Berlin, March 1, 2019 (Reuters/NNN) Bundesliga leaders Borussia Dortmund slumped to a shock 2-1 loss at Augsburg on Friday.
Augsburg forward Ji Dong-won scored twice to give champions Bayern Munich the chance to draw level at the top.
Dortmund, whose captain and top scorer Marco Reus returned after a month out through injury, are on 54 points, three ahead of Bayern.
The Bavarians travel to Borussia Moenchengladbach on Saturday.
Dortmund had led the standings by seven points.
Their second league loss of the season came before next week’s Champions League round of 16 second leg against Tottenham Hotspur following their 3-0 defeat in London last month.
The Ruhr valley club, who beat Bayer Leverkusen last week to end a five-game winless run in all competitions, struggled to reach the Augsburg box and the hard-working hosts took control.
South Korea international Ji stunned the visitors in the 24th minute when he shook off two defenders to fire in from close range.
Dortmund, who had two chances late in the first half, were toothless for much of the second period.
They went 2-0 down when Ji beautifully chipped the ball past keeper Roman Buerki in the 68th minute.
Dortmund substitute Paco Alcacer notched his 13th league goal in the 81st to cut the deficit but despite late pressure they could not find an equaliser.
Fifteenth-placed Augsburg held firm to move further away from the relegation zone. (Reuters/NNN)
- World Diabetes Day: Association urges mothers to prepare natural foods for families
- Turkey qualify for Euro 2020 with draw against Iceland, France also secure spot
- 2 injured in Tejuosho Lagos fire — LASEMA
- CPAN says 2019 UTME marred by biometric, browser failure
- Efficient deployment of resources critical to universal health coverage – Don
- Why LASU is introducing 2-stream undergraduate programmes — VC
- Fellow officer defiled my daughter in barracks, policewoman tells court
- UHC: NIPSS wants Buhari to convene National Council of State meeting
- NGO calls for synergy on diabetes awareness
- Red Cross trains 30 surgeons on management of weapon wounded patients
- NPFL: Rangers pips Sunshine Stars 1-0 in Enugu
- World Diabetes Day: NGO provides free medicare to Abuja residents
- Agency signs MoU with bank to create access for loan for health maintenance
- NACCIMA president charges FG, states to patronise Innoson motors
- Pantami directs NCC to address issues of automatic voicemails on existing phonelines
- FG open to willing foreign investors in agribusiness – Perm Sec
- 4,000 Primary Health Centres have been revitalised in Nigeria – NPHCDA
- U.S calls for peaceful, free, transparent elections in Kogi, Bayelsa
- Buhari greets Wazirin Dutse, Bashir Dalhatu, at 70
- New Federal Polytechnic Daura to begin operation in 2019/2020 academic – NBTE boss