Bulgaria looking for investors to fund second nuclear power plant
The energy ministry, however, said in a statement that potential minority shareholders are also invited to declare their interest.
“The deadline for applications is three months and the process is expected to be completed within a year,’’ it said.
The ministry made the announcement a week after Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev visited Sofia and said that Russia’s atomic energy corporation, Rosatom, was ready to invest in the project.
The government in Sofia had stopped construction of the project at Belene in 2012 due to financial constraints and it now wants to sell it to private investors.
The Belene project has been strongly opposed by environmentalists.
Active COVID-19 cases in Bulgaria fall below 1,000
The number of active cases in the Balkan country decreased to 980 after 41 new COVID-19 cases were confirmed across the country in the last 24 hours, taking the total to 2,668, while the number of recoveries from COVID-19 rose by 138 to 1,528, the ministry said.
The death toll from COVID-19 rose from 159 to 160, the ministry said.
It added that 147 patients are currently hospitalised, with 12 in intensive care.
Edited By: Abdulfatah Babatunde (NAN)
Active COVID-19 cases in Bulgaria fall below 1,000
The number of active cases in the Balkan country decreased to 980, after 41 new COVID-19 cases were confirmed across the country in the last 24 hours, taking the total to 2,668, while the number of recoveries from COVID-19 rose by 138 to 1,528, the ministry said.
The death toll from COVID-19 rose from 159 to 160, the ministry said, adding that 147 patients are currently hospitalized, with 12 in intensive care.
Over half of Bulgaria COVID-19 patients now recovered
According to the ministry, 25 new COVID-19 cases were confirmed across the country in the last 24 hours, taking the total to 2,585, while the nationwide tally of recoveries reached 1,322 after another 116 recoveries were reported.
Currently, 141 patients are hospitalized, with eight in intensive care, while the death toll now stands at 147 after one more patient died in the last 24 hours, it added.
Face masks no longer mandatory, says Bulgarian premier
Since May 1, citizens have only had to wear face masks in closed public places like shops, churches, institutions and on public transport.
Restaurants, museums, libraries, cinemas, fitness studios and shopping malls have reopened again under strict hygiene and distancing measures.
Bulgaria catches 9 illegal immigrants in refrigerator van
Bulgaria has intercepted nine illegal immigrants hidden in a refrigerator truck at a parking lot near the western city of Vidin bordering Romania, the Interior Ministry said Wednesday.
The immigrants were found Tuesday night after the truck driver heard banging in the refrigerated trailer, the ministry said.
Police arrived immediately and found that the seal of the trailer carrying watermelons was broken and nine foreigners were hiding inside.
The foreigners, including seven men, a woman and a 16-year-old boy, said they were from Afghanistan. Three of them were treated at a local hospital, but their lives were not in danger, the ministry said, adding an investigation is underway.
Rose Queen selected online for first time in Bulgarian town
This year’s Rose Queen was selected online for the first time in the central Bulgarian town of Kazanlak on Monday, the organizers said in a press release.
Kazanlak was known for its Rose Festival, which has been organized annually since 1903. The festival celebrates local residents’ deep connection to the Rosa Damascena — the Bulgarian oil-bearing rose — for centuries.
Maria Petrova has received 3,577 votes and became the 52nd winner of the prestigious title, Kazanlak Municipality said.
Suzan Igleva came second with 3,169 votes, followed by Stefani Krasteva with 1,774, it said.
As many as 16,098 people have voted for the 24 participants, according to the organizers.
Bulgaria reports more COVID-19 recoveries than new infections
The number of COVID-19 recoveries in Bulgaria has significantly exceeded newly confirmed cases, the country’s Chief State Health Inspector Angel Kunchev said in a statement on Friday morning.
“The number of recoveries was 51, and the total already exceeded 1,000. It is 1,016, or 41 percent of all proven cases,” Kunchev said.
Only eight new COVID-19 cases were confirmed on Thursday, taking the total to 2,485, according to Kunchev.
However, two more patients have died, raising the death toll to 136, he added.
Another 320 kg of cocaine seized in Bulgarian capital
Antoaneta Pancheva, spokesperson of the Sofia City Prosecutor’s Office, said that the illicit drug, split into 327 packets, was discovered in an apartment used by a man in whose car 39.7 kg of cocaine were found on May 24.
As many as 248 of the packets were placed in a wardrobe in the bedroom, and 79 in a dresser in the kitchen, Pancheva said at a press conference.
Authorities also found and seized a professional packing machine and a scale, Pancheva said.
“It is important to share that this amount of cocaine is generally not intended for the Bulgarian market,” said Georgi Hadzhiev, director of Sofia Metropolitan Directorate of Interior.
According to him, part of it was intended for Asia, another part for Western Europe, and a very small part for distribution in Bulgaria.
The investigation is ongoing, he said.
Bulgaria seizes over 100 kg of heroin at border, three arrested
Bulgarian customs officers at the country’s Kapitan Andreevo checkpoint near the border with Turkey have seized 100.44 kg of heroin and arrested three suspects, authorities said here on Monday.
The drug, split into 200 packets, was found on Sunday night in the driver’s cab of a truck carrying auto parts to Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH), the National Customs Agency and the country’s Prosecutor’s Office said in a joint statement.
Authorities estimated that the value of the heroin on the black market would exceed 5 million U.S. dollars.
The driver of the vehicle, a 33-year-old BiH citizen, was arrested at the scene.
Authorities also arrested two other BiH citizens who were his accomplices, the statement said, adding that they were moving almost in parallel with another truck, but no drugs were found in it.
The investigation is ongoing.
- Death toll of COVID-19 crosses 2,000 mark with 98,943 confirmed cases in Pakistan
- Mongolia reports no new COVID-19 case
- NCDC announces 389 New COVID-19 cases, infections now 12,233
- 1st LD Writethru: 5.1-magnitude quake hits 795 km ESE of Port Mathurin, Mauritius — USGS
- LA Fitness club reopens in northern outskirt of Dallas, Texas
- India reports highest daily jump of 9,971 cases as total reach 246,628
- 5.0-magnitude quake hits 94 km NNW of Ba, Fiji — USGS
- Death of Geroge Floyd triggers protests against racism, brutality across the globe
- Feature: Following Captain Cook, sail into time of Endeavor as Australia’s national museum reopens
- Peru COVID-19 caseload rises to eighth-highest in world
- Authorities begin “house-to-house” search for close contacts of COVID-19 cases in Argentina’s capital
- Around 20,000 protesters participate in demonstration in Chicago
- Cambodia confirms 1 more imported COVID-19 case, 126 in total
- New Zealand has no new COVID-19 case for 16 consecutive days
- S. Africa’s COVID-19 epicenter seeking thousands health workers amid surge in cases
- S.Korea reports 57 more COVID-19 cases, 11,776 in total
- One more coronavirus death, fewer new cases confirmed in Spain
- 5.1-magnitude quake hits 99 km SW of Singkil, Indonesia — USGS
- People take part in anti-racism protest in Toronto, Canada
- People attend annual book festival in Moscow, Russia
- Churches, mosques across Jordan reopen as gov’t eases measures against COVID-19
- Chateau de Versailles reopens after 82-day lockdown
- COVID-19: NNPC lays foundation for 200-bed hospital in Borno
- 2 officers in New York state charged with felony assault after shoving elderly protester
- Peaceful protests for George Floyd continue in southern United States
- Another large-scale protest held outside United States embassy in Ireland over George Floyd killing
- Roundup: New York state steps up reopening as daily COVID-19 deaths keep dropping
- No new positives in Premier League COVID-19 tests
- Malta accepts over 420 migrants after 40 days at sea
- Protests spread across Germany over George Floyd killing in United States
- Hertha Berlin and Borussi Dortmund players kneel in tribute to George Floyd
- N-Power: No plan to absorb beneficiaries into Civil Service, says FG
- Tinubu celebrates Dabiri-Erewa’s mother at 90
- Impossible to play under United States Open’s COVID-19 protocols, Djokovic says
- D-G seeks creation of separate tourism ministry
- Portuguese encouraged to “go out safely” despite COVID-19 outbreaks in Greater Lisbon
- Senior Palestinian Islamic Jihad leader declared dead
- Roundup: Egypt’s president offers initiative to end conflict in war-torn Libya as fighting heats up
- Tinubu commiserates with former I-GP Smith over wife’s death
- Spotlight: Syrians complain of skyrocketing prices amid tough economic situation
- Roundup: Demonstrations over Floyd’s death regain momentum as thousands of protesters march to D.C.
- OPEC+ countries extend oil output cut to July
- Bayern Munich crush Bayer Leverkusen to stay firmly on title course
- Ali Baba seeks commercialisation of Nigerian festivals
- COVID-19: Lagos discharges 42 more patients
- Palestinian official warns against Israeli, United States attempts to normalize ties with Palestinian IT companies
- Arsenal whip Charlton Athletic 6-0 in friendly
- Egypt records 1,497 new COVID-19 infections, 32,612 in total
- Tens of thousands rally in France against racism and police violence
- United States welcomes Egyptian initiative for political settlement in Libya
- Jordan hails Cairo Declaration on Libya
- Roundup: United States equities post weekly gains as investors focus on economy reopening
- Roundup: Mozambique upstate shipwreck under investigation
- Film, TV productions in California permitted to resume from June 12
- Ganduje seeks review of W/African protocols to end herdsmen migration
- Demonstrators gather in Prague to protest against police brutality in United States
- ABUAlumni urges students to work hard for Nigeria’s development
- Food security: NGO distributes farm implements in Nasarawa
- Buhari assures Katsina residents improved security
- Update: Global COVID-19 cases top 6.8 mln: Johns Hopkins University
- UN chief asks for peaceful atmosphere in Burundi after declaration of election results
- UNICEF condemns killing of children in DR Congo
- 80 pct of total COVID-19 cases in Turkey recovered: minister
- NiMet predicts cloudiness, thunderstorm Sunday to Tuesday
- New York to accelerate reopening as COVID-19 deaths hit new low
- Palestine urges ICC to start investigation into situation in Palestinian territories
- OPEC and allies agree to extend historic output cut to end of July
- 37 injured in Lebanon’s protests
- Thousands join Black Lives Matter protests across UK
- CAN gets new exco in Plateau
- Institute urges NPA to include stakeholders in review of concession agreement
- Hungary, Germany to lift travel restrictions to each other’s citizens: FM
- UNICEF airlifts new batch of medical supplies to Yemen’s Aden
- NPA expects 16 ships carrying petroleum products, others at Lagos Ports
- Roundup: Libya’s UN-backed gov’t takes over western Libya, advances to control Sirte
- COVID-19: Arts entrepreneur seeks lifelines for SMEs
- Lagos Assembly Speaker appears before panel on allegations of corruption
- NASFAT seeks stricter punishment for rape
- North Macedonia’s minister urges media to end unconfirmed reports on COVID-19
- Alleged Rape: Coalition commends Police over case against Fatoyinbo
- Kebbi Governor donates N5m to victims of bandits attack in Sokoto
- Italy’s COVID-19 death toll rises by 72 to 33,846
- China approves new self-developed cancer drug
- Land dispute: Kwara Govt sues for peace between 2 communities
- FG poised to find lasting solution to perennial flooding in Jigawa- Minster
- Afghan gun battle kills 9 militants in eastern Kunar province
- Gov. El-Rufai urges FG to transfer Ecological Funds to Environment Ministry
- Niger LG rehabilitates 17km Roofia/Agwara Road -Chairman
- ‘Selma’ snubbed at 2015 Oscars after cast protested police violence, actor Oyelowo says
- Spotlight: Abolition of agreements with Israel may cause economic hardship in Palestine
- Kaduna lawmaker distributes 2,400 bags of fertilizer to constituents
- Tanzania to hold major annual trade fair
- Somalia confirms 85 new COVID-19 cases as tally hits 2,289
- COVID-19 : NNPC commences construction of N21 bn Infectious Disease Hospital in Katsina
- No more mercy, bail for rapists in Ekiti – Fayemi
- Lebanon sees violent anti-government protest
- Women group advocate stiffer penalty for rapists to curb menace
- CAS inaugurate 200-bed girls hotels, married officers quarters in Kaduna
- More than 10,000 fans could attend matches in Copenhagen after COVID-19
- Iran’s border guards seize over 2 tonnes of illicit drugs
- RB Leipzig get financial boost with 100-million-euro debt relief
- Infantino calls for patience on fans returning to games
- Foundation lauds Gov Fayemi’s enforcement of lockdown directive in Ekiti
- Brescia to terminate Balotelli’s contract for missing training
- Zambia FM holds virtual meeting with UN Special envoy for Great Lakes Region
- Enugu CP assures CSOs of partnership to check rape, sexual offences
- NASS member regrets comments on rape debate
- 1,700 new COVID-19 infections detected in Qatar, 67,195 in total
- Don cautions youths against social media addiction
- Romanian football fan jailed 90 months for attempted murder
- Tribute: Oni lauds Olumilua’s integrity, transparency
- AfDB approves 288.5 mln USD to support Nigeria’s COVID-19 response
- `No Knelling’: Trump renews criticism of protests during United States anthem
- Palestine exerts effort in UNSC to stop Israel’s annexation plan: official
- 5.0-magnitude quake hits 85 km NE of Tobelo, Indonesia — USGS
- ILO’s Better Factories Cambodia launches “COVID-19: Worker Safety” hotline
- Five substitutions will help with squad rotation —- Solskjaer
- Active COVID-19 cases in Bulgaria fall below 1,000
- Osun 7th Assembly flags off 1st anniversary with prayers
- Post COVID-19: Lagos Govt advises women to acquire skills, embrace agriculture
- Palestinians harvest wheat in southern Gaza Strip city of Khan Younis
- Iraqi parliament votes on remaining members of al-Kadhimi’s cabinet
- Firm unveils smoother, quicker painting product
- Africa’s COVID-19 cases over 175,000 – WHO
- Tomatoes’ price soar in Enugu markets
- Ajimobi mourns Oyo politician, Adelere
- FIDA advocates death sentence for rapists
- Interview: George Floyd death reveals United States’ double standards on human rights, says former Yugoslavian FM
- UNILAG set to boost entrepreneurship education through direct online platform
- Zambia’s wildlife orphanage receives donations from Chinese enterprise
- Environment: Lawmaker urges more effort to mitigate hazards in N/Delta
- Buhari celebrates Erogbogbo, the ‘Kind Teacher’ at 90
- Egypt’s president meets Libya’s Haftar, announces Cairo initiative for Libya settlement
- Aussie researchers reveal how cancer cells develop resistance to treatment
- Cameroon army kills 4 Boko Haram militants
- Saudi G20 Presidency calls for collaborative global efforts to fight COVID-19
- UK COVID-19 deaths hit 40,465 as another 204 patients die
- Messi trains apart as Barcelona put through their paces at Camp Nou
- Lockdown ease: LASTMA impounds 1, 233 vehicles
- Iran released United States prisoner on “humanitarian purposes”: Iranian ministry
- Firm launches ‘plastic responsibly’ initiative in Nigeria
- COVID-19: Pharmaceutical company donates sanitisers, face masks to ministry
- Tanzania’s Zanzibar reopens for tourism activities
- Vietnam’s COVID-19 cases increase to 329
- Spanish gov’t to levy fines on violators of face mask rules
- Malaysian PM appoints Petronas president to head Malaysia Airlines
- Merkel allies criticise Trump decision to cut United States troops in Germany
- Ethiopian expert says Africa can learn from Chinese pandemic management system
- Kuwait records 31,131 COVID-19 cases, 254 deaths
- Maldives construction industry loses 40 mln USD due to COVID-19
- Maldives reports eighth COVID-19 death
- Interview: UK epidemiologist says global collaboration vital to tackle unprecedented COVID-19 crisis
- People take part in protest over death of George Floyd in central Sydney, Australia
- Indonesian army chopper crashes, 4 killed
- India’s Western Coalfields opens three new coal mines
- New ultrathin nanosheets set to transform dirtiest water into lifesaving resource: Aussie-led study
- Ethiopian staff members trained as professional train drivers of Ethiopia-Djibouti rail line in E China
- Foundation empowers 100 infertility women in Nigeria
- Edo records more than 50 cases of gender-based violence during virus lockdown
- Indonesia plans to recruit volunteers to help contain spread of COVID-19 pandemic
- Sweden urges collaboration in conserving earth resources
- Explosion kills 8 in northeast Syria
- Italy hopes EU nations will open borders to Italians from June 15
- World Environment Day: Society urges Nigerians to protect planet earth
- PLO warns of Israel’s steps towards annexing parts of West Bank
- I-G condoles with PSC over Jumbo Offor’s death
- Interview: South Sudan envoy commends China’s COVID-19 medical supplies assistance
- Jos residents shun Hair Salons for fear of the Coronavirus
- 5.8-magnitude quake hits 104 km N of Ba, Fiji — USGS
- Sen. Folarin worried over increased insecurity in Oyo
- FAO intensifies desert locust control measures in Kenya’s county
- Thai state drug buster hands 600 kg of seized marijuana to medical researchers
- Two women killed in violent attacks in Carinthia, Austria
- Kenyan police nab 3 terror suspects with explosive materials
- Bangladesh reports 2,635 new COVID-19 cases, 35 new deaths
- Malaysia reports 37 new COVID-19 cases, 8,303 in total
- Interview: Death of George Floyd reveals Washington’s double standards, says Indonesian analyst
- 108-year-old Italian woman in nursing home recovers from COVID-19
- Ogun TRACE warns commercial motorcyclists driving against traffic
- Ole! La Liga fires up again after old foes unite
- France says its army killed al Qaeda North Africa chief, Droukdel
- Malians rally against President Keita, demand his resignation
- 27th annual Ulan Bator Book Festival kicks off
- Death toll in India’s chemical factory blast rises to 10
- People attend protest over death of George Floyd in Los Altos
- People participate in march to mark World Environment Day in Athens, Greece
- Iran reports 2,269 new COVID-19 cases, 169,425 in total
- Nomadic tribe begins bi-annual seasonal migration towards upper reaches of Indian-controlled Kashmir
- Legal practitioner seeks amendment of law on rape
- Protestors carry signs during anti-racism rally in Vancouver, Canada
- Chinese embassy donates food to less privileged S. African families
- Troops of Operation Accord kill 70 bandits in Kachia forest – DHQ
- Killings: Oyo police commissioner relocates to Moniya
- World Environment Day: Nigerians must recognise interdependence of all lives on earth – CSOs
- Flood: Adamawa govt urges residents to relocate to safer places
- NERC says 62.3% electricity consumers still on estimated billing
- Thai gov’t allows 7 more domestic airports to open
- Nigeria, India deepen bilateral defence cooperation
- India registers record single-day COVID-19 spike, caseload tops Italy’s
- Nigerian electricity supply industry recorded ₦119.46bn deficit in Q4 2019, says NERC