President Muhammadu Buhari has given assurances that there will be more resources for the country’s military, police and other security agencies to deal with the unwanted security situation in some parts of the country.
The president gave the assurance shortly after performing the Eid prayers with his family and aides at the forecourt of the State House, Abuja on Friday.
While assessing the state of security in the country, the president described the situation, particularly in the North West and the North Central parts of the country as “very disturbing.”
President Buhari said that while much had been achieved, security wise, from the situation he inherited in 2015, more still needed to be done.
He said considering the security situation on ground when he came to office, “Nigerians know that we have done our best.
“However, what is coming out of the North West and the North Central is very disturbing.”
Responding to a specific question on the performance of the Service Chiefs which recently, he said needed to get better, the President said that the military, the police and other security agencies are working hard.
“We are making available resources to them to even do better. “From the reports I am getting, they could do much better…they could do much better.
“But we are keeping them on the alert all the time to do their duties,” he added.
On the issue of corruption, President Buhari also assured that all past and present cases would be fully investigated.
“This is why we put the commission (of investigation) in place. There has been abuse of trust by people trusted by the previous administration and this administration,” he said.
He stressed that all of such cases would be uncovered and firmly dealt with by his government.
On the specific case of the Niger Delta, the President decried the wastage of the resources earmarked for the betterment of the lives of the people of that region.
He lamented that corruption had been unhelpful in that regard, especially “if you recall there is the 13 per cent derivation.”
He also warned against the vandalization of oil pipelines in the oil- producing areas which often results in environmental pollution.
“Those who are blowing pipelines and interfering with the production of petroleum products are hurting their people more than the rest of Nigerians because majority of their people are fishermen, fisherwomen and farmers.
“Now if they pollute the land and the waters, the fish goes into the deeper sea where the people cannot go and they cannot grow anything.
“They are hurting their immediate communities more than any other thing,” the President further noted.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that members of the nation’s first family, presidential aides and some staff of the State House joined President Buhari in performing the Eid prayers.
NAN reports that the president after the prayer personally slaughter his own ram in accordance with Islamic injunctions.
Edited By: Sadiya Sadiya Hamza (NAN)
Nigerian youths appreciate FG’s N75bn Investment Fund
Nigerian youths on Monday presented letter of appreciation to President Muhammadu Buhari
through the Minister of Youth and sports, Mr Sunday Dare, for the approval of 75 billion investment fund for them.
Mr Sukubo Sara-Igbesukubo, the President of National Youth Council of Nigeria (NYCN), who presented the letter in Abuja,
thanked the president for the laudable act of establishing the Nigerian Youth Investment Fund with an initial capital of N75 billion.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the Federal Government in July approved the establishment of N75 billion
Nigeria Youth Investment Fund (NYIF) for three years, following a memo presented by the Minister of Youth and Sports Development.
The NYIF is to serve as a sort of youth bank that will fund and support the innovative ideas, skills, talents and enterprise of the Nigerian youth.
Sara-Igbesukubo said that the fund was a special window for the Nigerian youths to access financial facilities for their entrepreneurial ideas,
innovations and projects.
He added that “the laudable milestone has shown that the present administration has the interest of Nigerian youths at heart.
“Today, the hope of millions of talented, hardworking and creative young Nigerians is being restored.”
Dare, who was represented by Mr Gabriel Aduda, the Permanent Secretary in the youth and sports ministry, said that
the fund would enable the country to go beyond empowerment to investment.
He said that the fund would help to boost youth investment in the country, noting that the ministry would work with Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN)
to evolve modalities that would ensure that the fund was used for the investment it was meant for.
“The youths will be involved in the decision making as they will be in the forefront to achieve the goal of the fund,’’ he said.
Dare said that Nigerian youths did not lack ideas but have not had enough opportunities to utilise the talents.
He said that “we are hoping that with the fund, the youths will put every effort to get it running.”
The minister advised youths to be more involved in social media to be abreast with current developments in the world.
Edited By: Gregg Mmaduakolam/Hadiza Mohammed-Aliyu (NAN)
Delta Govt trains teachers ahead of schools’ resumption
In preparation for the resumption of schools, the Delta Government on Monday begun sensitisation programme for teachers in Ika North-East Local Government Area.
Mr Innocent Ezeamaiwe, member, Ika North-East Rapid Response Team for COVID-19, said the training was geared toward equipping the teachers with necessary information on COVID-19, and how to manage the pandemic.
Ezeamaiwe said that the exercise was part of the state government’s initiative on the basic procedures for handling the pandemic in schools.
“The objective is to ensure the safety of teachers and students when we reopened the schools.
“The students and teachers are expected to adhere strictly to the laid down precautionary measures,” he said.
Ezeamaiwe also urged teachers and parents not to be afraid of the school reopening, assuring them that the state government was working out the modalities to perfect the whole process.
He urged teachers to be good ambassadors, by observing and adhering strictly to the guidelines on the prevention of Coronavirus pandemic.
In his remarks, Christopher Ekamagule, the Education Secretary, Local Education Authority, Ika North-East, commended the state government for its decision to reopen schools.
Ekamagule said that the students could no longer afford to wait at home.
He urged participants to maximise the opportunity, adding that victory over the pandemic was becoming stronger.
The training exercise took place in three centres – Owa Oyibu Secondary School; Akumazi Umuocha Secondary School and Ika Grammar school.
Edited By: Olagoke Olatoye (NAN)
Stakeholders highlight advantages of exclusive breastfeeding
Health experts and other stakeholders on Monday, urged Nigerian mothers to practise a minimum of six months exclusive breastfeeding of infants to enable them to grow into strong and healthy adults.
Alive and Thrive is a global nutrition initiative to save lives, prevent illness and ensure healthy growth and development through improved maternal nutrition, breastfeeding and complementary feeding practice.
He said that there was the need for countries to promote exclusive and optimal breastfeeding as a way of protecting the planet.
“It is a great pleasure for the Gates Foundation, working with the government of Nigeria, to support, protect and promote breastfeeding in Nigeria as part of the commemoration of the WBW.
“Two things are remarkable and noteworthy about this year’s celebration. The first is the theme that is connected to sustainable development.
Ajieroh said that the present rate of exclusive breastfeeding in Nigeria stood at 29 per cent, and expressed optimism that achieving the target of 50 per cent by 2025 was feasible.
He said that the theme of the 2020 commemoration “Support Breastfeeding for a Healthier Planet,’’ was relevant in highlighting those global challenges.
“The theme, “Support Breastfeeding for a Healthier Planet’’ is remarkable because it is coming at a time when the world faces two major challenges, climate change and the VOVID-19 pandemic.
“It shows the important role breastfeeding can play in solving these global challenges .
“It is cheering to note that Nigeria has made steady progress in exclusive breastfeeding, having moved from 17 per cent to 29 per cent in the last few years.
“The 50 per cent target for 2025 is achievable,’’ he said.
The Director of Family Health at the Federal Ministry of Health, Dr Salma Anas-Kolo, said that women that exclusively breastfed their children were contributing to a healthy environment.
She said that exclusive breastfeeding of infants for the first six months played a major role in raising a crop of intelligent youths that would provide purposeful leadership in future.
Anas-Kolo called on all women and men to continue to support and promote exclusive breastfeeding through advocacy and sensitisation.
Dr Uche Ralph-Opara of Alive and Thrive said that the organisation had, in the last few years, supported some states in Nigeria through survey to establish the status of exclusive breastfeeding.
She said that findings showed that many mothers believed that due to hot weather, their infants needed to supplement breast milk with some quantity of water.
“The breast milk contains 80 per cent water, so the infants can get all the water they require at any point in time from breast milk,’’ she said.
The webinar drew participants from the academia, NGOs, government and other stakeholders.
WBW is a global campaign to raise awareness and galvanise action on themes related to breastfeeding.
It is celebrated between August 1 and August 7 every year in commemoration of the 1990 Innocent Declaration.
Edited By: Chioma Ugboma/Ejike Obeta (NAN)
Man bags 1 month imprisonment for impersonation
A Kano Chief Magistrates’ Court on Monday sentenced a 23-year-old man, Musa Zakariya, to one month in Correctional centre for impersonation.
The Trial Judge, Senior Magistrate, Fauziyya Sheshe, sentenced the man after he pleaded guilty to count charge of impersonation.
The Judge sentenced the convict to one month imprisonment with an option of N1,000 fine.
The Prosecuting Counsel, Sgt. Ibrahim Tsanyawa, had earlier told the court that a team of Police Joint Task Force attached to Rogo Local Government Area of the state, arrested the man on July 7, at about 11:30 a.m.
Tsanyawa alleged that the accused person was found in possession of a set of Nigerian Army uniform and some documents.
“The accused person used the documents and paraded himself as a serving military personnel,” he said, adding that the offence contravened section 132 of the Penal Code
In his submission, Zakariya pleaded guilty to the charge and sought for leniency.