Two brothers, Olanrewaju and Kolawole Afuwape, on Thursday appeared in an Igbosere Magistrates’ Court in Lagos, for allegedly defrauding a clergy of N1.3 million.
The police charged Olanrewaju,44, and Kolawole, 35, with four counts of conspiracy, forgery and theft.
The Prosecution Counsel, Sgt. Tope Adegbie, told the court that the defendants committed the offence from 2018 to July 2019 at Alimosho area of Lagos.
Adegbie alleged that the defendants forged a document dated Aug. 18, 2000, to steal the N1.3 million realised as rent for the 24-rooms and two shops, belonging to the complainant, Pastor Lawrence Idowu.
He said that the offence contravened the provisions of sections 287, 365, 366 and 411 of the Criminal Law of Lagis State, 2015.
Nigeria News Agency reports that Section 287 stipulates three years for stealing, while Section 411 provides two years for conspiracy.
The brothers pleaded not guilty to the charge.
Magistrate Y.O. Aro-Lambo admitted the defendants to bail in the sum of N50, 000 each with one surety each in like sum.
Aro-Lambo ordered that the surety must be gainfully employed with evidence of tax payments to the Lagos State Government.
He then adjourned the case until Oct. 17 for mention.
- Wrongful death trial over ‘Walking Dead’ stuntman begins
- Israeli parliament set to dissolve itself, head into third elections
- House Democrats announce 2 articles of impeachment against Trump
- Nigeria, Brazil strengthen ties to boost economy, counter insecurity
- Gov. Matawalle warns mischief makers
- NJ Ayuk’s book Billions at Play: The Future of African Energy and Doing Deals now available in Spanish
- FMC Yenagoa marks 20th anniversary with free medical outreach for host community
- Anambra: Ojukwu varsity inducts 47 doctors, as Obiasor carts home 12 awards
- NNPC set to take measures to curb oil theft
- Gov. Ishaku tasks state governments on Human Rights promotion
- International Human Rights Day: U.S. Consulate urges empowerment of local leaders empowerment to protect citizens rights
- National security: Air Chief assures best training for NAF personnel
- Abuse: Create platforms for students to rate lecturers anonymously- Gender Activist
- DMO clarifies Nigeria’s external debt
- 35 land grabbing cases pending in Lagos courts – attorney-general
- LSFVCB arrests 30 sellers of pirated films
- Don calls for integration of orature into universities curriculum
- Lagos courts to go digital in 2020 — AG
- Anchor Borrowers:CBN tasks cotton farmers on prompt repayment of agric loans
- ICMPD to train 500 teacher-trainers on mainstreaming trafficking in persons into NCE
- College of Insurance partners international organisations to boost status
- Hate speech: NBC urges FG to promote news literacy, professional journalism
- Improve capacity building in medical image analysis, computer vision- Expert
- Jigawa, Kaduna, Delta tops 2018 states budget transparency – Report
- Swedish envoy urges strategic action, awareness creation against gender-based violence
- N80 bn budget for 23 Kaduna LGAs scales 2nd reading
- Nigeria supports global efforts on elimination of Nuclear weapons
- Yuletide: Stop using fake, substandard tyres to avoid road crashes- Olagunju
- NDLEA destroys 11,669 kg of illicit drugs worth N1.65bn in Nasarawa
- British Council presents development grants to women groups in Adamawa
- UN wants Somali youth to promote human rights protection for stability
- Institute solicits FG’s support to provide detailed survey, soil resources mapping
- Boris Johnson under fire as health survey finds many die in emergency wait
- 4 Brigade Troops arrest 5 for suspected murder, armed robbery
- Russian separatists in Ukraine signal support for peace deal
- Minister expresses concern over human trafficking
- Experts advocate mental health therapy for GBV victims
- Yuletide: Oyeyemi warns transport unions against overloading, speeding
- Israel reaffirms commitment to partnering Nigeria on agric technology, entrepreneurship devt
- Promote rule of law over self interest, Oyo Speaker urges lawyers
- Berlin declares emergency in climate
- Emir of Karaye lauds NMA over contribution to community health
- Nigeria Immigration Service Deputy CG, Anene, retires
- SWAN commends Gov. Abdulrazaq over baseball park renovation
- Germany working on defense system to protect airports from drones
- Buhari calls for multilateral approach to combat terrorism
- NECO: EFCC arrests vice-principal, 2 others over exam malpractice in Ilorin
- No reprieve for Hungary in EU grilling over rule of law concerns
- Without convergence, single currency will be catastrophic – ECOWAS Commission President
- Forgive me, Fayose begs aggrieved PDP members