seat vacant — Abia PDP chieftain
- Kwara monarch rallies support for entrepreneurs
- Ondo guber: I will accept APC panel decision –Kekemeke
- 398 benefit from NYSC free medical outreach in Anambra community–Coordinator
- Loss of family values cause of Nigeria’s security challenges – Pastor Adefarasin
- Nigerians to enjoy hourly train services on Lagos-Ibadan route soon—NRC
- Buhari committed to making Nigeria Africa’s commercial hub – ILDC
- New executive for South West Zone of CAN inaugurated
- Outrage as police vehicle hits, kills woman, injures others in Jigawa
- FRSC records 59 deaths from Lagos, Ogun road crashes in January
- Anambra Govt to deploy drone technology to improve healthcare delivery – Commissioner
- Aso Rock murder: NCWS calls on FG to bring killers to book
- RCCG extends assistance to over 50 widows of policemen in Sokoto
- Adamawa lawmaker trains youths on entrepreneurship, leadership principles
- Kebbi govt. restates commitment to creating more jobs, wealth
- COVID-19: WHO warns of reducing opportunities to contain spread, pledges support for Africa
- Z-SIP: Zamfara disburses N56 million for youth empowerment
- FG, nutrition group to develop roadmap to tackle nutrients’ deficiency
- Buhari mourns first NDA Cadet, Col. Ogbebor
- Home, IDP coordinator appeals for feeding, education assistance
- KDSG strategises to implement inclusive education
- Top-4 finish for Spurs will be incredible, Mourinho says