Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama at the Summit of Heads of State and Governments of the African, Caribean and Pacific States in Nairobi, Kenya
Buhari calls for multilateral approach to combat terrorism
Abuja, De. 10, 2019 President Muhammadu Buhari has recommended a multilateral approach to combat terrorism in the African, Caribbean and Pacific (ACP) States, to prevent serious threats to security and international peace.
Nigerian President made the call during the plenary of the 9th Summit of the Heads of State and Government of the ACP Group of States in Nairobi, Kenya.
Ms Sarah Sanda, Special Assistant Media to the Minister of Foreign Affairs made this known in a statement on Tuesday in Abuja.
Sanda quoted President Buhari, who was represented by Foreign Affairs Onyeama, as saying that without an assurance of global peace and sanctity of lives and property, the ACP will be impossible.
Today, terrorist activities continue to pose serious threats to human security and international peace. Without assured global peace as well as sanctity of lives and properties, the ACP of our dreams would be a mirage.
“The ACP Group of States is well-positioned to recommend multi-lateral deterrent measures and future readiness mechanisms that would discourage the spread of terrorism.
“Through advancement of the rule of law, human rights, democratic values, tolerance and inclusiveness as articulated in the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) 10 and 16 in the Post Cotonou Agreement.
“The African, Caribbean, Pacific Group of States must take the measures since the ACP nations and neighbourhoods are most vulnerable to terrorism.
“It is only within a peaceful environment that our economic cooperation and national development can thrive,” Buhari said.
President Buhari also stressed on the issue of illicit financial flows in relation to human development and the achievement of the SDGs.
According to the President, it is imperative that measures are included in the Post-Cotonou Agreement to curtail illicit financial flows and promote the fight against corruption and recovery of stolen assets.
“This is the way to minimise the negative impact of illicit financial flows on the economies of African, Caribbean, Pacific States.
“The African, Caribbean, Pacific States will also be better served if we embrace and implement cross-jurisdictional instruments and bilateral agreements on illicit financial flows,” Buhari said.
Onyeama, who also spoke on behalf of the African Group at the summit, noted that for terrorism to be defeated in Africa, there was the need for a holistic and well-funded approach.
Onyeama noted that terrorism and violent extremism have had adverse effects on the economy, culture, psychology and social life of the African people.
He said unfortunately, the African continent has had to wrestle with different forms of terrorism and terrorist actors such as Al Qaida, Al Shabaab, Boko Haram and the Lord’s Resistance Army.
He added that as a result of terrorist activities, Africa has had to actively engage in efforts to prevent and combat terrorism by strengthening regional frameworks.
The Nigeria’s Foreign Affairs Minister also said that in tackling terrorism, Africa has also put in place a coordinated response mechanism to counter terrorist threats.
“However, significant challenges still abound which require that we all continue to work together to strengthen our capacities and resilience against terrorism.
“We believe that for terrorism to be defeated in Africa, there is need to have a holistic and well-funded strategy.
“We therefore urge our partners to continue to give us the necessary support in funds and logistics, as we give effect to the African Peace and Security Architecture including sub-regional security initiatives.
“Like the G5 Sahel and the Multinational Joint Task Force in the Lake Chad region,” Onyeama said.
Onyeama also pointed out that corruption had become one of the greatest impediments to social and economic development in the world and remained a threat to the achievement of the SDGs.
He added that there was no doubt that Africa has lost huge resources to corruption, which had also negatively impacted on the development of the continent.
“It is against this backdrop that the 30th Assembly of Heads of State and Government of the African Union held in Addis Ababa in 2018 declared the year as the African Anti-Corruption Year.
“In line with this, we decided to enhance our efforts in combatting illicit financial flows, strengthening national anti-corruption agencies, abolishing tax havens, and investing in democratic dividends among other measures.
“As we continue to make concerted efforts towards combating corruption, we urge our brothers and sisters from the Caribbean and Pacific, as well as our European partners to cooperate in building strong institutions to tackle the scourge of corruption,” Onyeama said.
Also on the sideline of the ACP Summit, Onyeama held bilateral discussions with Ms Sylvie Temon, Foreign Affairs Minister, Central African Republic.
Both Ministers discussed on recharging of the Lake Chad to improve sources of livelihood for Nigerian Communities living on the shores of Lake Chad.
Onyeama and Temon also discussed on the need to establish high level diplomatic presence in the Central African Republic.
Edited by: Felix Ajide
- Akpabio inaugurates N1.69bn erosion control project in A’Ibom
- Nigeria, potential hub for organic agriculture in Africa–Official
- Kaduna agency honours 15 taxpayers for timely remittance
- Ajimobi mourns late elder statesman Lekan Are
- NAN Box Office Analysis: Is Nollywood undermining the cinema market?
- Menstrual Hygiene: Foundation supports young girls, children in Jigawa
- Alumni association promises to use expertise to develop business community
- Poultry: District head lauds association for vaccinating local chickens
- DPR seals 10 illegal gas stations in Osun
- Music Review: Fireboy crowns single ‘Need You’ with an emotional visual
- Gov. Lalong approves layouts for servicemen in Plateau
- Cleric advises Christians to live peaceful, holy lives
- Emir of Muri urges mutual understanding, forgiveness among Taraba warring factions
- Don advises Muslim faithful on children’s Qur’anic education
- African Development Bank to invest $250m on water, sanitation in FCT
- Supreme Court Judgement: Anxiety in Bauchi as politicians spend sleepless nights in mosques
- DPR seals five petrol, gas stations in Kogi for cheating
- C/River destroys illegal structures in Etim-Edem Park
- WASA: Commander tasks soldiers on discipline
- Smuggling: NIS intercepts 42 bags of foreign rice at Kankara
- Nigeria’s border closure not to punish neighbours – Buhari
- Buhari symathises with Emir of Pokiskum, Umaru Bubaram, over bandits’ attack
- NiMet predicts dust haze condition for Sunday
- Nigeria targets first 70 by 2023 in ease of doing business — SGF
- Prof. Mallam, killed in Kaduna gas explosion buried
- Golf: 3 Div organises special kitty to honour fallen heroes
- My faith remains strong in Nigeria, democracy – Ihedioha
- How to prevent full-blown attack of migraine headache – Expert
- Presidential aide commends FG’s reform of justice sector
- Minister praises Adekuroye for Gold feat in Rome
- Institute to revoke certificates of non performing members
- Minister tasks Nigerians on patriotism, commitment to nation building
- 608 repentant Boko Haram insurgents currently undergoing rehabilitation- military
- APC governors forum urges Nigerians to defend judiciary
- NANTS demands comprehensive costs, benefits analysis on ECO currency
- Don calls for adoption of Malikiyya law in sharia courts
- Kwara Govt didn’t ban religious activities in public schools – CAN
- Zamfara APC commends members for perseverance
- Niger Delta ministry reiterates commitment to partner Abia Govt. on infrastructural devt
- Capacity building, infrastructure crucial to tourism development – Expert
- Kidnappings: Minister urges Nigerians to reduce desperation for money
- NAF set to induct 2 new Augusta Attack helicopters for combat operations
- Kwara govt constitutes White Paper committees on KWASU, environment
- Staff fitness crucial to organisation’s performance, NNPC GMD says at sports fiesta
- Barack Obama eulogises wife as she turns 56
- Chief of Air Staff commends Logistics Command after inspecting capital projects in Lagos
- Handball coach says, `Ban lifted, I am still ready to work`
- Medical outreach: 5,000 patients get free treatment in Adamawa
- BCDA executes 38 projects in Katsina, inaugurates health centre
- Lagosians express concerns following NAFDAC’s alert on using Paracetamol for food preparation
- Chronic Leg Ulcer affects 10 per cent of sickle cell patients- NGO
- Diabetes increases risk of eye diseases – Ophthalmologist
- Lekan Are, foremost Nigerian agronomist, dies at 86
- NUJ President commends FG’s fight against insurgency
- LCCI to collaborate with brokers to promote insurance
- Lassa fever: Medical Expert cautions against drinking Garri
- Access Bank secures final approval for Kenyan Transnational Bank acquisition
- UNIPORT gets 37 new professors
- Gov. Dickson inaugurates Golf Course as Int’l Open Invitational Tournament ends in Bayelsa
- Kebbi govt. inaugurates committee for 2020 Argungu Fishing festival
- ECO Currency: NANTS urges FG, ECOWAS to address corruption, other key priorities
- Rotary Club donates medical equipment to Alimosho General Hospital
- Yuletide: Road accidents claim 31 lives in Ogun
- A’Ibom Govt. donates relief materials to fire victims
- Niger govt. to partner NGOs on youth empowerment – Official
- Greenhouses protect crops from ultraviolet sun rays, pests – Expert
- 5,070 suspects arrested in 2019 for crimes, says Edo Police Command
- Recapitalisation: NIA lauds NAICOM, urges insurers to take advantage of extension
- Re-Run Election: LG chairman warns voters against violence
- Gov. Abiodun promises better relationship with students
- Gunmen kill 2 in Kaduna community
- Retired Nurse urges parents to allow their children to be de-wormed
- Enugu State Govt. trains 65 youths on tomatoes production technology —Official
- Gombe: NGO advocates stronger environmental laws to check indiscriminate felling of trees
- FG soon to direct public broadcasting outfits to priotise disability matters
- Umuahia armed robbery victim dies from gunshot wounds — Deceased’s brother
- Pregnancy: Gynaecologist stresses importance of ANC
- Global Fund: Health minister harps on 3 pillars for effective coordination
- CBN, Ekiti Govt. pledge to support NACOTAN for massive cotton production
- Nasarawa Govt. seeks stronger synergy with SWAN
- Gov. El-Rufai inaugurates Milk Farm Project for 1000 households
- Lafia specialist hospital to begin training of doctors on residency – CMD
- TCN restores supply after system collapse
- Coronation: Emir of Lafia tasks new traditional ruler on fairness, justice
- Prosecute perpetrators of violence, NMA charges members
- HIV: FG approves Omega Visitect CD4 Rapid Test Kit
- FG feeds 194,707 pupils in Enugu
- Buhari, First Lady counsel Garba Shehu’s son on patience in marriage
- New waterfront commissioner promises viability of Lagos waterways
- NIS inaugurates central store at headquarters
- LASEMA confirms building collapse, fire outbreak in Lagos
- Nasarawa speaker tasks community on unity, peaceful co-existence
- Kano State Fire Service gets Acting Director
- LASG calls for environmental protection, behavioural change
- CP parades 2 child traffickers, recovers 9 children in Enugu
- Japan’s suicide rate drops for 10th straight year to record low in 2019
- We will not tolerate personnel excesses in 2020 -Edo CP
- Human Trafficking: Omolola Ajayi arrives Abuja from Lebanon, handed over to NAPTIP
- 1.64m jobs created by manufacturing sector over time — MAN
- FRSC decorates 32 newly-promoted officers, marshals in Kogi
- London summit: ACFTA to top discussion as Adesina visits UK
- Ooni honours 100 Nigerian youth leaders
- Stakeholders seek more female scientists to promote STEM
- I will bequeath free, fair elections-Buhari
- China’s ZTE, local telecom firm start 5G technology trial in Uganda
- Nigeria should lead Africa on AGOA, says U.S.-based trade promoter
- 23-yr-old emerges best graduating student of JABU
- Multiple sexual partners increases risk of cervical cancer- NGO
- Former world’s shortest man from Nepal dies at 28
- President, Lagos Dance says, “dance, a viable tool for youth empowerment”
- Cambodia releases measures to curb, reduce air pollution
- MFM FC targets third away victory against Wikki Tourists
- Police confirm death a man in hotel
- 9ice marks 40th birthday in style
- EFCC arrests 6 over alleged internet fraud in Ilorin
- NUJ declares one week mourning for assassinated journalist
- Police nab 4 in connection with fight between two rival groups in Niger
- Onu solicits private sector support for methanol production in Nigeria
- N-Power: Plateau Govt. cautions citizens against fraudsters, fake portals
- NSE: Trading defies December inflation figure, index up 0.90%
- Gov. Oyetola wants experts in private sector to support Nigeria’s economy
- Commander charges 378 promoted FRSC officers to live above board
- Toyin Abraham eulogies husband on his birthday
- Akeredolu reiterates importance of NDDC forensic audit
- Benue govt. says negotiations on N30,000 minimum wage still ongoing
- PDP pledges to defend Nigeria democracy, institutions
- ‘Sugar Rush’ movie returns to cinema
- Don calls for Sharia Courts in South West
- 2 to die by hanging for murder in Osun
- FRSC tasks newly promoted officers on dedication, hard work
- We sag our trousers to keep in vogue – Youths
- Uzodinma appoints SSG, AG, CPS, others
- FRSC decorates 36 newly promoted officers in Bayelsa
- Abia Polytechnic to punish extortionists, says governing Council chairman
- Buhari departs Abuja for London ahead of UK-Africa Investment Summit
- Expert says vertical farming system preserves arable lands
- Ex-FUTO VC calls for upgrade of facilities in nation’s universities
- Lagos mass transit train: NRC to resume services soon – official
- NAMA begins calibration of landing aids at Lagos Airport
- Finance Act will reposition economy — Expert
- Xi meets Myanmar State Counsellor Aung San Suu Kyi
- Ore-Ijebu Ode-Sagamu accident preventable if… – FRSC Zonal Commander
- Insurgency: Nigeria takes delivery of fighter helicopters, gets more in February – AVM Abubakar
- Prices of local poultry produce will soon crash in spite of continued border closure – PAN
- Atiku proposes committee to review recent elections
- More funds, intervention will boost tourism sector, says NTDC boss
- Team Nigeria win 1 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze medal at African Track Championship
- FG to boost national economy with methanol production
- Gowon Estate: Mosan/Okunola inaugurates new CDA officers, tasks them on devt
- Teenager docked for allegedly stealing conduit wire
- Expired products: NAFDAC advises Nigerians to be vigilant
- LASEMA rescues trapped victim from collapsed 3-storey building
- Enugu Judiciary honours former Chief Judge, late Justice Eze Ozobu
- Ekiti court dissolves 3-year-old marriage
- JOHESU branch lauds Obiano, CMD on improved welfare
- Sri Lanka lifts ban on drones
- LASCODA, LASPARK to plant 500,000 urban-friendly coconut seedlings
- Sen. Gyang lauds security agencies over aid workers’ release
- N166bn debt: Electricity Coy begins mass disconnection in 4 states
- Kwara Govt. expresses concern over condition of students hostels
- Regulating gas plants’ locations to reduce explosions
- Court affirms Uzo as Senator-elect Anambra South, dashes Uba’s hopes
- Plateau Nurses association urge Lalong to employ Nurse freed from Boko Haram captivity
- Police wades into crises rocking Gariki cattle market in Enugu
- Vaccination, best prevention against hepatitis–Virologist
- Farmer urges government to train, empower women in goat farming
- Niger Delta Ministry pledges to resume work on pending projects in Imo
- National Museum in Lagos recorded 39,061 visitors in 2019, says official
- Nigeria public debt stands at N26.2 trillion – DMO
- Global Fund: Health Minister Ehanire appointed Chair of coordinating mechanism
- FEATURE: Migration, governance and media reporting
- Ex-husband docked over alleged N250,000 pregnancy maintenance arrears
- Kwara Govt distributes computers to MDAs
- NAN gets new NUJ chairman
- Special polio immunisation: Enugu State Govt. targets 1 million children
- Alleged N3.6bn fraud: Judge’s absence stalls trial of ex NDDC boss
- We can perform better with supports from stakeholders, says ex-beauty queen
- Driver, 2 technicians arraigned over alleged stealing of goods worth N2.1m
- Plateau Govt. trains 128 health workers for effective delivery of mosquito treated nets
- Uzodinma is best thing to happen to Imo – Omegara
- Association says mining challenges can be overcome with political will
- FRSC condoles with Ore-Ijebu Ode-Sagamu accident victims
- Sultan says social-economic pressure causes farmer/herder crisis, not religion
- Blame INEC for Imo S/Court verdict – Esele
- Landlord docked for allegedly locking tenant out of apartment
- Brain Drain: Association calls for improved welfare for doctors
- Man in court over alleged car theft
- Bauchi Govt. to re-open abandoned museum to boost tourism
- Mechanic docked for allegedly stealing 2 goats
- Town Union to foot JAMB bill for 150 candidates of Anambra community
- Zulum appoints chairman, 12-member Borrno Healthcare Contributory Scheme
- Auto mechanic in court for allegedly defrauding customer of N130,000
- Adamawa to designate court for rape cases- Attorney General
- Teenager faces trial over alleged stealing, breach of peace
- Welder docked for allegedly stealing phone, N16,000 cash
- Kaduna govt. constitutes committee to collate data on Almajiris
- Buhari greets Chief Emeka Anyaoku at 87
- Scavenger docked over alleged theft of generator valued N25,000
- Man in court for allegedly beating wife to stupor
- U.S-based Imo indigenes react to Supreme Court verdict